car will not e.t

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

car will not e.t

Post  johndickjr on May 25th 2014, 10:09 pm

quick run down on car, its a fox body, slightly gutted, 8.8 rear with spool and 3.73 gears 275-60 DR, built c6 tranny with a 4000 freak show converter, motor is a 60 over 460, srp pistons and h beam rods, Herbert solid roller cam .685 lift..260--270 @.050   with alum cobra jet heads, 1050 dommie and vic intake, best so far is 11.05 @125 shifting at 5500, any higher and it dont help, 60ft in the 1.70-1.80 range , it will just not 60ft , i feel that the car should be 10.50s. i made a pass in it Friday and it just seemed to not want to hit the rpm at all, took way to long to recover from 1-2-3 shifts ,( i put the car in the sand traps in Tulsa Friday cause the brake pedal went to the floor ) but that is a different issue

johndickjr

Posts : 869
Join date : 2009-08-06
Location : northeast oklahoma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  BigRigTech on May 25th 2014, 10:35 pm

I had what should have been a lesser 468 combo (490HP) last year with stock D2-PI heads and a C6/4000 stall and it ran a best of 10.64 and 1.50 60ft. It always went 1.52-1.56 in the 60. 9" diff with 3.89 gears, SSM bars on the back with no ARB. Gutted 87 Fox hatch with a fiberglass hood and hatch. Mine pulled so hard in 1st I was short shifting to 2nd around 5500 as I couldn't wait for the shift light or I'd be on the 6200 pill...LOL....Foot brake car too. It went 10.80-10.90 all summer in the heat and humidity. Are you sure the converter is stalling as advertised? How much timing are you running? Mine liked 38* on the dyno on pump gas.
avatar
BigRigTech

Posts : 763
Join date : 2013-06-17
Location : Hatchet Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  514Fox87 on May 25th 2014, 10:51 pm

What ignition box do you have? Mine wouldn't ET last year and I chased it all season. Turns out it was the 6 AL. Never missed popped or gave any sign it was bad.
avatar
514Fox87

Posts : 436
Join date : 2009-08-08
Age : 52
Location : Harrington DE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  bigblok2000ranger on May 25th 2014, 11:08 pm

With 125mph trap speeds it should be high 10.50's-low 10.60's. 250/260@.050" in a 466 should pull hard to 6500-7000 easily. I would look real hard at your fuel system and ignition. Check your pump output, jetting, filters, in your ignition look for spark scatter signs of detonation or starvation.
avatar
bigblok2000ranger

Posts : 1745
Join date : 2010-04-07
Age : 39
Location : Beloit,WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  BigRigTech on May 25th 2014, 11:14 pm

bigblok2000ranger wrote:With 125mph trap speeds it should be high 10.50's-low 10.60's. 250/260@.050" in a 466 should pull hard to 6500-7000 easily. I would look real hard at your fuel system and ignition. Check your pump output, jetting, filters, in your ignition look for spark scatter signs of detonation or starvation.
That's kinda what I was thinking, I ran a 10.64 @ 125 with an 850DP and a Holley blue pump.
avatar
BigRigTech

Posts : 763
Join date : 2013-06-17
Location : Hatchet Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  powerstrokeace on May 25th 2014, 11:37 pm

Dis you degree the cam when you put it together?

Ace
avatar
powerstrokeace

Posts : 1492
Join date : 2009-09-07
Location : colorado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  cool40 on May 25th 2014, 11:39 pm

Check the easy stuff first.another thing to look at would be valve springs.
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7135
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  bigjohn2007 on May 26th 2014, 12:10 am

 scratch 5500?
avatar
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 790
Join date : 2009-08-19
Age : 39
Location : Cerro Gordo n.c

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  nitrous.f on May 26th 2014, 8:43 am

if 60ft 1.70-1.80's like other people are telling you your problem in the rear gearing and converter area if you as me! those are 60ft that I use to do with my 88 coupe 306 mustang with a t-5! Very Happy 
avatar
nitrous.f

Posts : 271
Join date : 2011-06-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  Dave De on May 26th 2014, 9:38 am

The gear may be fine with 28" tall tires. Most Likely it's valve springs but another stupid idea. Is the carb opening all the way? Your engine should run well into the upper 6k rpm but something is cutting the top off.
avatar
Dave De

Posts : 527
Join date : 2011-05-27
Location : Utica, MI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  powerstrokeace on May 26th 2014, 9:41 am

What kind of timing gear did you use ?

Ace
avatar
powerstrokeace

Posts : 1492
Join date : 2009-09-07
Location : colorado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  maverick on May 26th 2014, 10:19 am

What rpm in the traps?
avatar
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 3051
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  richter69 on May 26th 2014, 10:22 am

sounds like the sprag is broke in the converter.
avatar
richter69

Posts : 13645
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 47
Location : In the winners circle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  dfree383 on May 26th 2014, 10:53 am

Ignition, Fuel and Springs are the three things to check first.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 14021
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  johndickjr on May 26th 2014, 11:22 am

BigRigTech wrote:I had what should have been a lesser 468 combo (490HP) last year with stock D2-PI heads and a C6/4000 stall and it ran a best of 10.64 and 1.50 60ft. It always went 1.52-1.56 in the 60. 9" diff with 3.89 gears, SSM bars on the back with no ARB. Gutted 87 Fox hatch with a fiberglass hood and hatch. Mine pulled so hard in 1st I was short shifting to 2nd around 5500 as I couldn't wait for the shift light or I'd be on the 6200 pill...LOL....Foot brake car too. It went 10.80-10.90 all summer in the heat and humidity. Are you sure the converter is stalling as advertised? How much timing are you running? Mine liked 38* on the dyno on pump gas.
36 degrees..i had it at 3000 + on foot brake

johndickjr

Posts : 869
Join date : 2009-08-06
Location : northeast oklahoma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  johndickjr on May 26th 2014, 11:22 am

514Fox87 wrote:What ignition box do you have?  Mine wouldn't ET last year and I chased it all season.  Turns out it was the 6 AL.  Never missed popped or gave any sign it was bad.  
he has a summit box

johndickjr

Posts : 869
Join date : 2009-08-06
Location : northeast oklahoma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  johndickjr on May 26th 2014, 11:24 am

bigblok2000ranger wrote:With 125mph trap speeds it should be high 10.50's-low 10.60's. 250/260@.050" in a 466 should pull hard to 6500-7000 easily. I would look real hard at your fuel system and ignition. Check your pump output, jetting, filters, in your ignition look for spark scatter signs of detonation or starvation.
fuel system is nice, has a big magne fuel or areo fuel or something like that, its a big ole dude, -8 line all the way

johndickjr

Posts : 869
Join date : 2009-08-06
Location : northeast oklahoma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  johndickjr on May 26th 2014, 11:24 am

powerstrokeace wrote:Dis you degree the cam when you put it together?

Ace
no

johndickjr

Posts : 869
Join date : 2009-08-06
Location : northeast oklahoma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  johndickjr on May 26th 2014, 11:27 am

dfree383 wrote:Ignition, Fuel and Springs are the three things to check first.
he had small tiny stock plug wires on it , junk to me , used too, i talked him into getting some fire wires, carb is still loading up to me, and has issues at times, . we messed with it yesterday ive came to conclusion its carb and ignition related..

johndickjr

Posts : 869
Join date : 2009-08-06
Location : northeast oklahoma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  johndickjr on May 26th 2014, 11:32 am

i was off on the e.t on the best pass.. 11.04@123.26------60f 1.64---1/8 mile 7.08 , no power valve with 91 front 92 back jets, we have not yet stared messing with jets

johndickjr

Posts : 869
Join date : 2009-08-06
Location : northeast oklahoma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  IDT-572 on May 26th 2014, 12:10 pm

Step up 3 in front and two in the rear and drop the timing to 32*
avatar
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 4591
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 57
Location : Shelbyville Tn.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  maverick on May 26th 2014, 12:11 pm

maverick wrote:What rpm in the traps?

?
avatar
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 3051
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 66

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  bigblok2000ranger on May 26th 2014, 12:30 pm

I bet it is multiple problems. The converter seems like a comprimise to me I personally would want 4500-4700 behind that combo but that is not what is limiting the rpm.

Check everything that has been mentioned, actually test the flow of the fuel system it may be as simple as a semi plugged filter. Check grounds. Make sure the pedal is opening the carb all the way.

Lots of possibilities listed in this thread and it could be any of them or multiple.
avatar
bigblok2000ranger

Posts : 1745
Join date : 2010-04-07
Age : 39
Location : Beloit,WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  johndickjr on May 26th 2014, 3:56 pm

bigblok2000ranger wrote:I bet it is multiple problems. The converter seems like a comprimise to me I personally would want 4500-4700 behind that combo but that is not what is limiting the rpm.

Check everything that has been mentioned, actually test the flow of the fuel system it may be as simple as a semi plugged filter. Check grounds. Make sure the pedal is opening the carb all the way.

Lots of possibilities listed in this thread and it could be any of them or multiple.
filter is new, its a log type , but i will check, pedal is open all the way, all grounds look good and checked but will check again

johndickjr

Posts : 869
Join date : 2009-08-06
Location : northeast oklahoma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: car will not e.t

Post  johndickjr on May 26th 2014, 3:56 pm

maverick wrote:
maverick wrote:What rpm in the traps?

?
6000-6200

johndickjr

Posts : 869
Join date : 2009-08-06
Location : northeast oklahoma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum