BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

69 Lincoln C6?

4 posters

Go down

69 Lincoln C6? Empty 69 Lincoln C6?

Post  56f100guy January 12th 2017, 6:27 pm

I bought a 460 and C6 from out of a 69 Lincoln Continental.

The crank mounted power steering is strange enough, but the trans...?

I've seen hundreds of transmissions, but have -never- saw one with the left corner slanted.

Is this by chance a sought after C6? Apparently its Lincoln only that has that slant? Very odd to me.

What did I buy?! I'm not quite positive yet, but I do know its a 10.5:1 engine, 500ft.lbs @2800?! Ok Smile

56f100guy

Back to top Go down

69 Lincoln C6? Empty Re: 69 Lincoln C6?

Post  Frank Merkl January 12th 2017, 8:23 pm

trans is made so it will fit MEL series engine also (430-462 ) all 460's have the MEL bell housing pattern on them . trans should have a 5 clutch direct drum
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  56f100guy January 12th 2017, 10:09 pm

Thanks for the reply, Frank. Would this trans be worth using, or could it be worth more to somebody with a Lincoln?

I'm admittedly way out of my comfort zone on transmission tech. A 5 clutch direct drum...? Is that a good thing?

EDIT-  in research I see a 5 clutches as an 'upgrade' . normally 3, sometimes 4? So..this IS a good transmission then....right?

I'm just building a cruiser. I have no intentions of going crazy on this project. Its all going in a 56 F-100, so likely no wheel stands , nor will it ever handle like a sports car. I'll be fine with just roasting tires at will. 46 going on 16...

I think its been sitting awhile. Other than fresh fluid and filter, what else would you recommend I do before I run it? The fluid is still a very nice color and doesn't smell at all burnt.

56f100guy

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust January 13th 2017, 5:40 am

56f100guy wrote: A 5 clutch direct drum...? Is that a good thing?

EDIT-  in research I see a 5 clutches as an 'upgrade' . normally 3, sometimes 4? So..this IS a good transmission then....right?

Yes it is good . If the oil looks good , prob best idea drop the pan for a look , all clean , fresh fluid and go. Junk in the pan , time to look deeper

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  56f100guy January 13th 2017, 6:32 am

Thanks again for the information. I keep finding out things about my recent purchase that are making me...happy. I'm like a kid with a new toy and I'm still just playing with the box it came in.

If this trans is anything like the engine it came with and was originally bolted to, it will be.. spotless.

I think this ones a keeper. Odd shaped bell, heavily finned and 'extra' clutches...cool! I think I'll like the "Wtf?" factor.

I'm learning a lot here in both reading and searching. I know it can be annoying being asked questions when they've already been answered a million times.  

As I understand its overall case length is like 3 inches longer, and has the 'bad' Lincoln crossmember mounting, but ill figure that out when I get there.

56f100guy

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 January 13th 2017, 6:07 pm

While you have it out go ahead and put new front and rear seals lot easier now than when you get it installed and find a leak
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl January 13th 2017, 7:34 pm

should be taken apart and resealed as all the seals will be hard as a rock just from age it is just about 50 years old
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  56f100guy January 13th 2017, 8:17 pm

Frank Merkl wrote:should be taken apart and resealed as all the seals will be hard as a rock just from age it is just about 50 years old
Frank

Could you elaborate on that? I figure you mean at least the pump and tailshaft seal, but how much further do I need to go in? Would I need specialty tools? I've wrenched on many cars, so I have a decent selection of 'normal' tools.

I see generic seal kits on ebay (for reference, not purchase) that are less than $30 Any recommendations on brand names for a decent seal kit? Any links for seals or 'how to' would be greatly appreciated.

I attempted to rebuild a TH350 many moons ago and...well..not so well. Pre internet days.

I would -prefer- not to tear this thing open, but obviously now would be the most opportune time. Old dog learning new tricks...this could take awhile.

Ill do more Googling on seals and how to replace them in the mean time...

Thanks again!

56f100guy

Back to top Go down

Post  56f100guy January 14th 2017, 2:15 am

They make it look so easy on YouTube lol. A 22 minute realtime video and they have a C6 ripped down to an empty case.

I almost forgot I have a book (remember those?) on transmissions. Fwiw, its 'Automotive Transmissions and Power Trains' I think its a school type book, its got 'review' sections. Looks like that may help in my seal replacements.

Ill admit, transmissions intimidate me. Sooo many pieces and parts. Ugh...

Back to researching -where- to get decent seal kits. Id imagine my local parts store would be a deer in the headlights if I asked them..."uh, a what?" I have shoes smarter then them sometimes I swear.

56f100guy

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust January 14th 2017, 4:37 am

Do you know the history of the trans ? Was it rebuilt with the motor? If not would pay to go in deeper , I was assuming it was built with the motor

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  56f100guy January 14th 2017, 5:28 am

Gregaust wrote:Do you know the history of the trans ? Was it rebuilt with the motor? If not would pay to go in deeper , I was assuming it was built with the motor

Supposedly 66,147 miles. I've been digging a little more into the engine. I finally pulled the oil pan tonight and there was just a -tiny- amount of sludge. It seemed unusually clean to me. I've seen stuff 40 years newer with more gunk inside than this. Seriously.

I don't think either the engine or the trans has ever been touched, I think it was just -very- well maintained. Granny probably took it to the Dealership, it even had a Ford oil filter.

I haven't pulled the pan on the trans yet, but the fluid on the stick and from the converter is like fresh from the bottle clean.

I'm trying to keep this within a reasonable budget, but realize its easier..now. I didn't really plan on tearing either unit open, but...Murphy says i probably should.

Thanks again for the help, and having the patients to answer my newb questions Rolling Eyes

56f100guy

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust January 15th 2017, 2:35 am

Frank Merkl wrote:should be taken apart and resealed as all the seals will be hard as a rock just from age it is just about 50 years old
Frank

Well since it's that old , I'd revert to Franks Advice Smile

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum