BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The little 4 that could...does it again--A bit of NHRA Stock Eliminator history was made last weekend

+7
Wes Littrell
dfree383
512Fairlane
BigBlockRanger
bird of prey
D. Sea
83-88T-Bird Guy
11 posters

Go down

The little 4 that could...does it again--A  bit of NHRA Stock Eliminator history was made last weekend Empty The little 4 that could...does it again--A bit of NHRA Stock Eliminator history was made last weekend

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy May 30th 2014, 7:20 am

It might use half as many spark plugs as most racers in Stock Eliminator, but it sure is fun.  Very Happy 

Last Saturday, I got a pleasant surprise.
I went to the Sportsnationals @ Bowling Green, KY hoping I could set the N/SA record with my 85/86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe. The current record was 12.03 @ 109 mph.
With the warm weather that day I was thinking at best it would run a 12.00. (based on testing the week before in much cooler temps)

My friend Marty Buth, ( who I bought the T-Bird from in 2012) showed up with his many-time record holder 83/84 Mustang GT Turbo 2.3. Both cars were originally built by the same guy in California before Marty bought them.
Anyway, he surprises me by showing up with his Mustang to make an attempt at re-setting his current O/SA record.

So we got paired up together for both of our record runs and a bit of NHRA history was made that day.  Very Happy 
First 11 second runs made in NHRA Stock Eliminator with a 4 cylinder powered vehicle.
It was a great day. All 4  of the runs were in the 11's plus we got to make our record runs side by side on the track.  cheers 

( If I had just left 5.8 seconds earlier, I would have been the first driver to break the 11 second barrier with a 4 cylinder Stocker)

A little video I put together with pics and video  my sister made as well as pics I took:

The little 4 that could...does it again--A  bit of NHRA Stock Eliminator history was made last weekend Tbirdwithetshown_zps0527931a
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

The little 4 that could...does it again--A  bit of NHRA Stock Eliminator history was made last weekend Empty Re: The little 4 that could...does it again--A bit of NHRA Stock Eliminator history was made last weekend

Post  D. Sea May 30th 2014, 8:20 am

Very nice! Congrats Alan.

We plan on going to MP tomorrow. You should join us.
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

The little 4 that could...does it again--A  bit of NHRA Stock Eliminator history was made last weekend Empty Re: The little 4 that could...does it again--A bit of NHRA Stock Eliminator history was made last weekend

Post  bird of prey May 30th 2014, 1:23 pm

very cool
bird of prey
bird of prey

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger May 30th 2014, 3:23 pm

That's fantastic. That tbird is cool!
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane May 30th 2014, 11:37 pm

Very cool. Congrats!
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 31st 2014, 1:08 am

Way Cool
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wes Littrell May 31st 2014, 8:39 am

That's awesome!! Congrats
Wes Littrell
Wes Littrell

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R May 31st 2014, 2:59 pm

Quite an accomplishment cheers cheers cheers 

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  PanaVet May 31st 2014, 3:46 pm

Awesome!

It was nice visiting with you on Sat. You were armpit deep in your teardown.

Brian
PanaVet
PanaVet

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon May 31st 2014, 6:30 pm

THATS SWEET  Very Happy 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

The little 4 that could...does it again--A  bit of NHRA Stock Eliminator history was made last weekend Empty Turbo Coupe

Post  STR-LGL-70 June 1st 2014, 8:56 am

That's awesome!
Can you share any info on the engine? I recently picked up an '88 to use as a daily driver. I know the 87-88 IHI turbos are not supposed to be as good as the earlier ones.
Thanks, Sheldon
STR-LGL-70
STR-LGL-70

Back to top Go down

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy June 1st 2014, 5:20 pm

Thanks guys !
I was nervous for 5 months wondering if I could set the record in N/SA and break into the magical 11 sec. zone at the same time.

Sheldon:
Stock Eliminator rules restrict us to these:

* Stock as cast intake and exhaust runners ...no porting allowed( must be the correct casting number head for the year we are claiming. Only a valve job is allowed. Valve diameter limited to .005 inch( I believe) larger than stock.
* Stock un-altered combustion chamber
* Stock compression ratio
* Stock un-altered intake manifiold(s).
* Stock un-altered throttle body.
* Factory issue turbocharger ( Garrett T-3 on mine) Intercoolers not allowed unless factory issue
* .400 max. valve lift ( on my car) other engines have different max. valve lift

* Limited to a 9" x 30" tall slicks max.
* Any rear gear and torque convertor (mine has 4.56 for now)...no trans brakes allowed in Stock
* Rear lower control arms cannot have rod ends on them ( My upper and lower arms are 1986 stock issue as well as the factory quad shocks are still hooked up and using stock '86 springs )
* Driveshaft and radiator must be of the same material as was factory issue for the year we are claiming. ( no aluminum driveshaft or radiator unless factory issued)
* Battery in the stock location
* Aftermarket EFI systems allowed as long as it is on the "NHRA Approved" list
* Racing fuel used must be on the approved list ( I use VP C16)
* Stock appearing interior

There are more rules, but those stick out the most in my mind.
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down