BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road trip ...straight outa the 60's

3 posters

Go down

Road trip ...straight outa the 60's Empty Road trip ...straight outa the 60's

Post  David Cole April 11th 2015, 5:10 pm

It's really amazing how reliable most newer cars have become.  Even cheap econo-boxes.  Just jump in it and go with no prep or thought.

Old cars, not so much.   Guess it was that way back in the day too.  No overdrive, carbs, points, etc.

Decided to take a road trip with a friend today.  We were going to meet up with some friends and go to Chattanooga for the Coker Tire Spring cruise in.   I'm not normally a car show guy, but this event is huge and there would be some cool rides.   No heads up racing close today, so said what the heck.   Spent the last couple of days getting my 67 Fairlane GTA ready.  Shined up, fluids and air ok, even a total rebuild on the 3X2 carbs on the 390.  Loaded a toolbox, carb gaskets, fluids, even a spare water pump.  Prepping it for the longest single day trip the car has made in the 5 years I've owned it.   About 360 miles round trip.  Previous long trip was 220 last August in 90°+ temps

Left home about 4:15 this morning.  Went about 50 miles.  (was about 3 miles from David Willingham's).  Cruising along, two lane highway, running about 55, 2500 rpm , 170° engine, 50 psi oil pressure.  Still dark about 5am.  Transmission slipped slightly a couple of times and then within a mile it quit pulling altogether.  Coasted into the lot of a shut down gas station.  Nothing in any gear.  Forward or reverse.  Checked the fluid.  A tad low, but not bad.  Added a little fluid (fun making a funnel from a drink bottle) Think it may have boiled a little out.  No major leaks under the car.  Fluid was VERY hot, but no burned smell at all.  Had a few bubbles but not really foamed up.   Made a call and got someone to come get us.    Got home at 8am.  Hooked up the F350 and the race car trailer.  Went back, car had cooled but still no gears.   Winched it up in the trailer and came home.  Unloaded and pushed it backwards into the garage.  Cooled off, checked the fluid and not running it shows a little overfull.  No burned smell at all for the Type F fluid in the C6.

So, what happened?  Thinking converter or trans pump.  Converter is a TCI 12" Sat Night Special.  1800-2000 stall per their info behind my mildly modded 390.  Trans was rebuilt about 3K miles ago.  Took it out and took it to a builder for a bench build since it needed a couple hardparts that I didn't have.  He also put a Transgo shift kit.   Put the new converter in at this time.  On install, I noticed the converter to flexplate clearance was not as much as needed.  with it fully seated it was right up against the flexplate, but would still turn easily.  Wasn't in a bind even with the trans bolted up.   But, no gap.  I knew better, but put in in anyway rather than return the converter as I was in a hurry.   Doh!   Figured since it wasn't binding that I would be ok.  Guess not, just took it 3K miles.  

I'm figuring I toasted the pump.  Thoughts?   Total rebuild time?  I figure the converter is not worth sending back for a rebuild/cleanout.  By the time I pay for the rebuild and shipping both ways I'm close to cost of a new one (~$275)
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Road trip ...straight outa the 60's Empty Re: Road trip ...straight outa the 60's

Post  richter69 April 11th 2015, 8:24 pm

Well nowadays its your 60k + truck with your racecar/travel tesiler in tow..... That pesky check engine ligh comes on and now your stuck on the side of the road callling a wrecker and a buddy with another teuck to come get your trailer.... Then you have to have it towed to a dealer be ause the days of the average wrench turner fixing it on the side of the road are gone......
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Road trip ...straight outa the 60's Empty Re: Road trip ...straight outa the 60's

Post  cool40 April 11th 2015, 9:37 pm

I have ran many converters with little to no room and never had issues but may next time i do it. Your luck sounds kinda like mine Mad but mine would have quit on the way home in the dark,with no good place to pull off the road and no phone service! Laughing
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum