BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Waterpump/timing cover bolts

+4
bosshoss
bbf-falcon
jbozzelle
mustang68mustangs1
8 posters

Go down

Waterpump/timing cover bolts Empty Waterpump/timing cover bolts

Post  mustang68mustangs1 February 1st 2014, 12:45 pm

Does anyone have a source for waterpump/timing cover bolts for the 429/460? I would prefer stainless in hex or 12 point. I found the complete engine set from Arp but i dont need all of them. As far as i can tell they are 5/16"-18 thread. There are (6)4" (1)2 1/2" (1)2" (3)1 3/4" (2) 1 1/2" bolts. Thanks
Bob

mustang68mustangs1

Back to top Go down

Waterpump/timing cover bolts Empty Re: Waterpump/timing cover bolts

Post  jbozzelle February 1st 2014, 12:58 pm

Either a local hardware store, local ARP source or buy individually from ARP. There used to be a local guy buy me that sold bulk ARP hardware. I found out about him by asking a few machine shops.

John

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon February 1st 2014, 1:21 pm

Local hardware usually has stainless

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss February 1st 2014, 4:35 pm

Be careful with the local hardware store stainless...

Not all stainless steel is created equal... The Aircraft grade stuff ARP sells is way way stronger than the 18.8 or even 316/304 usually available in the hardware store.

Then there is the whole... Stainless reacts with cast iron scenario if you buy in to that...

Not a real big deal I guess unless you are running a front plate that uses the water pump bolts to hang the engine from..

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Beast February 1st 2014, 4:48 pm

bosshoss wrote:Be careful with the local hardware store stainless...

Not all stainless steel is created equal...   The Aircraft grade stuff ARP sells is way way stronger than the 18.8 or even 316/304 usually available in the hardware store.

Then there is the whole...   Stainless reacts with cast iron scenario if you buy in to that...

Not a real big deal I guess unless you are running a front plate that uses the water pump bolts to hang the engine from..

dkp

I haven't heard of this before. I will be using the stainless bolts that came with my CSR pump and a front plate too so it's got me a little concerned. Has anyone actually had any problems with this or is it just a myth?
Beast
Beast

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 February 1st 2014, 5:45 pm

I work in food manufacturing we have to use stainless steel every where it is possible. One thing I would do is put anti seize on them if you going to put them in cast iron they will seize up if left for a long time with out it. One other thing stainless bolts don't take a lot of vibration they tend brake or seize up trying to get them out.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 1st 2014, 6:17 pm

bosshoss wrote:Be careful with the local hardware store stainless...

Not all stainless steel is created equal...   The Aircraft grade stuff ARP sells is way way stronger than the 18.8 or even 316/304 usually available in the hardware store.

dkp

Water pump, timing cover bolts from Ford are only grade 5 so getting strong bolts are not a priority unles they also mount ta motor plate..

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon February 1st 2014, 7:53 pm

Front cover bolts/water pump do not need to be grade 8,i've used hardware stainless for years w/o issue.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  mustang68mustangs1 February 2nd 2014, 10:06 am

Thanks for all the replys! I was going by what someone on another forum posted for sizes. I actually took mine apart last night to go from a stock cast iron pump to a new aluminum Motorsport pump. My bolts are as follows. (6) 4" and the other 5 are 1 5/8" i dont think it should be that hard to find them. The 1 5/8 can be 1 3/4 trimmed a little. Im not concerned about strength since i dont run a plate. I use mounts and a torque strap. I will try to use the best stainless i can find though since all is not created equal. I work as an electrician in alot of industrial settings and have seen cheap stainless rust and also magnetic. I will also make sure to use antiseize since i have definately seen the effects of gaulded bolts and fittings.
Bob

mustang68mustangs1

Back to top Go down

Post  rsears February 2nd 2014, 12:23 pm

I've worked on several projects where the left over ARP master kit bolts were just used elsewhere for other things In the shop. Could always buy the ARP kit and have extra good fasteners later for something no?

rsears

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down