BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

oil pressure concern

+5
Paul Kane
bosshoss
Mark Miller
dfree383
lance flake
9 posters

Go down

oil pressure concern Empty oil pressure concern

Post  lance flake March 29th 2018, 5:02 pm

Freshened our 529 up over the winter due to a lifter failure. Clevite h bearings .003-.0032 on mains and .0023-.0026 on rods. The problem is on start up the oil pressure is slow to climb but goes to 55 ish and holds steady 45 ish when hot idleing. The only real change from previous buid was going from comp roller lifters to morel pro lifter. I have a kasse pump and moroso truck 9 qt pan on engine. Replaced gauge and added new #4an line. We have made about 12 passes and cut oil filter open nothing in filter abnormal. Is this a common thing with the morel lifters or do I need to look elsewhere? thanks

lance flake

Back to top Go down

oil pressure concern Empty Re: oil pressure concern

Post  dfree383 March 29th 2018, 5:04 pm

55 is pleanty of pressure imo
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  lance flake March 29th 2018, 5:25 pm

Yes I am satisfied with the 55 psi. The concern is when started up especially first start after sitting overnight it takes about 10 seconds or so for the gauge to read oil pressure. It was slow to build pressure on the engine stand with drill while priming pump but I didn't think much of it having to fill filter, 300 rpm out of drill, ect.

lance flake

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller March 29th 2018, 11:07 pm

Did you use the same brand gauge and were you using the 4an line before?

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  lance flake March 29th 2018, 11:52 pm

Line and gauge made no difference. Had a 25 year old auto meter and copper line. Replaced with new auto meter and braided line

lance flake

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss March 29th 2018, 11:56 pm

what block?
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane March 30th 2018, 12:31 am

Take those two “known quantity” gauges & lines and plumb one of ‘em at the back of the block and the other at the front of the block, and then simultaneously observe the oil pressure behavior reported on both gauges during start up.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

J.Toney likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain March 30th 2018, 7:48 am

lance flake wrote:Freshened our 529 up over the winter due to a lifter failure. Clevite h bearings .003-.0032 on mains and .0023-.0026 on rods. The problem is on start up the oil pressure is slow to climb but goes to 55 ish and holds steady 45 ish when hot idleing. The only real change from previous buid was going from comp roller lifters to morel pro lifter. I have a kasse pump and moroso truck 9 qt pan on engine. Replaced gauge and added new #4an line. We have made about 12 passes and cut oil filter open nothing in filter abnormal. Is this a common thing with the morel lifters or do I need to look elsewhere? thanks

The Moroso "truck" pan does have a pretty long pickup tube so if the oil is able to drain back down into the pan after the engine is shut off for a while it might take a little bit for it to build oil pressure on a cold start. Oil filters that are made for a Ford have a check valve inside of them to help keep this from happening. Are you running a filter with a check valve or are you running the Mopar style filter which doesn't have one?

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  lance flake March 30th 2018, 8:12 am

D1 block.
I have thought about 2 gauges to compare. We are taking the reading at rear of block.
Have wix 51515 r filter with 90 degree adapter on about a 45 angle.
All these components have ran together except for lifters and I don’t Remember this issue before.
All plugs in place gaskets are on pump and pick up.

lance flake

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain March 30th 2018, 12:02 pm

I don't normally use the fancy Morel lifter but I can't say that I've ever had a problem with them being too liberal with the oil that's being fed to the top end. Most of the time they need a little polishing right by the oil hole to get them to oil correctly.

Have yours been modified in some way?

That's the right filter too.

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  rbro460 March 30th 2018, 1:12 pm

lance flake wrote:Freshened our 529 up over the winter due to a lifter failure. Clevite h bearings .003-.0032 on mains and .0023-.0026 on rods. The problem is on start up the oil pressure is slow to climb but goes to 55 ish and holds steady 45 ish when hot idleing. The only real change from previous buid was going from comp roller lifters to morel pro lifter. I have a kasse pump and moroso truck 9 qt pan on engine. Replaced gauge and added new #4an line. We have made about 12 passes and cut oil filter open nothing in filter abnormal. Is this a common thing with the morel lifters or do I need to look elsewhere? thanks

Maybe an Oil Accumulator would work in this application.
rbro460
rbro460

Back to top Go down

Post  lance flake March 30th 2018, 2:41 pm

DaveMcLain wrote:I don't normally use the fancy Morel lifter but I can't say that I've ever had a problem with them being too liberal with the oil that's being fed to the top end.  Most of the time they need a little polishing right by the oil hole to get them to oil correctly.  

Have yours been modified in some way?

That's the right filter too.

Yes I had to modify the lifter to oil the rockers. Cut about a .005 slot from oil band to hole in lifter for push rod. I would not oil the rockers at all with out the slot. I may be over worked on this deal but out all the engines I have done this is the only one I have had this issue with.

lance flake

Back to top Go down

Post  lance flake April 2nd 2018, 11:41 pm

Ran engine a few more passes oil pressure would get down to 20 psi. I was not satisfied so we pulled engine for inspection. Number 3 and 4 main bearings are trashed. Number 1,2,@5 look pretty good. Rob bearings are good compared to 3@4 mains. Engine had about 150 passes before freshen up and bearings that came out of it could have been reused. I can’t see why 3&4 mains would be in such bad shape and rod bearings feeding from those journals be ok ( not perfect by any means). I has v clevite bearings first build went to h bearings this go round.

lance flake

Back to top Go down

Post  68galaxie April 3rd 2018, 11:04 am

Bent crank?

68galaxie
68galaxie

Back to top Go down

Post  hookin78 April 3rd 2018, 12:45 pm

Did you measure the oil clearance ? old lifters vs. new lifters....? could be a touch smaller lifter bleeding oil out around the lifter more than the old set.
I check lifter bore clearance all the time now.

hookin78

Back to top Go down

Post  lance flake April 3rd 2018, 1:30 pm

Bent crank is my thought. When I get to the shop this evening I will put an indicator on it and see

The morel lifters are actually about .001 bigger than the comps. Lifter to bore clearance is about .0015-.0018 with the morels. The comps were about .0025-.0028 which was one reason to go with morels tighten clearance up a bit.

lance flake

Back to top Go down

Post  lance flake April 3rd 2018, 9:32 pm

Checked crank runout found .003 ish on 3&4 and .002 ish on #2. Now to figure out what bent shaft. I did not check it burning build but it was fine when taken apart according to how the old bearings looked. Now this is just a cheap cast crank may have just overloaded it.

lance flake

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller April 3rd 2018, 9:51 pm

Any transmission problems end of last year?

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  lance flake April 3rd 2018, 11:35 pm

Mark Miller wrote:Any transmission problems end of last year?

No sir

lance flake

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller April 4th 2018, 10:27 pm

lance flake wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:Any transmission problems end of last year?

No sir

That rules that out !!!! Smile

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down