econo dragster

View previous topic View next topic Go down

econo dragster

Post  snuff98 on May 31st 2017, 3:22 pm

anyone ever put a bbf in a little short econo rail? I just bought one for my son, it will be a very mild 557 and a glide. Car has a chrisler rear, some old school mags and spoke motorcycle wheels up front. Car seems to have been built in a real chassis shop. The only thing worrying me is the top frame rail are only 18 inches apart. It will be a very tight fit, and i may have to cut ears off the block near the head surface.

Any suggestions or pics of a project like this please share.

snuff98

Posts : 83
Join date : 2016-08-04
Age : 46
Location : Hessmer Louisiana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: econo dragster

Post  dfree383 on June 3rd 2017, 8:36 am

Just a heads up watch those older cars most of them will not certify for anything faster than 10.0 in the 1/4 and spoke wheels are not legal.

a 557 will typically go a lot faster than that.

I wouldn't put my kid in what you have described.
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13345
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: econo dragster

Post  pmrphil on June 3rd 2017, 8:57 am

dfree383 wrote:Just a heads up watch those older cars most of them will not certify for anything faster than 10.0 in the 1/4 and spoke wheels are not legal.

a 557 will typically go a lot faster than that.

I wouldn't put my kid in what you have described.

When did they make dragster wire wheels illegal? Mine have never failed tech or been mentioned at cert?

pmrphil

Posts : 31
Join date : 2016-10-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: econo dragster

Post  dfree383 on June 3rd 2017, 10:01 am

pmrphil wrote:
dfree383 wrote:Just a heads up watch those older cars most of them will not certify for anything faster than 10.0 in the 1/4 and spoke wheels are not legal.

a 557 will typically go a lot faster than that.

I wouldn't put my kid in what you have described.

When did they make dragster wire wheels illegal? Mine have never failed tech or been mentioned at cert?

Motorcycle ones, and you need to watch class, weight and speed, the automotive type aren't allowed in all situations and classes, but yes you are right automotive types are sometimes legal
avatar
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 13345
Join date : 2009-07-09
Location : Home Wif Da Wife.....

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: econo dragster

Post  Curt on June 3rd 2017, 10:31 am

dfree383 wrote:
pmrphil wrote:
dfree383 wrote:Just a heads up watch those older cars most of them will not certify for anything faster than 10.0 in the 1/4 and spoke wheels are not legal.

a 557 will typically go a lot faster than that.

I wouldn't put my kid in what you have described.

When did they make dragster wire wheels illegal? Mine have never failed tech or been mentioned at cert?

Motorcycle ones, and you need to watch class, weight and speed, the automotive type aren't allowed in all situations and classes, but yes you are right automotive types are sometimes legal

As long as they have a .100" minimum diameter spoke, greater than 12" diameter and cross-laced they are usually legal in any class that this car would be compete in. That includes motorcycle and automotive wheels.
avatar
Curt

Posts : 2584
Join date : 2009-02-08
Age : 55
Location : Henrietta, Texas but mostly on the road

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: econo dragster

Post  snuff98 on June 5th 2017, 7:51 am

thanks for the info. Engine will be tuned down to run low 6's 8'th mile. Wheels are motorcycle type but if need be I can swap them over to some type of spindle mount dragster wheel.

snuff98

Posts : 83
Join date : 2016-08-04
Age : 46
Location : Hessmer Louisiana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum