BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Line lock question

4 posters

Go down

Line lock question Empty Line lock question

Post  airford1 August 12th 2015, 3:30 am

This may be a stupid ?but can you over power the line lock in the burn out with too much tire.....14 inch wide 2900 lbs and 550 hp to the rear wheels with skinny front tires.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Line lock question Empty Re: Line lock question

Post  DILLIGASDAVE August 12th 2015, 7:08 am

Depends.....

Are we talking about over powering the front brakes (rolling the tire), or over powereing the front tire/ground contact patch (sliding the tire)? I have seen both.

It's possible for a car to have the line-lock hold the front brakes 100% locked tight, only to slide the front tires foward on the track surface. Sometimes it's from having a small front tire contact patch, or having some water under the front tires, or the slicks sitting in a dry water box.

If it's the front brakes not holding correctly (vs sliding the front tires), then that could be a problem with the brake system, (bad brakes, bad m/c, wrong m/c, m/c plumbed backwards, wrong pedal ratio, etc, etc) or a crap/weak/dead line-lock.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick August 12th 2015, 9:25 am

Sometimes it's just a matter of trying to get too much burnout.  The days of having to build a lot of heat in the tires are pretty much gone.  Slick tire manufacturers will tell you to get them clean and dry, with just a little smoke.  I'd say if you're happy with the way the brakes work at  other places on the track, don't sweat it too much.

I'm constantly being told that I don't get a good burnout...yet the car hooks to beat hell every time.  I start my burnout in high gear to get the tire speed up quickly (spinning them dry in low, then shifting is a good way to overpower the front brakes and/or skinny front tires.) and let it roll out.

I do my short burnout routine every time for 3 reasons:

1.  I don't have any trouble getting hold of the starting line.
2.  I'm not in the water box to impress anyone.
3.  I'm the one who pays for new slicks.

Just my .02
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  airford1 August 12th 2015, 1:38 pm

Thanks . I am happy with the brakes and yes it front tires are skinnies with a small patch that is being over powered.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  Jetman August 12th 2015, 11:41 pm

I like your style Maverick. The paint on your car is extreme
Jetman
Jetman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content