BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Header dilemma....... Mine don't fit !!

+6
maverick
IDT-572
bbf-falcon
rmcomprandy
billandlori
jbozzelle
10 posters

Go down

Header dilemma....... Mine don't fit !! Empty Header dilemma....... Mine don't fit !!

Post  jbozzelle November 15th 2009, 12:46 am

Guys,

Do any of you know if the Hooker, D&D, Kooks, etc... all route the tubes the same way?

I have a set of headers that are supposed to be for a BBF in a Fox chassis, but they don't want to cooperate. I can't find any markings on them other than a part number of 7113 and what appears to be a date code of 9 01 .....

These things just don't seem like they will work at all. I looked a friends Mustang this evening. He's got a BBF in it with the Hooker headers AND engine mounts and what looks to be the same k-member. Comparing the headers I have to his the forward tubes on mine do not sweep back far enough to clear the engine mounts and all of my driver's side tubes are tucked tight together almost as if they are designed to go between the steering shaft and block. Two of the Hooker's tubes go outside of the steering shaft...

It appears I got hosed on a set of headers.... Got any clues?????????

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Header dilemma....... Mine don't fit !! Empty Re: Header dilemma....... Mine don't fit !!

Post  billandlori November 15th 2009, 12:52 am

The Hooker headers are PN# 6224. Two tubes on each side are slip fit.

I had big time fit issues with mine.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Header dilemma....... Mine don't fit !! Empty Re: Header dilemma....... Mine don't fit !!

Post  rmcomprandy November 15th 2009, 1:15 am

It seems the headers you have are made to be used with a front motor-plate. There are no side mounts at all with a front motor-plate.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 15th 2009, 7:57 am

It's called refabricate. Sad

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 November 15th 2009, 12:13 pm

I have had three different sets on my car over the years. The front motor plate saved the day on every set. I had to move the engine everytime I changed headers, just moved the plate mount.

Not a bad deal , just something that had to be done. Wink
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick November 15th 2009, 12:54 pm

If I were to buy a set of headers for a non-factory swap type deal, I'd buy them without any plating or ceramic coating. That way they can be cut and modified for a CORRECT fit if necessary, then ceramic coated later. These days, though, I'd rather just custom build a set.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 November 15th 2009, 12:55 pm

I have had three different sets on my car over the years. The front motor plate saved the day on every set. I had to move the engine everytime I changed headers, just moved the plate mount.

IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 November 15th 2009, 12:56 pm

Shocked Have no idea how that double post happened............ Embarassed
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick November 15th 2009, 2:24 pm

Parkinson's?
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf November 15th 2009, 6:18 pm

IDT-572 wrote:I have had three different sets on my car over the years. The front motor plate saved the day on every set. I had to move the engine everytime I changed headers, just moved the plate mount.

I could see that. Being that there are several different plates out there plus they are custom mounted anyways it would be pretty a pretty slim chance that the motor would be in the same place every time.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle November 19th 2009, 10:13 pm

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been getting reply notifications.

I was hoping someone recognized the part number. I'm planning to get after it this weekend. Gonna prop up the engine plate with jackstands and remove the mounts. Just hoping I don't sawzall off the k-member mounts just to find out it still doesn't fit. That'll piss me off!!

What's strange is all of the driver's tubes are bent to go between the engine and steering shaft. The tubes are mandrel bent as well. Not cut sections welded together. That's why I'm thinking these are not for this engine/chassis combo...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea November 20th 2009, 1:25 pm

John,

You'll find that if/when you cut off the engine mounts to the K-member, you will open up a TON more room!

Use the engine plates, cut the engine mount pads on the K-member and modify the headers to fit or make a new set. Got any pictures you can post?

Good luck
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 20th 2009, 2:40 pm

IDT-572 wrote:Shocked Have no idea how that double post happened............ Embarassed
For those of you that have never met Blake, He also STUTTERS Laughing

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  tiger November 20th 2009, 3:07 pm

This is the exact reason I put a post on this site a week ago about asking if a set of headers for a 1990's f250 with a 460 working on a fox swap. You can buy the truck headers for $200 and a set of fox swap headers are $500 and some need modified. Why not modify the cheap headers.

tiger

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 November 20th 2009, 6:41 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:Shocked Have no idea how that double post happened............ Embarassed
For those of you that have never met Blake, He also STUTTERS Laughing

Rick your so stu stu stu stupid................ Laughing Laughing Leave me alone. Razz
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle November 21st 2009, 9:44 pm

Driver's side fits.

Pics later...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs November 21st 2009, 10:30 pm

jbozzelle wrote:Driver's side fits.

Pics later...

You're half way there... Laughing Nothing to this stuff Exclamation Wink
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle November 22nd 2009, 2:58 am

Header tubes pass directly where the k-member mounts are. Once I chopped them off they fit fine.

Pics will be in my thread in the Proven Builds section. I'll throw them up shortly. Just got in from the garage....

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick November 22nd 2009, 9:01 am

tiger wrote:This is the exact reason I put a post on this site a week ago about asking if a set of headers for a 1990's f250 with a 460 working on a fox swap. You can buy the truck headers for $200 and a set of fox swap headers are $500 and some need modified. Why not modify the cheap headers.

If you're gonna apply logic, you ain't gonna fit in around here. Laughing jk.

Jbozelle, glad it worked out well for you.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle November 22nd 2009, 12:23 pm

tiger wrote:This is the exact reason I put a post on this site a week ago about asking if a set of headers for a 1990's f250 with a 460 working on a fox swap. You can buy the truck headers for $200 and a set of fox swap headers are $500 and some need modified. Why not modify the cheap headers.

Tiger, I haven't had to cut these headers at all. Just had to remove the mounts and perches from the k-member. Thes eheaders are obviously made to work with plates, front and rear. One tube is modified from the previous owner because he used these in a tube car I believe...

Guys, I've got new pics up in the PROVEN BUILDS section.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down