BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diesel Tech wiring Help

+7
the Coug
BigRigTech
jbozzelle
whitefield
FalconEh
Larry T
res0rli9
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Diesel Tech wiring Help - Page 2 Empty Re: Diesel Tech wiring Help

Post  res0rli9 February 19th 2015, 1:11 pm

85bigblockfox wrote:I just bought a truck to replace my gas pig 460 to pull my enclosed. I kept it simple and bought a 1995 12v cummins. No pcm, no glow plugs, and gauging from my buddies 94 that has 360k on it no problems.

Yes I use to run a 955 cat when I was younger only thing had to run was battery to start it and the only gauge was hour.
Think go get one of them and put it in the bed and drive on.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 February 19th 2015, 1:18 pm

res0rli9 wrote:I think I unplugged the f/b heater when I got the truck and changed all the filters but check again to make sure.
Is there anyway a diesel tech at the dealer can check the pcm if take it out take it them???
The dealer down the road from me lets a diesel tech work other people's stuff after hours but he won't come to your house.

The Ford Dealer here has to have it in the truck but they are a place down around your area that rebuilds them I look and see if I still have there address and number.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 February 19th 2015, 1:36 pm

I bought my ECM from O'Reilly Auto Parts they was the cheapest I found I bought my IDM from Auto Computer Exchange in Davie FL #888-672-4817 they also sale the ECM
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 19th 2015, 3:24 pm

85bigblockfox wrote:I just bought a truck to replace my gas pig 460 to pull my enclosed. I kept it simple and bought a 1995 12v cummins. No pcm, no glow plugs, and gauging from my buddies 94 that has 360k on it no problems.

I had a 93..... Great engine..... Only problem is everything else around it is junk.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech February 19th 2015, 3:50 pm

dfree383 wrote:

I had a 93..... Great engine..... Only problem is everything else around it is junk.

Yup...LOL....Have you tested the power and grounds at the PCM plug? It's too bad you weren't here, I'd have that sorted out in no time. I doubt the PCM is bad as your cluster is dead too. You need to check the main power feeds to the column and see what keyed power is leaving the column to activate the relays for the PCM, fuel pump and cluster.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  85bigblockfox February 19th 2015, 4:16 pm

dfree383 wrote:

I hear the truck will fall apart around the engine. But if it comes to that point and I still have my crew cab f350 it will get swapped
85bigblockfox
85bigblockfox

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 19th 2015, 4:29 pm

85bigblockfox wrote:
dfree383 wrote:

I hear the truck will fall apart around the engine. But if it comes to that point and I still have my crew cab f350 it will get swapped

I'd just go find a good cummins and do the swap into a ford chassis..... You should be able to pick up a 6.4 or 6.0 all jacked up for a reasonable amount.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  85bigblockfox February 19th 2015, 4:33 pm

dfree383 wrote:
85bigblockfox wrote:
dfree383 wrote:

I'd just go find a good cummins and do the swap into a ford chassis..... You should be able to pick up a 6.4 or 6.0 all jacked up for a reasonable amount.

My dodge is actually in nice shape. Interior is perfect with the dash cap. I may try find another cummins engine and 5 speed and swap it.
85bigblockfox
85bigblockfox

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 February 20th 2015, 12:28 am

BigRigTech wrote:
dfree383 wrote:

Yup...LOL....Have you tested the power and grounds at the PCM plug? It's too bad you weren't here, I'd have that sorted out in no time. I doubt the PCM is bad as your cluster is dead too. You need to check the main power feeds to the column and see what keyed power is leaving the column to activate the relays for the PCM, fuel pump and cluster.

I will be doing this next when I get back on it. Fuel pump still works & injectors buzz.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 20th 2015, 10:55 am

Have you pulled all fuses and checked them with a meter?  Also, I'd unplug the fuel bowl heater and check the wire harness on the driver side of the valve cover.  It's square and has been known to have the bottom wires rub through if they sit on the valve cover.  If you have some sort of short under the valve cover causing problems you can unplug the harness on the top side of the cover to take that out of the equation.  

Have you pulled the PCM plug and checked it?  It's a 10MM bolt holding it on there.  Does the truck have a chip in it?  if so, pull it out.  Did you check the big black plug on the steering column wiring harness?  Mine was loose when I first bought my truck.  Previous owner had a turbo timer plugged in there and didn't tighten the plug back together very well.

All cables good from the battery?  Have you checked the large +12VDC power feed that feeds each fuse box (in cab and under hood)? Grounds to same fuse boxes?

I know it's a pain but you bought a nice truck.  I put 365K on my F250 and my dad put almost 500K on his Excursion before we got rid of them.  We sold them since the rest of the vehicles were falling apart around it.  The engines were fine.

Even with all of the sensors that truck has it's an easy truck to work on and troubleshoot.  I learned a ton of info from www.fordtrucks.com.  Real helpful guys over there.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 February 20th 2015, 2:53 pm

Yea I know I got a good truck it runs really good when runs only has 160k on it. just working with shorts makes me
want to burn it to the ground in about 10 mins. yes checked fuses that way checked& cleaned every ground& plug& pcm also no broken wires
everything under valve cover is new checked that heat plug&wires. when I get back on it going to check the load on wires from switch to pcm relay
then to pcm.. I'll get it................ Sometime............ I do know its some where between the front bumper & the trailer hitch. geek

Thank everyone for your help.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry T February 21st 2015, 9:46 pm

i have a good early 99 pcm if you want to borrow it to test with just pm me your address.
Larry T
Larry T

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 February 22nd 2015, 6:43 am

Larry T wrote:i have a good early 99 pcm if you want to borrow it to test with just pm me your address.

Larry. Thank you very much for this offer but I will have to pass.

With my luck some one could lone me a 4340 steel hammer and I could lightly tap a rubber ball
and the hammer would brake in a million piece's.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 March 11th 2015, 11:20 pm

OK its fixed!.. What I found, after I dropped the fuse box down to check the wires I found that there's a bunch of those squeeze on wire connecters that some one put something maybe an after market stereo don't know, theres like 10-15 of them & half of them just have about 3-4" of wire coming off them & are cut off with on tape on the ends just hanging so was take them off and fixing the wires they where connected to and found that one wire was cut into, redid that wire and everything worked & it started, so redid all the wires that had those connecters on. also found on the left side above the pcm the the harness had 8 wires about 4" just hanging out & cut off with no tape just bear, fixed them right, have no idea what they where for but don't care it runs, still have a few to redo from the rt. side of colum between the radio just some more of them squeeze on connecters. Don't know what some body had on this but the wiring harness is a mess or at least the way they made the connections.

Thanks for everyone's Help.

PS: who ever made those squeeze on connecters needs to have he's ASS Kicked & also who ever use's them.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 12th 2015, 5:42 pm

Man thats some tough stuff to diag over the internet lol.... Glad u found it.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh March 12th 2015, 7:58 pm

Well done! Glad you got it solved, with the amount of wiring in this stuff, it is a frustrating chore to solve at the least. Snap connectors, work good in an emergency/safety kit, but not for permanent installations.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum