BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

weiand 8021 work on dove heads, without loosing power?

+2
rmcomprandy
77ford
6 posters

Go down

weiand 8021 work on dove heads, without loosing power? Empty weiand 8021 work on dove heads, without loosing power?

Post  77ford January 26th 2014, 8:00 pm

I have dove heads not ported and an edelbrock performer now. I can get a weiand 8021 for free was wondering if this will work with my dove heads , this manifold i believe is for cj size ports. I would like to put the edelbrock on my other truck.

Will this work and not hurt power or should i wait and get the 8012?

This is in a 4x4 truck not a race car.
thanks.

77ford

Back to top Go down

weiand 8021 work on dove heads, without loosing power? Empty Re: weiand 8021 work on dove heads, without loosing power?

Post  rmcomprandy January 26th 2014, 11:11 pm

77ford wrote:I have dove heads not ported and an edelbrock performer now. I can get a weiand 8021 for free was wondering if this will work with my dove heads , this manifold i believe is for cj size ports. I would like to put the edelbrock on my other truck.

Will this work and not hurt power or should i wait and get the 8012?

This is in a 4x4 truck not a race car.
thanks.

Sure will NOT hurt, when run against the 8012...

As far as being better than the Performer, that would depend upon the rest of the build.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

weiand 8021 work on dove heads, without loosing power? Empty Re: weiand 8021 work on dove heads, without loosing power?

Post  jtmarten January 27th 2014, 10:05 am

I think you'd end up with alot of unwanted turbulence due to the smaller head port.

jtmarten

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 27th 2014, 11:22 am

jtmarten wrote:I think you'd end up with alot of unwanted turbulence due to the smaller head port.

That is what a lot of people proclaimed about the Ford Marine engines also, (Cobra Jet intake port size manifold with a regular port size head), but, matching the ports lost torque with no appreciable gain of horsepower.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  77ford January 27th 2014, 7:27 pm

Thanks randy, i had heard also it wouldnt work due to port miss match.

The engine is .030 over rebuilt dove heads unknowen cam Told "rv" I am gonna replace cam with a bigger one this summer not sure yet what cam. It is a big 4x4 play toy street truck.

I have another truck i drive everyday 460 d3 heads sounds like a little cam .040 over was in truck when i bought it . Has stock intake i wanted to swap with the edelbrock.

So sounds like i can do this swap and not hurt power on either truck.

77ford

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 27th 2014, 9:17 pm

77ford wrote:Thanks randy, i had heard also it wouldnt work due to port miss match.

The engine is .030 over rebuilt dove heads unknowen cam Told "rv" I am gonna replace cam with a bigger one this summer not sure yet what cam. It is a big 4x4 play toy street truck.

I have another truck i drive everyday 460 d3 heads sounds like a little cam .040 over was in truck when i bought it . Has stock intake i wanted to swap with the edelbrock.

So sounds like i can do this swap and not hurt power on either truck.

Keep the "Performer" for your application; maybe get a "Performer RPM"; (or FRPP equivalent).
A BETTER cam is a good idea along with a good carburetor.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty January 27th 2014, 10:47 pm

Several years ago I did an SCJ intake swap on an unported C9 headed stock stroke deal. Seat of the pants-o-meter said it was a better deal than the Edelbrock Performer that was on it.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney January 28th 2014, 1:19 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
jtmarten wrote:I think you'd end up with alot of unwanted turbulence due to the smaller head port.

That is what a lot of people proclaimed about the Ford Marine engines also, (Cobra Jet intake port size manifold with a regular port size head), but, matching the ports lost torque with no appreciable gain of horsepower.

I read this same type if deal when I bought my first engine book about 15 years ago (I'm a hack, so that how I started learning.) the point was putting the CJ style intake on a std head didn't drop power, usually gained. Interesting when you see the mismatch.
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 January 28th 2014, 1:30 pm

schmitty wrote:Several years ago I did an SCJ intake swap on an unported C9 headed stock stroke deal.  Seat of the pants-o-meter said it was a better deal than the Edelbrock Performer that was on it.
This trick has been around since the CJ/SCJ intake was first made, almost. Cheap way to recycle when the cars where recked or owners upgraded intakes and did not want the leftover parts.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 28th 2014, 1:32 pm

J.Toney wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

I read this same type if deal when I bought my first engine book about 15 years ago (I'm a hack, so that how I started learning.) the point was putting the CJ style intake on a std head didn't drop power, usually gained. Interesting when you see the mismatch.

To be honest MERCRUISER did the same thing with the Chevrolet big block engine putting a large rectangle port intake manifold on and engine with oval port heads and found the same scenario.
Supposedly, the large difference creates a 2nd sound wave throughout the intake tract, sorta like a "step header" in reverse.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum