BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can't remember which way the rods go in

+4
BOSS 429
Paul Kane
hookin78
powerstrokeace
8 posters

Go down

Can't remember which way the rods go in Empty Can't remember which way the rods go in

Post  powerstrokeace January 8th 2014, 4:03 pm

I'm sitting here thinking about working on the motor this weekend and had a brain fart. Most time my machinest has put the rods on the pistons but not this time. I really need to see if the h-beam have one size bigger on the big end.

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Can't remember which way the rods go in Empty Re: Can't remember which way the rods go in

Post  hookin78 January 8th 2014, 4:23 pm

On the big end of the connecting rod, the chamfered side goes towards the fillet on the crank

hookin78

Back to top Go down

Can't remember which way the rods go in Empty Re: Can't remember which way the rods go in

Post  Paul Kane January 8th 2014, 5:46 pm

powerstrokeace wrote:Most time my machinest has put the rods on the pistons but not this time. I really need to see if the h-beam have one size bigger on the big end.
Ace
When assembing rods to pistons on the Ford 385 Series engine, the chamfered side of the big end of the con rod always goes with the same side as big intake valve relief on the piston.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 January 8th 2014, 5:50 pm

NUMBERS on rods go to the outside of block
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace January 8th 2014, 6:13 pm

New H-Beam rods ! No numbers
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 January 8th 2014, 6:51 pm

your engine guy should of put num's on them , in case he had to fit any bearings, sure would not want to get caps mixed up,or bearings.

and then theres side clearance,some rods tend to be a little different, Id be calling him
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 January 9th 2014, 12:12 am

BOSS 429 wrote:your engine guy should of put num's on them , in case he had to fit any bearings, sure would not want to get caps mixed up,or bearings.

and then theres side clearance,some rods tend to be a little different, Id be calling him
This!!! Get them numbered, makes life to easy in the long run.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 January 9th 2014, 12:51 am

BOSS 429 wrote:NUMBERS  on rods go to the outside of block

Number the rods you can get a set of numbers from the local parts store to stamp them on the rods. Plus it will make it a lot easier when putting the rod/pistons back in after freshening making sure the pistons go to the right hole. The machine shop stamped my pistons to what hole they went in when he did the machine work on the block and balancing but I still need to number the rods.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dtimmer January 9th 2014, 1:06 am

I would advise against smacking your rods with a chunk of steel and a hammer (ie a stamp). Do yourself a favor and buy a $10 engraver.

dtimmer

http://www.visnerengine.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace January 9th 2014, 1:15 am

dtimmer wrote:I would advise against smacking your rods with a chunk of steel and a hammer (ie a stamp). Do yourself a favor and buy a $10 engraver.

this is what i heard as well i will get an engraver to number them. the rods were finished on boththe big and small ends as they were a little under sized to begin with. they were all finished to the same size.

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 January 9th 2014, 10:43 am

dtimmer wrote:I would advise against smacking your rods with a chunk of steel and a hammer (ie a stamp). Do yourself a favor and buy a $10 engraver.

x100

this is the best way,because some guys were hitting there rods too hard, and you can deform the big end
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave January 9th 2014, 11:29 am

BOSS 429 wrote:x100  this is the best way,because some guys were hitting there rods too hard, and you can deform the big end

X100 to the one hundredth power! Can I get these techniques an amen? ...  cheers  ...
P.S. Before marking the rod in regard to the rods position and location, mark the rod correctly! We don't need to add "assume" into the equation .... do we.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down