BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

stock stroke- forged pistons with scj valve reliefs brands that make them ?

+6
windsor
IDT-572
kjett
dfree383
bluef100fe
5pointslow
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

stock stroke- forged pistons with scj valve reliefs brands that make them ? Empty stock stroke- forged pistons with scj valve reliefs brands that make them ?

Post  5pointslow March 26th 2014, 11:54 am

looking for a forged piston to work with SCJ heads

stock stroke and rod sizes . looking for 12-14.1 compression range .
i see Speed Pro 2443's on ebay looks but would need reliefs put in .  

anyone knows of an off shelf piston thanks
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

stock stroke- forged pistons with scj valve reliefs brands that make them ? Empty Re: stock stroke- forged pistons with scj valve reliefs brands that make them ?

Post  bluef100fe March 26th 2014, 12:26 pm

Gonna be tough to hit your compression ratio target without a dome piston... You might get to 12 to 1 with enough head milling and a flat top piston which is all I know of for off the shelf pistons in the stock 460 configuration.. I think probe makes one for the stock 460 stroke and rod combination with SCJ valve reliefs. If you want 14 to 1 it takes a good size custom dome piston to get there with only 460-480 cubes. The trw L2443 pistons dome isnt shaped correctly for the scj head and the valve reliefs are in the wrong location and they are very heavy.. Good luck with your build
bluef100fe
bluef100fe

Back to top Go down

stock stroke- forged pistons with scj valve reliefs brands that make them ? Empty Re: stock stroke- forged pistons with scj valve reliefs brands that make them ?

Post  5pointslow March 26th 2014, 2:24 pm

yeha i figuared i see everyon says the stock cranks are real stout ... and having 3 of them kicking around

i would get a set of h beam rods , and grab a set of scj heads . i figuare with the weight of the maverick should be around 2700-2800 with me in it

to run pro 9.00-17.99 dial .......i only need to make 700-750 hp and this thing is going deep into the 9s
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  bluef100fe March 26th 2014, 2:33 pm

I would just build a flat top 466-472 deal with what ever heads you can get your hands on... Keep the compression closer to 12 to 1 and the thing will be very durable and last a long time if it's just a bracket car... Dan Hobbs mustang is a perfect example of this and I think he is still running iron dove heads and was running mid low 6's in the 1/8 last I heard... Good luck
bluef100fe
bluef100fe

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 26th 2014, 6:05 pm

A flat top and ported heads will get you real close to 750 hp on a 466
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett March 26th 2014, 10:05 pm

dfree383 wrote:A flat top and ported heads will get you real close to 750 hp on a 466

yep  Twisted Evil 
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow March 27th 2014, 8:32 am

goin to use rons toilet setup on alky

like to get compression up to 12-13.1 area if i can but below is from rons website , i guess by that if im lower it will work . Most of the racers in Pro are using alky for its consistant round after round

talked to a few the other day there tune up dont change much all year , but they said the primer setup is huge feature that is nice to have

You can run higher compression ratios (up to 16:1 is ok, 13.8:1 is our ideal) if you wish but it works great on 10:1 too.
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 March 27th 2014, 9:23 am

I have done the dome TRW piston. stock rod length (H beam 4340) and stock crank with an cast iron SCJ head several times.

I am doing one now. If you can wait till next week I can tell you the deck , piston and valve to piston clearance.

The pistons are heavy, but the crank is short on stroke for a big block and with 4340 rods, I have not had any problem at 7000 rpm.

I would like to see the difference in a 3.850 stroke crank with a heavy trw and a 4.5 inch with your normal stroker pistons force generated on the wrist pin at the top of the exhaust stroke at TDC at 7000 RPM. I think we may be surprised.................

This deal is something that used to be done all the time, but now we have better rods.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow March 27th 2014, 9:37 am

have not bought any heads yet , figuaring the alum scj heads out of box back cut valves and have some bowl work would do it .

i have a vrigin set of DOOE-R heads , but by the time i have the $$ into them probly not worth it . Setting up for roller cam ect valves
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  bluef100fe March 27th 2014, 9:42 am

I assumed the o.p. was intending to use the FRPP aluminum SCJ heads which I thought the trw L2443 pistons domes wouldn't clear the chamber without a bunch of massaging? I figured trw designed that piston for the old iron heads dove-c, dooe-r, etc.. We ran one 466 with those pistons for a while... Stock rods and heavy pistons don't go together well with truck pulling... Ultimately I think what killed that one was no wrist pin bushings in the stock rods.... Pins welded themselves to the rod then galled to the pistons and broke the rod after trying to push the piston up the cylinder sideways.... That engine seen 7500 more than a few times... It was being lugged down around 4000 when it finally let go... Probably from detonation...  I wouldn't be afraid to try those again if a good quality rod was being used as Blake is doing...
bluef100fe
bluef100fe

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 March 27th 2014, 9:45 am

I was thinking he was using the DOOE-R's But it can be fly cut for the aluminum scjs at a machine shop for about $100.00.

Your right , 7500 is asking alot for stoke rods and that piston. But they sure wake a 472 up.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bluef100fe March 27th 2014, 9:51 am

Will the dome clear the chamber Blake? I never mocked one up but just assumed it would take some extra shaping to get the dome to fit the chamber of the aluminum head... I've had those pistons on a 466 with the A429 head but never the aluminum SCJ... It is amazing how much different the engine acts with 14 to 1 versus 11.5... Carry on
bluef100fe
bluef100fe

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 March 27th 2014, 10:04 am

The chamber is different, I'm sure the dome will need some lovin............
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor March 27th 2014, 10:33 am

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177522

Is this something like you're talking about?
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow March 27th 2014, 10:43 am

compression with those maybe a little less than id like but for that kind of money

.060 would work nice
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 27th 2014, 10:47 am

By the time you cut reliefs and domes , it would be a lot easier to just get a better piston as the speed Pro forged ones aren't cheap anymore when you buy them new.

dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor March 27th 2014, 10:49 am

You could just mill your heads a bit more then run pump gas and still go fast enough, and save some money on fuel.
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow March 27th 2014, 10:54 am

-15cc effective dish
----10.5:1 compression with 72cc SCJ/P-51 heads

above is at 72 cc ..... if you got the scj down to 68-69 cc how much would you gain compression wise ?
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow March 27th 2014, 10:54 am

info above is from probe piston from the 460form link
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  bluef100fe March 27th 2014, 12:04 pm

I would just call Lem Evans or one of the other vendors and get a set of flat tops with one set of the correct valve reliefs... Should be able to get yourself into the mid 11's or up around 12 to 1 if you mill the heads a bunch... I know a guy with a set of Charlie Evans ported SCJ heads that are milled a bunch and are set up for a roller cam... I should probably put a ad in the classifieds for the guy...
bluef100fe
bluef100fe

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 27th 2014, 2:00 pm

If your going to order custom pistons spend the money and get the dome and get the squeeze. If your looking for off the shelf stuff probe flat tops are a great part and pretty cost effective.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl March 27th 2014, 3:16 pm

5pointslow wrote:-15cc effective dish
----10.5:1 compression with 72cc SCJ/P-51 heads

above is at 72 cc ..... if you got the scj down to 68-69 cc how much would you gain compression wise ?

If you mill the heads .040, it'll net a 64cc chamber which will put you at 11.8:1.

Probe doesn't make a flat top piston for that combination, and I'd be hesitant to cut an extra relief into the OEM configuration piston they do have as crown thickness may be an issue.

We could have Diamond make some flat tops to work in that combination for about twice the price.  I'm not aware of anyone who has a dome on-file for SCJ heads, at least not on-file for public use.  We can have Diamond make one, but it's going to be even more expensive.

Another option would be to use our +10cc dome piston with OEM style heads (A429's, Edelbrock, TFS, Blue Thunder, etc).
Bottom of the page --> http://www.carsbycarl.com/Specials.html

Cool

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 27th 2014, 5:21 pm

Mark at Probe will add the reliefs if you ask and it's not an issue with the crown. I've added them myself to a set and have had no issues with the pistons.

Getting some domes made isn't a problem with any of the manufactures. A coupe of them have them on file but they are custom pieces. With a few you would need to make a mold.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl March 27th 2014, 7:36 pm

dfree383 wrote:Mark at Probe will add the reliefs if you ask and it's not an issue with the crown. I've added them myself to a set and have had no issues with the pistons.

Getting some domes made isn't a problem with any of the manufactures. A coupe of them have them on file but they are custom pieces. With a few you would need to make a mold.

Yes, Probe will add them. Having OEM reliefs added to their SCJ dish piston as we speak, but they probably won't even get into the top of the dish. Just need a small notch at the edge.

When you added reliefs to your pistons, what depth did you make them? What was the crown thickness before cutting? What was the crown thickness at the thinnest point after cutting? How big of a cam were you running and what was the V/P clearance? I know Diamond's reliefs are .190 deep on their "shelf" piston.

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans March 27th 2014, 7:41 pm

Thinking the probe scj reliefs are .150"...which is plenty.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next