BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do the cast scat crankshfts come with the small and big pilot holes

+2
rmk57
manofmerc
6 posters

Go down

Do the cast scat crankshfts come with the small and big pilot holes  Empty Do the cast scat crankshfts come with the small and big pilot holes

Post  manofmerc September 20th 2019, 3:42 pm

My convertor has the big 1.848 pilot hole .I have two 460 cranks one had the smaller size and I had it bored out to fit my convertor .My other 460 happened to have both the big and the small.No machine work needed there.Like the title says on scats stroker crankshafts do they have both big and small? I have been thinking about a pump gas engine for my drag car 502 or 532 .Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Do the cast scat crankshfts come with the small and big pilot holes  Empty Re: Do the cast scat crankshfts come with the small and big pilot holes

Post  rmk57 September 20th 2019, 5:56 pm

My 4.15 stroke 9000 series cast Scat crank came with both. 1.85 and 1.375.

rmk57

Back to top Go down

Do the cast scat crankshfts come with the small and big pilot holes  Empty Thanks

Post  manofmerc September 22nd 2019, 5:22 am

Thanks for that info .I wish for had done that with all their cranks .And it is commendable of scat to do so

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Do the cast scat crankshfts come with the small and big pilot holes  Empty Re: Do the cast scat crankshfts come with the small and big pilot holes

Post  Mark O'Neal September 25th 2019, 1:33 am

Last week I emailed Scat on the subject, because of this thread.

Maybe they'll answer someday..... Sad

Mark O'Neal

Gregaust likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark O'Neal September 25th 2019, 2:48 pm

Asgard has smiled upon us!

Good Morning Mark,

Sorry for the late reply, I was out of the office last week!

Our 460 cranks have both the 1.375” and 1.850” pilot sizes in the rear.

It is a stepped hole, the 1st step is 1.375” and the 2nd step is 1.850”

Thanks!

Jonathan Gonzalez

SCAT Enterprises, Inc.

Mark O'Neal

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane September 25th 2019, 3:29 pm

manofmerc wrote:...I wish Ford had done that with all their cranks. And it is commendable of scat to do so
When Ford 429/460 engines had just the 1.845" pilot diameter starting on the 1968 model year, that's all there was on the rear flange. But when they revised to the newer 1.375" diameter, the rear crankshaft flanges thereafter were machined with both diameters (1.845" & 1.375").

P.S. - Little known fact: some of the very earliest of the cranks also had a 1.25" pilot for when the 460s initially replaced the 462 MEL at the very end of the 1967 Lincoln Continental production run since 1.25" is the converter pilot diameter of the 462 MEL trans.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  manofmerc September 26th 2019, 8:07 am

You know I love these old fords and mercurys .But sometimes I wonder why ford couldn't have kept things the same .I had this same issue come up when I was in my early 20s I had bought a used convertor from a guy .Well not only was the convertor pilot wrong .The convertor was fried .I had it rebuilt and the correct front plate installed .Good information and really good to know scat has both sizes .My convertor has the big pilot and I am thinking of building a pump gas stroker for my comet drag car .This weekend I am going to Cottonwood ala. They have a pretty cool nostalgia race and I just hope the weather will be as cool as the old cars .Doug afro

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark O'Neal September 26th 2019, 9:38 pm

Ford could be worse.

Imagine if they had a small block called and called it an "LT1"...and it was forty different engines.

Mark O'Neal

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround June 23rd 2023, 8:26 am

Reviving an old thread. Is one pilot hole size preferrable in a racing application? I seem to remember the small pilot converter being a bit more of a challenge to remove when I ran an auto in my pulling truck.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Do the cast scat crankshfts come with the small and big pilot holes  Empty I should have mentioned this

Post  manofmerc June 24th 2023, 4:56 am

I did get this scat crankshaft it is 4.150 stroke and forged not cast .It does have both holes for the convertor BUT you need to check the depth for the big hole .I got my silly putty that I check valve clearances with and placed it in the hole I installed my flexplate and bolted the convertor to the flexplate .I removed the convertor and silly putty.Well my silly putty was paper thin from contact with the convertor snout about .005 thin.Scat didnt think it was an issue my machinist didnt either .But I Did .I had ATI build me another convertor with the small snout .I gave them a bunch of measurements and they delivered .They set it up with 1/8" for the depth and all is good .I wasnt running my drag car with just .005 clearance convertor to crankshaft clearance .When everything is aftermarket you better check everything .My 460 crank had both pilot holes and a clearance depth of .060.Go figure Doug afro

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust June 25th 2023, 3:21 am

I have always used the 1.375" converters with Scat cranks and converters made to suit

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum