ICON Pistons

Go down

ICON Pistons

Post  wickettoby1 on March 5th 2018, 4:53 pm

I'm looking at using the ICON 861KTD-030 piston kit for a 545 build that I'm planning. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the ICON Premium Forged line of pistons. For the $$ they seem like a quality product at a good price point.

Application

4200 LB Street Car (max of 2500 miles a year)
Would like to make max HP by 65-6700 RPM
SCJ Heads (Back cut intake valves, gasket match, general casting cleanup)
93 Octane pump gas or possibly E85 (shooting for approx 11:1 comp ratio)
Victor Intake
Dominator or TB Injection
Cam- Looking into a HR grind with a SR lifter so its easier on the valve train

That should be a good starting point for the general direction that I'm headed.  Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks

Justin

wickettoby1

Posts : 140
Join date : 2016-02-02
Location : SE Michigan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ICON Pistons

Post  BBFmustang on March 5th 2018, 8:45 pm

I am running a set in my 460 forget part # they are .60 over have no issue yet.
avatar
BBFmustang
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 168
Join date : 2009-08-10
Age : 52
Location : Fitzgerald,Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ICON Pistons

Post  rmcomprandy on March 5th 2018, 9:28 pm

wickettoby1 wrote:I'm looking at using the ICON 861KTD-030 piston kit for a 545 build that I'm planning. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the ICON Premium Forged line of pistons. For the $$ they seem like a quality product at a good price point.

Application

4200 LB Street Car (max of 2500 miles a year)
Would like to make max HP by 65-6700 RPM
SCJ Heads (Back cut intake valves, gasket match, general casting cleanup)
93 Octane pump gas or possibly E85 (shooting for approx 11:1 comp ratio)
Victor Intake
Dominator or TB Injection
Cam- Looking into a HR grind with a SR lifter so its easier on the valve train

That should be a good starting point for the general direction that I'm headed.  Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks

Justin

I have installed many ICON pistons in street/strip types of all Ford engines, Chevrolets, Pontiacs, and even an AMC Jeep 6 cylinder, with no issues of any kind.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5178
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: ICON Pistons

Post  wickettoby1 on March 6th 2018, 2:34 am

Thanks for the info guys. Anyone else with some experiences don't hesitate to speak up.

Justin

wickettoby1

Posts : 140
Join date : 2016-02-02
Location : SE Michigan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ICON Pistons

Post  Carl on March 6th 2018, 2:35 pm

Icon makes a good piston.

I've sold a ton of them, built a bunch of motors with them, and run them in my own car. Not one problem, ever.


.

Carl

Posts : 264
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Colorado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ICON Pistons

Post  wickettoby1 on March 6th 2018, 2:38 pm

Has anyone ever ran them with a 1.350 or shorter comp height? My planned build is a 4.5 stroke with a 6.7 rod and a 1.350 comp height.

wickettoby1

Posts : 140
Join date : 2016-02-02
Location : SE Michigan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ICON Pistons

Post  Carl on March 6th 2018, 4:51 pm

wickettoby1 wrote:Has anyone ever ran them with a 1.350 or shorter comp height? My planned build is a 4.5 stroke with a 6.7 rod and a 1.350 comp height.

Yes, several. Including my own car. Zero issues.

.

Carl

Posts : 264
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Colorado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ICON Pistons

Post  wickettoby1 on March 6th 2018, 4:53 pm

I like what I'm hearing. I think I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on a set.

Carl

Did you find a particular set of rings that worked better than the rest?

wickettoby1

Posts : 140
Join date : 2016-02-02
Location : SE Michigan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ICON Pistons

Post  Carl on March 7th 2018, 1:32 pm

wickettoby1 wrote:I like what I'm hearing. I think I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on a set.

Carl

Did you find a particular set of rings that worked better than the rest?

All major brands are good, but I generally prefer Total Seal if they're available.


.

Carl

Posts : 264
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Colorado

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum