BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does using a big tire really cost you two tenths in 1/8 over 28x10 if it can hooks?

4 posters

Go down

Does using a big tire really cost you two tenths in 1/8 over 28x10 if it can hooks? Empty Does using a big tire really cost you two tenths in 1/8 over 28x10 if it can hooks?

Post  ED468 May 19th 2017, 12:27 am

Guy telling me his 6.10 camaro would gain two tenths in 1/8 going from 33x15 to 28x10. Car weighs around 3300w/d. I can see a tenth but i would think it be like 50 hp to get tenth from low sixes.

ED468

Back to top Go down

Does using a big tire really cost you two tenths in 1/8 over 28x10 if it can hooks? Empty Re: Does using a big tire really cost you two tenths in 1/8 over 28x10 if it can hooks?

Post  supervel45 May 19th 2017, 12:43 am

I don't know about 2 teenths but skinny tires and radials are fast as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URKoh9-sQx4 3.70's Radial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-AXdgWgPVk 3.48 Big Slick

I know it's backwards but, think about it for awhile. Cool

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Does using a big tire really cost you two tenths in 1/8 over 28x10 if it can hooks? Empty Re: Does using a big tire really cost you two tenths in 1/8 over 28x10 if it can hooks?

Post  supervel45 May 19th 2017, 12:54 am

ED468 wrote:Guy telling me his 6.10 camaro would gain two tenths in 1/8 going from 33x15 to 28x10. Car weighs around 3300w/d. I can see a tenth but i would think it be like 50 hp to get tenth from low sixes.

That is a lot of rubber to roll down the track not to mention the change it made to his gear ratio. I could see it happening.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE May 19th 2017, 2:14 am

All depends on the total engine/chassis/gearing combo....

There are a lot of lower power big tire bracket cars out there that could easily have enough traction with a tiny tire (and possibly a better ET), but they use the big tire anyway just for the added traction insurance. On the other hand there are some super fast big power "small tire" cars out there that can only get from A to B under power on a small tire because of technology (IE traction controllers/ignition controllers/nitrous-boost controllers/etc). Without the technology they would have to use a big tire.

If someone was to try a back-to-back big tire vs small tire swap test at the track on a given car it would only be fair if the car's rear gear was also swapped out to work with the different tire diameters.

It should also be mentioned that some lighter cars (like say a 2200lb full chassis door car) a lot of times needs that bigger tire to even have a chance at hooking just because it is so light. This is because the lighter car might not have enough extra static weight (more weight = more "passive traction") sitting on the tires to "help" a small tire's traction.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Copperhead May 19th 2017, 9:11 am

FWIW,.......

My truck runs one tenth faster on Drag Radials, ....over my bias-ply Slicks. BUT,......getting the radials to work,....can sometimes be tricky. It all depends on the track prep.
Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Does using a big tire really cost you two tenths in 1/8 over 28x10 if it can hooks? Empty If effected gearing stayed the same, like changed, he runs like a 5.40 gear or so.

Post  ED468 May 19th 2017, 3:10 pm

I know Radials are quicker and thought that was less rolling resistance, I don't know never had set of Radials but see people pick up 5 hundreths or so on a big tire 6.0s car in 1/8. Yes gearing should of been mentioned. This a Bigblock Chevy guy who obsessed with coming up with excuses why my street motor out ran him. Just was meaning to ask if everything was the same how much e.t was loss do to Tire weight. I would think more guys would Mini tub like a 31x13.50 if it ate so much power. His car does big wheelies, its a High compression special purpose drag motor. I had a street cam two sizes too small and drove mine around on pump gas. I've seen small block cars I thought go from ten inch slicks to tubbed and not loose much yrs ago and not loose much but alot more consistannt. It is what it is,but he will have a excuse no matter what. He got four wheels with light weight brakes and mine are all stock, thats half the gain as slicks I bet. My heads are streets with factory Pierce points not rolled and changed everything heads. Brodix with special brodix intake, He also think running Q116 is fair for him lol. I liked my 92 octane. You guys got to get tired of the bickering from chevy guys who they call your friends when 5 yrs later they still got something up their a$$. I hate small towns all chevy lol, But I like chevys Shocked Shocked Heck i went to smallblock for gas milage, if i wanted to go fast 351cubes woudlnt do it lol. Also his car cranked out 240 psi compared to my 180 psi and his cam is bigger with with same LSA. He wont except mine was build to cruise and some test and tune, But thats another thing goes in one ear through other lol.

ED468

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down