BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How often to change ATF on a street car?

+2
canzus
psquare75
6 posters

Go down

How often to change ATF on a street car? Empty How often to change ATF on a street car?

Post  psquare75 November 24th 2009, 11:07 am

100% stock cars were rated in the book for what, 100K miles? What about the typical C6 with extra clutches and a shift kit? I've heard WIDE ranges of times from yearly, even if the car is parked, to 10K miles, 50K miles.. What is a good timeframe?
psquare75
psquare75

http://www.reklessracing.net

Back to top Go down

How often to change ATF on a street car? Empty Re: How often to change ATF on a street car?

Post  canzus November 24th 2009, 12:43 pm

I do the SWMBOs 3 every 15K, mainly because two of them are weekend toys, and sit a lot.
Her daily gets a lot of use, and $3500 for a rebuild on it is more than I want to spend...
canzus
canzus

Back to top Go down

How often to change ATF on a street car? Empty Re: How often to change ATF on a street car?

Post  airford1 November 26th 2009, 11:25 am

The 100k miles is based on the fluid never getting hot and the the filter being able to do its job. When the fluid is cooled in the motors radiator and the motor over heats, it also over heats the trans fluid. Keep these things in mind as to when to change the fluid.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 28th 2009, 1:14 am

We have a Tranny builder here in Ohio that WILL, prove to you that IF, your tranny fluid is not burned ,your tranny's life WILL be longer IF you DON'T change it. New fluid in old seals SHE says ,is a nono.(Excessive expansion). I have 189k on my 95 GT and have never even changed the filter. But, its never been abused either. Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 28th 2009, 11:21 am

With conventional atf, every 3 years or 30,000 miles, syn can go longer.

As far as leaving it in forever unless there is an issue, I dont buy that.....been building them too long and I can tell you more harm comes from not changing it rather than regular service.

My favorite is the one where a tranny has many miles on it and never beeen serviced, then right after they do the tranny takes a dump...............more like underlying issues.

I'll keep fresh fluid in all my trannys, ya'll can do what you want lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

How often to change ATF on a street car? Empty Tranny fluid changes

Post  blown473 November 28th 2009, 8:48 pm

Ford motor co sends out service reminders to maintain your warranty , service at 30k miles-fluid and filter. At the cost of a trans its cheap insurance to change it.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  canzus November 29th 2009, 1:46 am

bbf-falcon wrote:We have a Tranny builder here in Ohio that WILL, prove to you that IF, your tranny fluid is not burned ,your tranny's life WILL be longer IF you DON'T change it. New fluid in old seals SHE says ,is a nono.(Excessive expansion). I have 189k on my 95 GT and have never even changed the filter. But, its never been abused either. Smile

Okay, as soon as you get to 300K miles on the original transmission, you let me know... I'm just about there on my '86 F150,
which I bought new from Kirkland Ford in '86, and it has an AOD in it... And my wifes '72 Capri, that has a BW35 in it, has just over
300K miles on the original transmission.

So I'll have to believe your tranny expert has a cranial rectal inversion problem...
canzus
canzus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down