BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alternator and Crank pulleys for a Drag application.

+6
Doug Rahn
dirt_worker
FalconEh
nuclearcobra
kim
BigRigTech
10 posters

Go down

Alternator and Crank pulleys for a Drag application. Empty Alternator and Crank pulleys for a Drag application.

Post  BigRigTech February 3rd 2015, 2:51 pm

I want to put a small alternator on my car this spring. Has anyone here found a specific pulley combo that can be bought for this application? I think I should have an oversize alternator pulley and a smaller crank pulley to slow it down a little. I'm turning about 6500 at the stripe. My water pump is electric. I've seen some aluminum stuff on line but I was hoping some of you guys might know a proven combo/manufacturer that has worked for you. Very Happy
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Alternator and Crank pulleys for a Drag application. Empty Re: Alternator and Crank pulleys for a Drag application.

Post  kim February 3rd 2015, 7:42 pm

Had to make my own.   9200 at line..  even "race" stuff wasnt slow enough.

kim

Back to top Go down

Alternator and Crank pulleys for a Drag application. Empty Re: Alternator and Crank pulleys for a Drag application.

Post  nuclearcobra February 3rd 2015, 8:22 pm

6500 isn't going to hurt anything and Dennis at dscmotorsport.com  makes a nice billet crank pulley for 50 bucks and you can make the brackets for about 11 bucks from the hardware store, I've yet to throw a belt even at 7k and I've put this setup on three cars now using the regular gm one wire alternatorAlternator and Crank pulleys for a Drag application. IMG_1453Alternator and Crank pulleys for a Drag application. IMG_2099Alternator and Crank pulleys for a Drag application. IMG_1868
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kim February 3rd 2015, 9:31 pm

May not toss a belt.  Alternator doesn't really need 14k rpm.  Honestly anything above about 4800 rpm and the alternator is maxed oit.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh February 3rd 2015, 11:54 pm

Looks like a good solid setup to me... if the alternator doesn't need the rpm it should not matter, if it is wired and regulated correctly. If the alternator can't handle the given rpm, then you need to regulate the alternator, or reduce the rpm to the alternator... different pulley sizes are available for the crank and the alternator find what fits your application.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  dirt_worker February 4th 2015, 1:20 am

I followed their recommendations and my stuff has been wrkn great.

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/power_pulleys.html

I went w a 2:1 ratio (alt is overdriven) on mine since it does see some street miles.

dirt_worker
dirt_worker

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn February 4th 2015, 7:26 am

Powermaster offers 3 different size pulleys that may work for you, 2.8", 4", and 5-1/4".

That's the 2.8" on my alternator. My crank pulley is a custom deal I had made for mine. At the time when my engine was built Peterson didn't offer Spline Drive V belt pulleys (they do now, 2.5" & 3.5" dia.) so I had one made that fits between the crank trigger wheel and the spline drive mandrel. With Powermaster alternators  they do have a cut in point, so when you slow them down you have to remember to blip the throttle so it starts charging.

Alternator and Crank pulleys for a Drag application. Eng27_zpsa101abcb
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug February 4th 2015, 10:32 am

nuclearcobra wrote:6500 isn't going to hurt anything and Dennis at dscmotorsport.com  makes a nice billet crank pulley for 50 bucks and you can make the brackets for about 11 bucks from the hardware store, I've yet to throw a belt even at 7k and I've put this setup on three cars now using the regular gm one wire alternatorAlternator and Crank pulleys for a Drag application. IMG_1453Alternator and Crank pulleys for a Drag application. IMG_2099Alternator and Crank pulleys for a Drag application. IMG_1868

News Flash DSC doesn't make anything He resells that is a March Pulley I have one
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech February 4th 2015, 2:33 pm

I have a front plate on mine so it will be a custom mount anyways...Likely go with a small jap buggy alternator or a Powermaster one wire deal.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf February 4th 2015, 3:49 pm

On the one wire alternators you can always run an ignition wire and it will charge like normal instead of having to get over 1500 rpm or where ever it turns on at. I ended up doing this on a couple of my cars. Once charging they are supposed to stay charging but I have not had a lot of luck with the Powermaster units working properly over time. They have warranty on them but if you have to start shipping them across the country because they don't work then warranty doesn't really mean crap because the shipping costs will kill you. I would rather just have a unit that works properly. I have junked two of them now and the one in my 56 just charges whenever it feels like it so it will get replaced soon.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra February 4th 2015, 6:33 pm

the Coug wrote:
nuclearcobra wrote:6500 isn't going to hurt anything and Dennis at dscmotorsport.com  makes a nice billet crank pulley for 50 bucks and you can make the brackets for about 11 bucks from the hardware store, I've yet to throw a belt even at 7k and I've put this setup on three cars now using the regular gm one wire alternatorAlternator and Crank pulleys for a Drag application. IMG_1453Alternator and Crank pulleys for a Drag application. IMG_2099Alternator and Crank pulleys for a Drag application. IMG_1868

News Flash DSC doesn't make anything He resells  that is a March Pulley I have one
No way man he just makes them for March Laughing
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug February 4th 2015, 7:53 pm

You really need to change drugs you are hallucinating
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 5th 2015, 12:50 am

the Coug wrote:You really need to change drugs you are hallucinating

Pass the pipe buddy......
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra February 6th 2015, 5:36 pm

the Coug wrote:You really need to change drugs you are hallucinating
Well maybe some people like hallucinating , Do you really think the Indians only stuffed tobacco in those big peace pipes Shocked
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD February 6th 2015, 8:58 pm

Yea...I don't think tobacco was the reason they called them "Peace Pipes" drunken cheers

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dirt_worker February 6th 2015, 9:15 pm

I used a Db electrical 105A on mine w a 5"BBC crank pulley from East Coast auto electric.(Had to open up the center bore to register over the raised snout on the FRPP balancer.)
Alternator and Crank pulleys for a Drag application. 20140927_133521_zpsrgvbarwc
dirt_worker
dirt_worker

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech February 7th 2015, 2:41 pm

That looks simple enough. Outside of the snout modification did the BBC bolt pattern line up with the BBF balancer?
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  dirt_worker February 7th 2015, 2:51 pm

Yes...but only because the ford racing balancer comes w both bolt patterns Smile (3 bolt chevy and 4 bolt ford)
dirt_worker
dirt_worker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down