BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coan glide rebuild - Need aftermarket panetary

+6
maverick
cool40
bosshoss
NITROUS FORD
Gregaust
D. Sea
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Coan glide rebuild - Need aftermarket panetary Empty Coan glide rebuild - Need aftermarket panetary

Post  D. Sea October 1st 2016, 9:17 pm

Just a heads up and thread to document the rebuild.  This is a coan glide with all JW externals and pro tree brake.  Third pass at the bbf race in June felt something "cachunking" in the transmission so I parked it..

Dropped the trans last weekend and started taking it apart today.  A little clutch debris in the pan but not bad however found one tooth from a gear, don't know which one yet.  Removed filter and valve body then had to stop.

I'll pull the pump, clutches and planetary cluster tomorrow.  Supposed to have the good straight cut 1000+ hp rated gears.

FYI:  JW bell, case, tailshaft housing and deep pan

Shout out to Randy Bichsel for the "How to build a performance powerglide" manual.  It's been really handy.  Thanks bud

Edit:  New questions

New aftermarket Powerglide Planetary
What brand would you get and why?

When I break something, I try to fix it so it won’t break again therefore I’m shopping for an aftermarket PG planetary set and bolt on billet shaft.

What would you buy?

Application is 825hp 534ci BBF in a 3200# car (With driver).  Keep in mind that future may bring more power.  Regardless,  I don’t want it to break again.
Here’s a few examples
http://www.coanracing.com/Catalog.asp?ProductDetail=143
http://www.tciauto.com/tc/powerglide-bolt-together-planetaries-1-8-ratiohtml/
http://www.bteracing.com/products/BTE247410
Feel free to add more options if applicable
Discuss…

Last edited by D. Sea on October 3rd 2016, 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Coan glide rebuild - Need aftermarket panetary Empty Re: Coan glide rebuild - Need aftermarket panetary

Post  Gregaust October 2nd 2016, 3:00 am

Look forward to seeing what happened Sad

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Coan glide rebuild - Need aftermarket panetary Empty Re: Coan glide rebuild - Need aftermarket panetary

Post  D. Sea October 2nd 2016, 4:07 pm

Update: looks like stock gears or maybe aftermarket but NOT straight cut gears and the dumbasses welded the planetary together instead of doing it the correct way Shocked

A few chipped teeth and damaged reverse ring. Clutches and band look brand new.
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  NITROUS FORD October 2nd 2016, 4:14 pm

all I can say to that is wow! Shocked

NITROUS FORD

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss October 2nd 2016, 6:10 pm

yup the stock 1.76 gearsets will last for while at 750-800hp. After that broken teeth and twisted outputs are the norm.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea October 2nd 2016, 7:03 pm

Looking at getting the complete aftermarket planetary and shaft. Will rebuild this one some day as a back up when I can find a good deal on a gear set. Wil need to grind off the welds and get the service removable pins.
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 October 2nd 2016, 11:14 pm

I would figure a coat glide would have better parts in it. confused I know some folks have welded a cage of some sort on the planetary but still fail in short order.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea October 3rd 2016, 8:18 am

Everything else looks great. All roller bearings and pro tree transbrake. Just found the weak link in the gears. Hell it's only money Suspect
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick October 3rd 2016, 9:04 am

D. Sea wrote:Everything else looks great.  All roller bearings and pro tree transbrake.  Just found the weak link in the gears.  Hell it's only money Suspect

Damon, you might try to contact chuck. I bought the set you and I discussed. He sounded as if he may have others.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea October 3rd 2016, 10:58 am

Thanks Kim but I'm looking at getting the whole deal. I may rebuild this one some day for someone elses transmission.

Update: I added it to the first post as well.

New aftermarket Powerglide Planetary
What brand would you get and why?

When I break something, I try to fix it so it won’t break again therefore I’m shopping for an aftermarket PG planetary set and bolt on billet shaft.

What would you buy?

Application is 825hp 534ci BBF in a 3200# car (With driver). Keep in mind that future may bring more power. Regardless, I don’t want it to break again.
Here’s a few examples
http://www.coanracing.com/Catalog.asp?ProductDetail=143
http://www.tciauto.com/tc/powerglide-bolt-together-planetaries-1-8-ratiohtml/
http://www.bteracing.com/products/BTE247410
Feel free to add more options if applicable
Discuss…
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 3rd 2016, 11:56 am

Bte 1.80 st cut and be done w it
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 October 3rd 2016, 12:05 pm

Here is what I'm running.............

Been 1.130 60ft @ 3200 lb. with it several times. So far so good.

http://transmission-specialties.com/641/product_info.php?products_id=289
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 October 3rd 2016, 2:26 pm

I don't know what's in my ptc glide but it's took beating. The car is only 2650 # but it leaves somewhere between 4800-6500. I ran it behind my other motor @5.40's for a long time. They just said it was 1.80 straight cut.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea October 3rd 2016, 4:03 pm

What about Input shaft? At what point does one upgrade to a billet input shaft?
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 3rd 2016, 5:06 pm

Id have one in it now, lots of diff styles, depends on pump
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea October 3rd 2016, 6:24 pm

Fabio and Blake,

Thank you for the help today. You're my HeRoS cheers
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 October 4th 2016, 10:19 am

Wink Cool
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Coan glide rebuild - Need aftermarket panetary Empty Update

Post  D. Sea October 6th 2016, 2:14 pm

Update:   Took everything apart to clean it really good including the valve body.  A check ball fell out and I have no clue where it went.  Called COAN and sent pictures of the valve body halves to him.  He said that they don’t use check balls in the Pro Tree valve bodies but did a really long time ago.  
May not even be a COAN valve body…  It did work really well, who knows.  

Will update when applicable

Edit Update: He just called back. It is one of the older pro tree valve bodies. Newer versions make a few changes to eliminate the check ball. He's sending pictures or diagrams to show where it goes. He said don't use a gasket on that side of the valve body and plate, it could leak.
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 October 6th 2016, 2:26 pm

Your goods are on the road to you today............. Wink
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea October 6th 2016, 2:36 pm

IDT-572 wrote:Your goods are on the road to you today.............  Wink

SWEET!!!! I owe you... Again

Update, Update, Update. Received the illustration. I would have never guessed where it went, but I know now cheers
It actually sits on top of the seperater plate, on the Big or filter half side.

D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 October 7th 2016, 1:56 pm

cool40 wrote:I don't know what's in my ptc glide but it's took beating. The car is only 2650 # but it leaves somewhere between 4800-6500. I ran it behind my other motor @5.40's for a long time. They just said it was 1.80 straight cut.

PTC will have a trans specialties unit in it.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 October 7th 2016, 3:30 pm

You can still break the 1.80 straight cuts. I had a set from Transmission Specialties. They didn't break but had several teeth chipped up. I went ahead and replaced them. They had been in the car probably 10 years and no telling how many runs on them. I'm sure stock 1.76's would have never lasted that long.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 7th 2016, 3:55 pm

You gotta take stuff apart and inspect it every so often even if it aint broke on a hard hittin deal
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss October 7th 2016, 4:11 pm

You mean to tell me these high end expensive race parts don't last forever. Shocked Shocked LOL

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 October 7th 2016, 4:41 pm

D. Sea wrote:What about Input shaft?  At what point does one upgrade to a billet input shaft?

Is it a turbo of PG spline one?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next