BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

all you leaf spring guys........ help

5 posters

Go down

all you leaf spring guys........ help Empty all you leaf spring guys........ help

Post  gmsmkr February 9th 2015, 8:08 pm

Ok I have made the decision to build my old truck I sold my mustang chassis sat night so here is where I'm at.

My truck is a 77 f100 with small block for now I am going to put my 472 scj headed motor in it with a crown vic swap front end and a built 8.8 I would like to stay with leaf spring if possible and I need help can't lie I know nothing about it and want the power of the board to help me.... thanks
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

all you leaf spring guys........ help Empty Re: all you leaf spring guys........ help

Post  whitefield February 9th 2015, 8:16 pm

gmsmkr wrote:Ok I have made the decision to build my old truck I sold my mustang chassis sat night so here is where I'm at.

My truck is a 77 f100 with small block for now I am going to put my 472 scj headed motor in it with a crown vic swap front end and a built 8.8 I would like to stay with leaf spring if possible and I need help can't lie I know nothing about it and want the power of the board to help me.... thanks

Look at some caltrac s or long bars.
We run the long bars on my sons lightning and they work pretty good.
There maybe something better out there that some of the other members may know about.
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

all you leaf spring guys........ help Empty Re: all you leaf spring guys........ help

Post  dirt_worker February 9th 2015, 8:52 pm

What are you plans for the truck?
Ive got ALOT of time trying to make the caltracs work w. my setup. I can say this...if you decide you go w. them you'll need a pair of my lazercut dropped from brackets to lower the front of the bar. Ride height plays a HUGE factor in the caltrac geometry.....ive got video of my rear tires 6" off the ground from just "bolting them on" and goin racing. They just hit WAYYYY too hard unless the bar is nearly flat....
dirt_worker
dirt_worker

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh February 9th 2015, 9:58 pm

A little read for the leafsprings.
http://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories/brakes-suspension/killer-kong-project-update-ironing-out-leaf-spring-woes/
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr February 9th 2015, 11:21 pm

dirt_worker wrote:What are you plans for the truck?
Ive got ALOT of time trying to make the caltracs work w. my setup. I can say this...if you decide you go w. them you'll need a pair of my lazercut dropped from brackets to lower the front of the bar. Ride height plays a HUGE factor in the caltrac geometry.....ive got video of my rear tires 6" off the ground from just "bolting them on" and goin racing. They just hit WAYYYY too hard unless the bar is nearly flat....

Street and strip with a lot of strip time and nitrous with a SMALL tire.. Razz

FalconEh wrote:A little read for the leafsprings.
http://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories/brakes-suspension/killer-kong-project-update-ironing-out-leaf-spring-woes/

Good read... study
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  dirt_worker February 9th 2015, 11:33 pm

My truck went 11.4s w. cheapo slapper bars....if you do caltracs and have decent power, you'll need to get the bar near flat to make it work.
dirt_worker
dirt_worker

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr February 9th 2015, 11:38 pm

Thanks dirt worker for the help I will start looking for a set while I'm gathering parts...
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh February 10th 2015, 12:02 am

The balance is not easy to find with a leaf spring setup, new replacement leafs, or an extra spring go a long way, replace all of the factory bushings with higher quality (neoprene etc.) they are not easy to get out... redi-rod is your friend for bushing removal, and yes the bar level is important, with a slapper the free-space is key too little the rear will launch on the bumps, too much they are useless. When you get it right it will ride and handle like a street car and hook at the track, vs a ladder bar setup how many ladder bar racers haven`t broken a locator mount on a hard corner, never mind on the street.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  droppedf100 February 22nd 2015, 6:06 pm

I didn't have as much problems as some with my leaf spring set up. If you put the rear on top of the leafs it helps quite a bit. I'm running caltracs, stock leaf springs and Calvert/Rancho rear shocks and my truck works on the track as well as the street.
droppedf100
droppedf100

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr February 23rd 2015, 6:02 pm

droppedf100 wrote:I didn't have as much problems as some with my leaf spring set up. If you put the rear on top of the leafs it helps quite a bit. I'm running caltracs, stock leaf springs and Calvert/Rancho rear shocks and my truck works on the track as well as the street.

Thanks for the input my old truck has a dana44 under it I have a 8.8 to go in its place and will be putting it on top of the leaf springs
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down