Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions

Go down

Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions Empty Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions

Post  5pointslow on February 20th 2019, 11:54 am

i was looking to get a filter setup for my carb as having no inner fenderwells at track and peace of mind
i see k&n offers flow control set up -https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=61-6000 and considering ordering it

i wasnt sure what others are using, anyone see big loss hp wise on the dyno or at track ?
5pointslow
5pointslow

Posts : 1254
Join date : 2009-10-11
Age : 30
Location : MASSHOLE aka BOSTONIAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions Empty Re: Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions

Post  5pointslow on February 20th 2019, 11:56 am

also i have plenty of room for flat base as well
5pointslow
5pointslow

Posts : 1254
Join date : 2009-10-11
Age : 30
Location : MASSHOLE aka BOSTONIAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions Empty Re: Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions

Post  Copperhead on February 21st 2019, 8:35 am

I use an 11" diameter, 6" high,.. K&N filter on mine,....in conjunction with one of their XStream Air Flow Top Lids with good success.

I've ran my engine with no filter,....and it doesn't run much different.


Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions 52612813_2110011739047653_3215045168679878656_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1
Copperhead
Copperhead

Posts : 468
Join date : 2009-09-05
Age : 48
Location : Pikeville, KY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions Empty Re: Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions

Post  kjett on February 21st 2019, 8:53 am

While not exactly the same situation, we switched from a k&n to a much more expensive r2c filter setup and got faster in our mud trucks. Not sure if it was the oiled up k&n was clogged or the no oil required r2c filter is that much better. Just food for thought since the common saying around here is "you get what you pay for..."
kjett
kjett

Posts : 1163
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions Empty Re: Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions

Post  DaveMcLain on February 21st 2019, 10:46 am

kjett wrote:While not exactly the same situation, we switched from a k&n to a much more expensive r2c filter setup and got faster in our mud trucks. Not sure if it was the oiled up k&n was clogged or the no oil required r2c filter is that much better. Just food for thought since the common saying around here is "you get what you pay for..."

K and N used to be really good. About 25 years ago a customer of mine who was a beginning dirt track racer ran one. He was always back in the pack for an entire season on a 1/2 mile track that usually got very dusty. He cleaned and oiled the filter every other week usually and I never found any evidence of "sanding" the engine.

A few years ago another dirt track customer was using a K and N and was always seeing grime at the bottom of the emulsion wells in the carburetor(a good place to look). He switched to one of those R2C dry elements and it has never showed any signs of dirt.

I don't know what happened but something has changed with the K and N air filters.

DaveMcLain

Posts : 390
Join date : 2009-09-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions Empty Re: Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions

Post  kjett on February 21st 2019, 11:28 am

DaveMcLain wrote:
kjett wrote:While not exactly the same situation, we switched from a k&n to a much more expensive r2c filter setup and got faster in our mud trucks. Not sure if it was the oiled up k&n was clogged or the no oil required r2c filter is that much better. Just food for thought since the common saying around here is "you get what you pay for..."

K and N used to be really good.  About 25 years ago a customer of mine who was a beginning dirt track racer ran one.  He was always back in the pack for an entire season on a 1/2 mile track that usually got very dusty.  He cleaned and oiled the filter every other week usually and I never found any evidence of "sanding" the engine.  

A few years ago another dirt track customer was using a K and N and was always seeing grime at the bottom of the emulsion wells in the carburetor(a good place to look).  He switched to one of those R2C dry elements and it has never showed any signs of dirt.  

I don't know what happened but something has changed with the K and N air filters.

That's exactly what we saw too. Kept getting sanding deposits in and around the carb, sealed the filter several times, use the pre-filter deals. Nothing helped until the entire filter setup change, and not looking back either!

The other slick thing is you don't need to run near the same size filter to get the amount of air flow needed for a high revving, big hp motor. Cool
kjett
kjett

Posts : 1163
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions Empty Re: Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions

Post  BBFTorino on February 21st 2019, 4:28 pm

For off road, dirt/dusty conditions, they make a sock that is like panty hose that fits over the filter....kinda like a filter for the filter. And makes it look sexy too!! Very Happy

BBFTorino

Posts : 747
Join date : 2015-12-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions Empty Re: Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions

Post  5pointslow on February 24th 2019, 5:39 pm

everything i have seen and searched r2c is out of buissness , website is still up though for some odd reason
5pointslow
5pointslow

Posts : 1254
Join date : 2009-10-11
Age : 30
Location : MASSHOLE aka BOSTONIAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions Empty Re: Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions

Post  DaveMcLain on February 24th 2019, 8:04 pm

5pointslow wrote:everything i have seen and searched r2c is out of buissness , website is still up though for some odd reason

Really? No kidding I had not heard that they went out of business. I hope Craig doesn't crash the race car and crush the filter like he's done in the past...


DaveMcLain

Posts : 390
Join date : 2009-09-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions Empty Re: Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions

Post  kjett on February 25th 2019, 9:44 am

5pointslow wrote:everything i have seen and searched r2c is out of buissness , website is still up though for some odd reason

Not that I know of unless it happened recently. I know my buddy called them and ordered a replacement filter last fall, but I haven't had a reason to call them lately to check.
kjett
kjett

Posts : 1163
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions Empty Re: Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions

Post  rmcomprandy on February 25th 2019, 10:15 am

I use and recommend one of the filters available from Universal Spinners in Toronto, Canada. They have an 11" or a 14" or 16" and will even make you something custom to exactly fit your application, if needed.

Not cheap but, almost perfect.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5386
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions Empty Re: Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions

Post  5pointslow on February 25th 2019, 10:20 am

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50673

https://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-xp-turbo/482953-r2c.html

https://reviews.birdeye.com/r2c-performance-products-llc-251945056


search it its all over the place  .....tried calling with no luck
5pointslow
5pointslow

Posts : 1254
Join date : 2009-10-11
Age : 30
Location : MASSHOLE aka BOSTONIAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions Empty Re: Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions

Post  5pointslow on February 25th 2019, 10:26 am

rmcomprandy wrote:I use and recommend one of the filters available from Universal Spinners in Toronto, Canada. They have an 11" or a 14" or 16" and will even make you something custom to exactly fit your application, if needed.

Not cheap but, almost perfect.


Randy have you seen issues with that kn extreme air filter lid ? was reading on speedtalk guys saying messing up carb with air bleeds and mostly lost power vs solid top due to creating
turbulance. This is on the dyno of course

5pointslow
5pointslow

Posts : 1254
Join date : 2009-10-11
Age : 30
Location : MASSHOLE aka BOSTONIAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions Empty Re: Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions

Post  DaveMcLain on February 26th 2019, 2:14 pm

5pointslow wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:I use and recommend one of the filters available from Universal Spinners in Toronto, Canada. They have an 11" or a 14" or 16" and will even make you something custom to exactly fit your application, if needed.

Not cheap but, almost perfect.


Randy have you seen issues with that kn extreme air filter lid ? was reading on speedtalk guys saying messing up carb with air bleeds and mostly lost power vs solid top due to creating
turbulance. This is on the dyno of course


I'm not Randy but I have tested air filters a lot. You just never know until you try something weather or not it'll help, hurt or make no difference in power. I have seen one of those filter lids actually help power in one situation but I have seen it hurt in others... Bowl venting and its effect on fuel curve is very tricky sometimes.

DaveMcLain

Posts : 390
Join date : 2009-09-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions Empty Re: Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions

Post  rmcomprandy on February 26th 2019, 4:01 pm

DaveMcLain wrote:
5pointslow wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:I use and recommend one of the filters available from Universal Spinners in Toronto, Canada. They have an 11" or a 14" or 16" and will even make you something custom to exactly fit your application, if needed.

Not cheap but, almost perfect.


Randy have you seen issues with that kn extreme air filter lid ? was reading on speedtalk guys saying messing up carb with air bleeds and mostly lost power vs solid top due to creating
turbulance. This is on the dyno of course


I'm not Randy but I have tested air filters a lot.  You just never know until you try something weather or not it'll help, hurt or make no difference in power.  I have seen one of those filter lids actually help power in one situation but I have seen it hurt in others...  Bowl venting and its effect on fuel curve is very tricky sometimes.

EXACTLY ... sometimes it helps, sometimes it hurts and sometimes it doesn't change carb metering at all

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5386
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions Empty Re: Filter setup for dominator carb , suggestions

Post  5pointslow on March 4th 2019, 12:05 pm

any idea if this will choke the motor ? i dont have the clearance as the carb is towards slighly the front part of the cowl

9 inch round
3inch tall

with filter lid

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/K-N-66-3330R-X-Stream-Top-Assembly-3in-Tall-Black-Round,200079.html


its this or going with a screen on top
5pointslow
5pointslow

Posts : 1254
Join date : 2009-10-11
Age : 30
Location : MASSHOLE aka BOSTONIAN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum