BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DB Electrical starters on larger engines?

+9
richter69
cool40
bbf-falcon
Frank Merkl
IDT-572
D. Sea
Lem Evans
69F100
David Cole
13 posters

Go down

DB Electrical starters on larger engines? Empty DB Electrical starters on larger engines?

Post  David Cole May 22nd 2014, 11:49 am

Has anyone used the DB Electrical starters on larger engines with good results?  Lot of threads about them, with mostly good reports.  However, the majority of them were reported as being used on 466, 472, perhaps a 514 ci engine.   How about any used on a 14:1 598ci deal?

These are the pmgr type mini starters.  This one:
http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-1324-new-ford-mini-starter-truck-van-mercury-460-engine-3226-sfd0030.aspx

I recently broke the planetary in my CVR Denso style starter.  It's been a good one.  12 yrs old on 557-588-598 alky injected combos.  Doesn't owe me anything.  I got it fixed at a local starter shop for $95 and put it back on.   I got to thinking I need a spare in the trailer, so on a whim I ordered a DB Electrical unit.  It might not handle it, but I figured it would be worth a shot at the price.  

Got it it, it looks decent enough.  Tested it with jumper cables and then drilled the threads out of the upper bolt hole since I use an Ultra Bell.   Back in the box and into the trailer.

Edit: I found why I got the kickback that broke the planetary on the CVR starter. Low Voltage. The nut on the Ford style solenoid (down low on my fire wall) that held the battery cable on had loosened up. Found where it was so loose it had been arcing. Cleaned up and tight now.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

DB Electrical starters on larger engines? Empty Re: DB Electrical starters on larger engines?

Post  69F100 May 22nd 2014, 12:22 pm

David Cole wrote:Has anyone used the DB Electrical starters on larger engines with good results?  Lot of threads about them, with mostly good reports.  However, the majority of them were reported as being used on 466, 472, perhaps a 514 ci engine.   How about any used on a 14:1 598ci deal?

These are the pmgr type mini starters.  This one:
http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-1324-new-ford-mini-starter-truck-van-mercury-460-engine-3226-sfd0030.aspx

I recently broke the planetary in my CVR Denso style starter.  It's been a good one.  12 yrs old on 557-588-598 alky injected combos.  Doesn't owe me anything.  I got it fixed at a local starter shop for $95 and put it back on.   I got to thinking I need a spare in the trailer, so on a whim I ordered a DB Electrical unit.  It might not handle it, but I figured it would be worth a shot at the price.  

Got it it, it looks decent enough.  Tested it with jumper cables and then drilled the threads out of the upper bolt hole since I use an Ultra Bell.   Back in the box and into the trailer.

Edit: I found why I got the kickback that broke the planetary on the CVR starter.  Low Voltage.  The nut on the Ford style solenoid (down low on my fire wall) that held the battery cable on had loosened up.  Found where it was so loose it had been arcing.  Cleaned up and tight now.

I ran one on my 552 14.7 c/r  it had a broke ear on top my bottom bolt on my c6 striped out and let the starter get loose put a wash and bolt all the way thro trans and Helicoil tread in the bottom work good until the battery was low and it kicked back and finished the ear off. I put a mini hi tq starter back on I bought for a back up. But I had great service out of it other my mistake with the bolts going to get one to have as a back when and if the mini goes out.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

DB Electrical starters on larger engines? Empty Re: DB Electrical starters on larger engines?

Post  Lem Evans May 22nd 2014, 12:54 pm

If the DB units have as much tq. as the production 460 Ford mini starters they'll do your 598" just fine.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea May 22nd 2014, 2:10 pm

David,

I used to run one and I have one on Dads Nova. Good starters however I broke the one in my car with the 534ci. Been running a truck starter ever since and IMO the truck starter works much better and I can now remove the starter without removing any header tubes. Plus the exact same starter is on my tow truck AND I have a lifetime warranty on the starter via O'Reilly.

Get the truck starter IMO.

D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 May 22nd 2014, 3:20 pm

15.3:1 580 inch on 16 volt battery and it sounds like it has no spark plugs in it when its cranking.  Cool 
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl May 22nd 2014, 7:27 pm

great starters for the price ! they just don't like kick backs ! but none due ! there all I use as there $30 cheaper that I can find them here
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon May 22nd 2014, 8:19 pm

My 557 14.1 twirls great w/just 1 12v battery. Easier to install than a stock (big) Ford starter. I bought 2 for less than $100,and he sent both @ free shipping. Cool 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 May 22nd 2014, 9:07 pm

I got one for a spare and it wouldn't fit because of the oil pan.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 May 22nd 2014, 11:00 pm

IDT-572 wrote:15.3:1 580 inch on 16 volt battery and it sounds like it has no spark plugs in it when its cranking.  Cool 

16v is the tits.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  torino501 May 24th 2014, 12:19 pm

2 motorcraft 850's parallel with 00 welding lead for power and ground FTW...!!!!

torino501

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra May 25th 2014, 6:23 am

cool40 wrote:I got one for a spare and it wouldn't fit because of the oil pan.
That's why I like the summit mini starter with its 18 positions
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  aquartlow May 25th 2014, 7:06 am

I liked the little DB starter's size, power and price, but after a couple of weeks being installed the starter wouldn't fully engage my flywheel causing it to grind. I sent the 1st one back and DB took care of it, quickly(GREAT customer service). I installed the new starter and after a few weeks the same thing, starter grinding, so I returned it for replacement. Frustrated/concerned about maybe having a flywheel issue, I picked up and installed a used '96 F350 w/460 auto starter from a U-pull-it yard and haven't had a problem since and that has been 4 months ago. I now have my 3rd brand new DB 460 starter that resides on my shelf if I ever need it. I don't use my vehicle all the time, I only put about 5K a year on it, so it may or may not get more use than others here that use the DB starter. It sucks when you are at a cruise-in or wherever and you attempt a start and it grinds(loudly), reminds me of a badly shimmed GM starter. DB's customer service is excellent, though the performance/longevity of their starter falls short(at least in my experience). Good luck. Todd
aquartlow
aquartlow

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick May 25th 2014, 9:54 am

D. Sea wrote:David,

I used to run one and I have one on Dads Nova.  Good starters however I broke the one in my car with the 534ci.   Been running a truck starter ever since and IMO the truck starter works much better and I can now remove the starter without removing any header tubes.  Plus the exact same starter is on my tow truck AND I have a lifetime warranty on the starter via O'Reilly.

Get the truck starter IMO.

X2. Use the '96 Ford truck deal...and get a lifetime warranty on a RACECAR part for a change.  cheers 
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down