BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need some FORD ammo, please

+22
FalconEh
dfree383
gmsmkr
69F100
nitrous.f
maverick
514F-1
blown86hallet
bbf-falcon
plowboy34
whitefield
richter69
kim
dr's wife racing
schmitty
Dark Horse of Apocalypse
lghting94
69bluehotrod
KY JELLY
the Coug
rmcomprandy
GT300TD
26 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

need some FORD ammo, please - Page 2 Empty Re: need some FORD ammo, please

Post  GT300TD September 17th 2014, 1:54 pm

plowboy34 wrote:Just get you a T shirt made that say's, FORD built without your tax dollars and on the back GMC....Government Motor Compay..... Shocked

I do remind them of the 'facts' if it gets too heated Twisted Evil

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 17th 2014, 1:56 pm

Terry,if Gary Varney is there,you better hangout w/him,because hangin around w/all those Bowtie kids will make you lose iq points quickly. Besides,if Gary's there,he will send them too the trailer early w/the Tbird. Have a good time,and have fun. Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  blown86hallet September 17th 2014, 1:57 pm

If the Chevy Small-block is so much better than the Ford small-block.

Why did Chevy relocate the dizzy from the rear to the front? Why did they use a 351 W dizzy?
Why did Chevy go to equal bore spacing on the intake runners and exhaust ports?

I know its a Nascar engine, but still!!!
blown86hallet
blown86hallet

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD September 17th 2014, 2:02 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:Terry,if Gary Varney is there,you better hangout w/him,because hangin around w/all those Bowtie kids will make you lose iq points quickly. Besides,if Gary's there,he will send them too the trailer early w/the Tbird. Have a good time,and have fun. Very Happy

Glad you joined in the conversation Rick. I would sure like to meet Gary Varney. Have noticed him, in the background, on 'Cheby Street Outlaws' Evil or Very Mad .

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD September 17th 2014, 2:03 pm

blown86hallet wrote:If the Chevy Small-block is so much better than the Ford small-block.

Why did Chevy relocate the dizzy from the rear to the front?  Why did they use a 351 W dizzy?
Why did Chevy go to equal bore spacing on the intake runners and exhaust ports?

I know its a Nascar engine, but still!!!

Now I have some small block ammo Smile

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  514F-1 September 17th 2014, 6:50 pm

I run into a few chevy guys like this, I just let them talk. However all of my Chevy friends pretty much respect Fords. Oh and BTW I have a 514 crate motor with nothing more than a slightly bigger cam, and i've been 6.25 (1/Cool @ 2850 pounds.. Not fast compared to some, but not bad for 9.8:1 compression Smile
514F-1
514F-1

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick September 17th 2014, 9:39 pm

Grandad told me that I should never argue with an idiot because bystanders won't know which one is the idiot. Rolling Eyes
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 17th 2014, 9:58 pm

maverick wrote:Grandad told me that I should never argue with an idiot because bystanders won't know which one is the idiot. Rolling Eyes

Also, "When engaging in a war of wits, it is best not to show up unarmed".

"Facts, ma'am, just the facts".

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nitrous.f September 17th 2014, 10:50 pm

dr's wife racing wrote:My old fox body went 5.40's on a stock susp. true 10 inch tire. at a tic over 3000 lbs.  It was a stock block 533 ci with a first gen cj head done by Blake.That was in the 175 deg heat at US 43 when the bash was there. Lots of guys on here saw it.

was that on nos? if so how much? Very Happy
nitrous.f
nitrous.f

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick September 17th 2014, 10:57 pm

Don't argue, just ask questions.  Like.......

Ask you bowtie buddies if they know why GM starters required shimming for correct installation.

2 reasons:  1. They bolted the starter to the engine block.
                2. Since they couldn't put a crankshaft in the same place in two blocks in a row, the starter had to be moved around to
                    accomodate their shitty machining process.

Ford, on the other hand, installed the starter in the bellhousing (which was always indexed to the crankshaft anyway) eliminating any potetial misalignment.  Seems like such a simple thing, but to some.......

Oh yeah....Ask them how many of them have pulled the head bolt threads out of the deck on a Chevy block.  If they're honest, there will be a few red faces.Embarassed   You know...that wimpy deck with the head bolts screwed into a water jacket..... Rolling Eyes

Oh and BTW...You may want to skip that Yamaha topic, or you may find yourself trying to defend the early Taurus SHO...just sayin'....
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 September 18th 2014, 1:35 am

My junk yard 460 that was in my ranger at 3265# ran the best of 6.72 at 99.80mph in the 1/8. With stock crank and rods with cheap speed pro flat top with home ported dove-c  heads and one of Randy M. custom cams he designed for it with ford motorsport G429 intake the same as a victor with a 1050 dom. Now it has a 552 with the old ford SVO A429 heads and victor intake with the same 1050 dom off the 460, 2 bolt block factory D9, has ran a 6.19 in the 1/8 and 9.79 in the 1/4 at 3140#. The 460 I turned it 6500 rpm max the 552 turning to 7000 and shifting at 6800.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr September 18th 2014, 7:57 am

My junk yard build was a d1ve block with efi pistons and pi heads comp ots cam went a "best" of 6.24 with 125 shot in a 2000 mustang and SMALL TIRE stock suspension. All factory ford parts bounce
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD September 18th 2014, 8:17 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
maverick wrote:Grandad told me that I should never argue with an idiot because bystanders won't know which one is the idiot. Rolling Eyes

Also, "When engaging in a war of wits, it is best not to show up unarmed".

"Facts, ma'am, just the facts".

You hit the nail on the head, Randy. That's why I what to get the facts straight from the guys that know them Smile . I don't like to argue, but just in case I'm 'fired upon' I want to have enough 'ammo' to defend myself lol! .

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD September 18th 2014, 8:41 am

maverick,
My buddy Bill helped me put my bottom end ONLY together, the crank, rods and pistons (I already had the rings on the pistons). I did the rest later on. He hadn't seen a 385 BBF torn about. He looked at it and all he said was DAYUM. Then I showed him the head bolts and he remarked "no wonder the Fords stay together". I've known Bill since 1970 and he has always respected and even likes Fords. He grew up down the street from Ronny Dolen who used to race 427 Fords and drove a '64 427 dual quad Galaxie. He learned about how Fords could run from Ronny Cool .

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing September 18th 2014, 9:55 am

nitrous.f wrote:
dr's wife racing wrote:My old fox body went 5.40's on a stock susp. true 10 inch tire. at a tic over 3000 lbs.  It was a stock block 533 ci with a first gen cj head done by Blake.That was in the 175 deg heat at US 43 when the bash was there. Lots of guys on here saw it.

was that on nos? if so how much? Very Happy
yes that was on spray. It was a cross hair nos plate set up with two noids. Ie. single stage with a digiset timer. Don't rember exact set up but jets were prob. Low 70's. Total. Like 36's on all sides. Usually ran close to square.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 18th 2014, 11:57 am

GT300TD wrote:
bbf-falcon wrote:Terry,if Gary Varney is there,you better hangout w/him,because hangin around w/all those Bowtie kids will make you lose iq points quickly. Besides,if Gary's there,he will send them too the trailer early w/the Tbird. Have a good time,and have fun. Very Happy

Glad you joined in the conversation Rick. I would sure like to meet Gary Varney. Have noticed him, in the background, on 'Cheby Street Outlaws'  Evil or Very Mad .
wrong guy Terry,Gary is from Columbus area.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 18th 2014, 1:42 pm

Chevys are soooooo cheap because the junkyards are full of them.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kim September 18th 2014, 2:24 pm

What you do is wait until there is a lull in engine noise.  Then dramatically get everyone to shut up..   shhhhhhh etc.   Pause for a moment.   Listen carefully....   Then exclaim.  Yup in the heat, cold, whatever
... of the afternoon or night....  you can still hear a chevy rust.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh September 18th 2014, 3:04 pm

http://www.enginediapers.com/ You will notice from the photo who their target market is !
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD September 18th 2014, 3:55 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:
GT300TD wrote:

Glad you joined in the conversation Rick. I would sure like to meet Gary Varney. Have noticed him, in the background, on 'Cheby Street Outlaws'  Evil or Very Mad .
wrong guy Terry,Gary is from Columbus area.

Describe him and tell me about his T-Bird, maybe I can find him.

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD September 18th 2014, 3:56 pm

FalconEh wrote:http://www.enginediapers.com/    You will notice from the photo who their target market is !

WAAAAAAA lol!

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Horse of Apocalypse September 18th 2014, 6:30 pm

GT300TD wrote:
FalconEh wrote:http://www.enginediapers.com/    You will notice from the photo who their target market is !

WAAAAAAA lol!

2 thumbs up!! Twisted Evil Exclamation Exclamation
Dark Horse of Apocalypse
Dark Horse of Apocalypse

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr September 18th 2014, 7:22 pm

A dipper and a bowtie now that is Arrow lol! there must be a lot of truth to the old saying!!
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh September 18th 2014, 10:10 pm

Ok 1-more...( Chev Guy(s)-CG)

CG blah blah blah Fords suck... I reply: Yeah well Chev has some really cool inventions like the HEI distributor which unlike the Ford duraspark allows you to SAFETLY grab the coil wire while touching the fender and not get shocked...really cool technology!

I accept no responsibility for this comment as it is meant as a joke, not for Natural Selection...although most of these guys might qualify for the natural selection 3-or more 1-will try Twisted Evil
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane September 20th 2014, 5:58 pm

GT300TD wrote:Going to the dragstrip, points meet at National Trail Raceway in Columbus, Ohio Saturday. Going with my long time friend Bill who is a chevy guy but respects Fords. I'll be the ONLY FORD guy in 'chevy city....the conversation will eventually come to Fords.  Anything any one of you guys wish to share would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Smile
Sorry I didn't see this sooner.....

• The 460 is a newer design and is newer technology than the 454
  • The OEM base model 460 is created with parts that generally have the ability to support more power than the base model 454
  • The 460 has a bigger standard bore and unshrouds the valves far better than the 454
  • The 460 can be stroked to 557 cubes easily (and even more is possible) and without having to clearance the crankcase
  • The 460 drives the oil pump and distributor from the front of the camshaft where the timing chain is, not the 454 which loads/twists the cam in radical valve trains because the pump/distibutor drive is at the opposite end of the cam from the timing chain
  • The 460 has a gerotor oil pump while the 454 has a cavitation-prone spur gear pump
  • The 460 has a taller deck than the 454
  • The 460 can get big compression ratios with inexpensive flat top pistons while the 454 needs a heavy dome-top piston to get the same compression ratio
  • The 460 blocks are made of material that is so hard that after boring just two cylinders we need to lap our bits...while with the same bits the 454 block can be bored non-stop and the block material turns to dust as we bore it
  • The 460 head bolts anchor into blind threads in the block while the 454 head bolts screw into the water jacket and so the both the bolt threads and block threads strip routinely
  • The 460 head bolts are 9/16-inch and hold 140 foot-pounds of clamping force while the 454 has wimpy 7/16-bolts and manage 65-75 foot pounds only
  • The 460 has preferred 0.875" diameter lifters while the 454 has lesser 0.842" diameter lifters
  • The 460 has a superior 1.72 rod ratio while the 454 has an average 1.53 rod ratio
  • The 460's electronic ignition's magnetic pickup coil and reluctor are so good that MSD uses them in their distributors, even BBC guys run them over the chevy's factory HEI
  • The 460 has a better cam-to-crank centerline that does not cause clearance problems like the early BBC
  • The 460 has a thicker cylinder deck (0.400" nominal) that stays true compared to the BBC deck that gets easily pulled out of shape when even the weak 7/16 BBC head bolts are tightened
  • The 460 has symmetrical intake ports while the BBC has siamesed intake ports
    (etc, etc, etc.)

...then there's the BBC guys bizarre claim of parts interchangeability, which is less true than the BBF...

• The Gen 5&6 blocks have the oil passageway alongside the cam and into the lifter valley instead of down the oil pan rail as on the Mark IV.  The oil pans do not interchange between these blocks and in fact, the Gen 5&6 use a one piece rear main seal and different oil pan then the Mark IV.
  • Timing covers were changed between all three block configurations.
  • The Gen 6 uses a cam thrust plate, not the Mark IV.  But the Gen 5 and Mark IV also have provisions to use this plate if a Gen 6 cam was to be used.
  • The oil filter boss on the Mark IV uses a bolt-in adapter with an oil pressure relief inside, while the Gen 5&6 filters mate straight to the block with a screw-in adapter and push-in oil pressure relief valves in the block itself.
  • Both Gen 5&6 do not have a fuel pump boss, while the Mark IV does.
  • The Gen 6 lifter bores are longer/higher with a machined flat surface to accept the roller lifters and their retianers; Gen 5 and Mark IV blocks cannot use the Gen 6 roller lifter and would need aftermarket.
  • Coolant flow on both the Gen 5 and 6 were redesigned to increase flow...coolant passages were also made larger on the Gen 5 and Gen 6, therefore making it more difficult to use Mark 4 heads on these newer blocks (lately this is more feasible).
  • The 10.200 "Tall Decks" (if you can call them that, as their deck height is still shorter than the Ford) are a different animal altogether.
  • Etcetera

With the Ford 460, most all the parts interchange between the carbureted engines except that the 1978 & earlier crankshaft will not fit the 1979 & later blocks (actually they can fit with just 20 minutes of grinding).

Once last thing: if they compare the SBC 350 to the SBF 302, stop them dead in their tracks. The fair comparison is the SBC 350 to the Ford 351W.  The SBC is an engineering joke from 1955-1995--forty years. Then, in 1996 they fixed everything that was wrong with it but produced that engine for only four years.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum