BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

degree'n a cam

3 posters

Go down

degree'n a cam Empty degree'n a cam

Post  Larry Williams June 16th 2014, 1:27 pm

when setting up the installed cl   of a solid roller cam, is it better to lash the valve to specs .018 or zero lash it?
      cam specs call for an install cl @ 110    this seems like a lot compared to my small blocks.  ( 102 )   is this too much for a race only engine?
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

degree'n a cam Empty Re: degree'n a cam

Post  rmcomprandy June 16th 2014, 4:33 pm

Larry Williams wrote:when setting up the installed cl   of a solid roller cam, is it better to lash the valve to specs .018  or zero lash it?
      cam specs call for an install cl @ 110    this seems like a lot compared to my small blocks.  ( 102 )   is this too much for a race only engine?

For that measurement, it is best to get the lash after the lash ramp. Lash ramps can vary from .012" to around. 024" so knowing that last ramp number for that LOBE profile is is best.
Personally, I simply multiply .050" by the rocker arm ratio and lash it there for checking.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans June 16th 2014, 8:55 pm

Is there anyway you can mount the dial indicator directly over the pushrod ( or pushrod side of the rocker arm) and read it from there. In essence what you would be dealing with then, is lobe lift and most cam cards give lobe lift specs.

Uncle Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams June 16th 2014, 9:21 pm

c.evans wrote:Is there anyway you can mount the dial indicator directly over the pushrod ( or pushrod side of the rocker arm) and read it from there.  In essence what you would be dealing with then, is lobe lift and most cam cards give lobe lift specs.

Uncle Charlie

I finally did put it where you suggested. I couldn't get it to the specs recommended ( 110 ) I have a great appreciation for the danny bees like on my other motor now. the multi grooved lower gear are a pain to set up with a chain.

Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum