BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How close can have wheelie bar to coilover?

2 posters

Go down

How close can have wheelie bar to coilover? Empty How close can have wheelie bar to coilover?

Post  rocketpony August 14th 2015, 1:14 pm

It's the competition engineerinng 44" sprung ones with the flat bar on bottom. It's ladder bar with coil overs.
I know competition engineering says to have bars minimum 1" from any suspension, but I got problem , with keeping 1/2" clearence from sidewall of slick and wheelie bar I can only get 9/16" between coilover and wheelie bar.
How close can I have the wheelie bar to the coilover spring? It's the top bar on the wheelie bars.
I have come out on tire with a spacer as much as I can
Thanks

rocketpony

Back to top Go down

How close can have wheelie bar to coilover? Empty Re: How close can have wheelie bar to coilover?

Post  DILLIGASDAVE August 15th 2015, 7:05 pm

Just currious, why use an ancient style/design wheelie bar (short length bars with aluminum strip bottom + spring loaded) vs a more modern wheelie bar design (longer length bars & using all round tubing with no springs)?

Also why attempt to mount the wheelie bars outside the shocks in a tight space (between the shocks & the slicks) vs the easier route of mounting them inside between both the shocks like most do these days?
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

How close can have wheelie bar to coilover? Empty Re: How close can have wheelie bar to coilover?

Post  rocketpony August 16th 2015, 11:07 am

I thought with mounted inside the coilover a that they would be too far apart. On the inside of the coilover the rear housig isn't round, it's already started to flare for center

rocketpony

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE August 16th 2015, 6:53 pm

rocketpony wrote:I thought with mounted inside the coilover a that they would be too far apart...........

I'm kinda confused here. Are you saying mounting the wheelie bars inside/between the coil overs makes the wheelie bars sit too wide?? Or that mounting the wheelie bars inside/between the coil overs makes the coil overs themselves sit too wide???

Either way it might be an idea to post a few good pic's of the current setup (with rear suspension compressed to ride height) so we get a better idea of how you have everything laid out.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  rocketpony August 16th 2015, 7:27 pm

Sorry, I meant to say that afraid they would be too close together with on inboard side of coilovers

rocketpony

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE August 17th 2015, 4:12 am

Not sure what the minimum width is for the ancient style wheelie bars (or if they even have a minimum width). But the modern style wheelie bars can usually be installed fairly close together if necessary with good results.

When installed fairly close together the modern style "dual wheel" wheelie bars do work ok (effective height adjustability & effective side-to-side height stagger adjustability). My opinon is that (with the modern design stuff), if it turned out that the narrow spaced "dual wheel" wheelie bars were ineffective & a pain in the ass to adjust, then nobody would use them. And if the narrow dual wheel w/b was a in fact a pain, then you can bet money nobody would even mess with a super narrow "single wheel" style wheelie bar. But it's a fact that even the super narrow single wheel unit can usually be made to work ok too (depending on the car of course).
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  rocketpony August 17th 2015, 2:29 pm

Ok thanks again guys, I guess I mount them on the inside of the coilovers then, approx width will be 20"

rocketpony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down