BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

t-top cars

5 posters

Go down

t-top cars Empty t-top cars

Post  Rickytx630 January 3rd 2019, 4:00 pm

whats the rules or deal with having a fast ttop car? looked all over and cant really seem to find anything on it. i decided to take my 83 mustang that was back half and put a chassis under it to run some fast bracket racing or some local divisional ts stuff, its a t top car and i have had a few members of my local track tell me that i couldnt run them and would need the roof to be replace, im not a big fan if cutting the roof off of a car, i know done right it will wouldnt matter and things will line up, i know racecraft inc offers a carbon roof for the mustangs, i bought the roof safety panel (https://timmcamis.com/shop/roof-safety-panel-kit.html) but back to my question, am i being bullshitted or do i really need to replace the roofs? and if so how do some of the radial/outlaw guys get away with it when they have the same certs?

Rickytx630

Back to top Go down

t-top cars Empty Re: t-top cars

Post  Carl January 3rd 2019, 6:43 pm

In my experience, they're treated the same as a convertible.

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger January 3rd 2019, 6:59 pm

Never had trouble with tech, but it was not super fast.  10.teens with a basic 6 point bar.

My buddy with a 8 sec '84 (8.50 cert cage) has never had any trouble either.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickytx630 January 3rd 2019, 8:09 pm

i just hate to have it all done and ready to go and have to do that. ill roll with it

Rickytx630

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R January 3rd 2019, 9:22 pm

My buddy runs 8.7's with a T-top car and an 8.50 cage. I'd call the tech inspector and ask him. Replacing the roof isn't all that hard if you can weld and run a tape measure, makes welding the tops easy Very Happy

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 4th 2019, 4:58 am

IMO......

(A) Any non-SFI back half car really needs the more rigid full roll cage, they shouldn't rely on just a simple roll bar.

(B) Any non-SFI full chassis car should always have the more rigid full roll cage, they should never rely on just a simple roll bar.

(C) If any non-SFI car (back half or full chassis) has a full NHRA/IHRA "8.50" roll cage, then (IIRC) it is legal to 8.50, regardless if the roof has T-Tops or not.

(D) If the car is fast enough that it needs an SFI legal cage/chassis then their argument about the legality of T-Tops becomes 100% meaningless. SFI regs trump any T-Top BullSiht.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Rickytx630 January 4th 2019, 5:09 pm

thank you for clearing this up. ill continue with this build. as is.

Rickytx630

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down