BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

billet main cap question

3 posters

Go down

billet main cap question Empty billet main cap question

Post  blown473 December 7th 2009, 8:19 pm

Has anyone used the front or rear billet main caps from pro-gram or blue thunder? I'm adding splayed caps to the center 3 on a d1ve block and wanted to know has anybody else used the outer caps and how did it work out. I'm going to line bore/hone anyway so this won't really add much to the cost, if I'm going to do it, nows the time. Any feedback at all would be appreciated. Thanks, Greg
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

billet main cap question Empty Re: billet main cap question

Post  BIGINCH'S December 7th 2009, 11:07 pm

I've used the blue thunders caps on all 5 mains and would recomend the front 4 bolt cap with pin but save some money and just use the stock rear cap if yours registers tight and has not had cap walk problems. The blue thunder rear cap is billet but it is just a 2 bolt cap which requires a bit of machine work to get it installed.

I may have some pics of that block -( before & after machining) on a old computer if you need some visual perspective.

STEVE

BIGINCH'S

Back to top Go down

billet main cap question Empty main cap/blue thunder

Post  blown473 December 7th 2009, 11:23 pm

Thanks for the reply. I did not know blue thunders front cap was a 4 bolt cap; their web site has no pictures of their products. Pro-grams is billet but only a 2 bolt cap, rear is same as blue thunder. This is why this forum is so valuable, I just gained some important information, Thank you! I run a blower so the front cap get extra stress from the 3" belt tugging on it so a 4 bolt cap has a big appeal.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGINCH'S December 7th 2009, 11:47 pm

Front is 4 bolt and pinned as well on that one.
If your gonna put caps on and your running a blower then go with the front cap for sure.

STEVE

BIGINCH'S

Back to top Go down

billet main cap question Empty Caps

Post  blown473 December 8th 2009, 12:08 am

Thanks biginche's , appreciate the info. I've been running an 871 on a 2 bolt block with a main girdle and arp studs for about 6+ years with no issues but I'm stepping up from 473 cid to 545 and want to add some strength to the new motor. I've got Blue thunder heads so I've used their products and like them, so I will order up the front cap from them.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

billet main cap question Empty program main caps

Post  birdracer December 8th 2009, 10:14 am

yes I have used the program front and rear caps...nice parts,fit and worked very well..brian

birdracer

Back to top Go down

billet main cap question Empty Thanks Brian aka Birdracer

Post  blown473 December 8th 2009, 9:34 pm

Thanks for the reply. Pro-grams web site has good pictures they look like a top quality billet product, and the prices are very competitive. I wish Blue thunder had a better site, only pics for some items. Some companys now how to make a great product, but don't market them very well. Seeing and then touching are the keys to a sale. ( manufacturers/retailers listening? thats free advise from decades of selling the stuff!) Paul Kane and Lem Evans are experts at this they both post pictures so detailed you want those parts now! (And the fact they sell the best stuff-no junk!) I'm a little off topic here but I want to say Thanks to everybody here on the forum for the help to fill in the blanks on product or use questions and to the parts retailers here who not only help with good advise, but keep us in quality parts as well. Thank you all Greg blown473 Very Happy
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down