BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C6 problem

4 posters

Go down

C6 problem Empty C6 problem

Post  srpservices August 24th 2015, 4:28 pm

i have a 78 4x4 with a 460 off road truck. running the truck it just acted like it hit neutral and the motor hit the rev limiter. couldnt get it to move in any gear. pulled it back n checked for leaks, fluid level and linkage problems. all seemed good fired it up and it went in all gears. took it back out and it did the same thing. running it at about 5800rpm in first gear hit the rev limiter like it hit neutral. no noise or bang. wont even act like it is engaging in any gear. i have read a bunch of post on here but havent found exact issue just similar issues.
just looking for some advise on what i might be looking for. going to pull pan and look later, it has new fluid and filter. fluid is nice n clean on dipstick.
thanks for any input

scott

srpservices

Back to top Go down

C6 problem Empty More Info

Post  srpservices August 26th 2015, 9:49 pm

got the truck cleaned up and ready to go in the barn. started it up and it went in gear, backed off trailer and drove it in the barn. never had this kind of problem with a transmission. Have read alot of these post on here and cant quite find anything that is like this.
maybe someone has had a similar issue that hasnt posted what it was.

thanks scott

srpservices

Back to top Go down

C6 problem Empty Re: C6 problem

Post  supervel45 August 26th 2015, 10:39 pm

Short oil filter on a deep pan?

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 August 26th 2015, 10:39 pm

Delete double post.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 August 27th 2015, 12:00 am

Had that happen to my 69 F100 back about 8 years ago the filter was not sealing when the fluid was all drain back in the pan it would go right in gear and after it got warm it would not go in gear. All this happen after I changed the filter and fluid and found that the filter was bent and not sealing off at the valve body put another new filter in and it still working fine.

But if you have a deep pan could be what 45 said
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust August 27th 2015, 5:16 am

Correct oil level , correct dipstick ??

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  srpservices August 28th 2015, 11:16 pm

been working and havent had time to do much. going to pull the pan tmw and check the filter and gasket. also see if there is anything in the pan that shouldnt be.
dip stick is good and i did check fluid level first when this happened.
i will post any thing i find

thanks scott

srpservices

Back to top Go down

Post  srpservices August 29th 2015, 8:55 pm

i pulled the pan today n found alot of black crumbs in the bottom. pulled the filter and found a rippled spot where it may have not been sealing. guess with the crumb problem i will have to pull it and have it gone through.

i will for sure check the surface of new filters from now on. this one is pretty wrinkly along a pretty good area on one side.

thanks for the replies. i will post what i find out is wrong with it.

scott

srpservices

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 August 29th 2015, 9:19 pm

It's hard to say without seeing a picture or in person, but I have had black clutch material in the bottom of transmissions that still have some life left. I would try a new filter and see what happens first, before I pull it. I have also seen people burned on false dipstick readings on transmissions, by not checking them properly, and they where low on fluid and act as you describe.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum