BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collector car plates / registration

+5
bbf-falcon
jasonf
dfree383
norm
JBR-3
9 posters

Go down

Collector car plates / registration Empty Collector car plates / registration

Post  JBR-3 April 15th 2014, 6:07 pm

Last edited by JBR-3 on February 22nd 2020, 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

JBR-3

Back to top Go down

Collector car plates / registration Empty Re: Collector car plates / registration

Post  norm April 15th 2014, 6:46 pm

Michigan has "classic" car plates that have basically the same stipulations you have. To and from car shows,parades etc. We also have what's called an "authentic" plate. A 79 vehicle would need a 1979 license plate that you apply for a registration for. I have an authentic plate on mine. Never had any issues but I don't drive it much. I don't think they'd mess with you just because of the plate.
norm
norm

Back to top Go down

Collector car plates / registration Empty Re: Collector car plates / registration

Post  dfree383 April 15th 2014, 7:01 pm

I have Washington plates on my 66, but don't drive it much.

I wouldn't try and use them for a daily driver or a beater ride.

Also Hagerty insurance is the ticket for classic stuff, they understand the value of nice older cars. But I also wouldn't try using it for beaters or daily drives. You get caught it could be pretty costly.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf April 15th 2014, 7:35 pm

With collector insurance you need to have another registered vehicle for regular use. If it is the only vehicle you have then it might not fly.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon April 15th 2014, 10:56 pm

Basically the same way here.I have historical tags on my old 52 Ford truck.I drive it every day in summer.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller April 16th 2014, 12:33 am

JBR-3 wrote:I'm in Washington state. Here, if your car is 30 years old, you can get Collector plates for $51.75.
They are good for the life of the vehicle, no more renewals.
However, they say you can't use the car "for regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle".

Anyone here do that ?

I don't see how they can tell anything when you are driving it, oh, say, to and from work, or..............
Also, I have no idea how this might affect your insurance.

What I'm curious about is if you've had problems/hassles based on the registration, this doesn't count
being stopped for speeding or something unrelated.

I live in Ohio and have Collectors Plates on my car.It can't be your primary transportation and when i renew the sticker every year you have to put your primary vehicle license plate number on the paper work.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon April 17th 2014, 8:58 am

Mark,I was unaware that there was a difference in A collector plate and Historical plate. My ole truck has historical and there's no stickers and its good for 50 years w/o renewal. Exclamation 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn M. April 17th 2014, 9:34 am

I'm using YOM (Year Of Manufacture) plates on my '61 in VA. As "insurance" for the certification of safety (Stating that the car is safe to drive) that I signed when registering it, I just get the usual yearly VA safety inspection done. There's no requirement to get that inspection on an antique vehicle. The cops never look at my car because I keep the sticker current. They could get tough and pull an "inspection" on the side of the road if they wanted to.
If the cops see ladder racks and ladders on an antiqe-tagged pickup, especially if the truck is a beater, looks bad, and has a bunch of roofing shingles in the bed, you can imagine what they're thinking...

Glenn M.
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD April 17th 2014, 10:37 am

My '87 is a daily driver and my '64 is a play car. Don't even mess with the 'special' plates, too many "iffys" if they stop ya'. Don't want to raise any red flags  Embarassed .

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller April 19th 2014, 12:44 am

bbf-falcon wrote:Mark,I was unaware that there was a difference in A collector plate and Historical plate. My ole truck has historical and there's no stickers and its good for 50 years w/o renewal. Exclamation 

Rick,back 10 years ago when i got the Collector Plates i don't think my car was old enough for Historical Plates.It still might not be old enough for Historical Plates,how old does the vehicle have to be for Historical Plates?

Thanks Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  GaryS April 19th 2014, 9:14 am

Michigan Authentic Plate is a $35 'permanent' plate with auto related events and maintenance restrictions. No renewal. No tabs. No inspection. Insurance cheaper. Never stopped in five years. Drive regularly all summer. I'm always going to a 'auto related event or maintenance'
GaryS
GaryS

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon April 19th 2014, 5:20 pm

Rick,back 10 years ago when i got the Collector Plates i don't think my car was old enough for Historical Plates.It still might not be old enough for Historical Plates,how old does the vehicle have to be for Historical Plates?

Thanks Mark.[/quote]

Mark,im not sure,maybe 30yrs.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller April 19th 2014, 11:58 pm

Rick,you could be right if so i have to wait another 5 years as my car is 25 years old now. Very Happy Very Happy 

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down