BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What stock master cylinder for a 69 Mustang???

4 posters

Go down

What stock master cylinder for a 69 Mustang??? Empty What stock master cylinder for a 69 Mustang???

Post  YellowStangDuane December 29th 2014, 7:09 pm

I've had this car for about 30 years, and for the first 20 of it, my front brakes always had a drag to them (it is a disc brake car, has 70 Mustang spindles/brakes) Then after I replaced the master cylinder it stopped dragging, and worked good. Now my M/C is leaking and needs replacing. When I replaced it before, I think I used a 72 Torino one, since it has the same 1" piston, and is for front disc/manual brakes. I'm digging around, and noticed Mavericks used a front disc/manual one too, 15/16" piston..... The lines for the Torino are on the wrong side, but I made new ones, the Maverick is correct. Which one would be better? how much difference will the piston size make?
YellowStangDuane
YellowStangDuane

Back to top Go down

What stock master cylinder for a 69 Mustang??? Empty Re: What stock master cylinder for a 69 Mustang???

Post  bosshoss December 29th 2014, 11:47 pm

My calculator says that the 15/16 has roughly 12% less area than the full 1".

Theoretically speaking that should translate in to a little more pedal travel but ultimately a little higher pressure to the wheels given the same amount of force applied to the pedal.

If you can afford the pedal travel I would go with the smaller diameter.

dkp

Last edited by bosshoss on January 2nd 2015, 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

What stock master cylinder for a 69 Mustang??? Empty Re: What stock master cylinder for a 69 Mustang???

Post  YellowStangDuane December 30th 2014, 10:25 am

That will work! It has a pretty solid pedal, so a little more travel won't hurt, thanks!
YellowStangDuane
YellowStangDuane

Back to top Go down

Post  fordguy69 December 31st 2014, 7:06 pm

There is a thread about this over on 69stang.com, if I remember correctly you get one from a 74 maverick with manual discs.

fordguy69

Back to top Go down

Post  YellowStangDuane December 31st 2014, 8:30 pm

Funny, since I have a new one waiting to go on my Maverick.
YellowStangDuane
YellowStangDuane

Back to top Go down

Post  glenevans January 1st 2015, 10:35 pm

I used the '74 maverick non-power, front disc rear drum when I converted my '69 mustang to manual brakes. Willwood has a nice one out now.

glenevans

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss January 2nd 2015, 12:50 pm

Oops

Corrected my original reply above... the area of a 15/16 piston is actually 12% smaller than a 1" not 6 like I originally stated.

dkp

bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum