BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

moisture accumulation under valve covers?

5 posters

Go down

moisture accumulation under valve covers? Empty moisture accumulation under valve covers?

Post  63boxtop December 26th 2009, 4:40 pm

is this normal, i was switching baffles for the evac system i'm installing and had some accumulation on the back side of the valve covers and a little on my stud girdle, i'm running the FRPP valve covers and its about 40 degrees in my garage and the motor hasn't been lit off in about a month

thanks
rick

63boxtop

Back to top Go down

moisture accumulation under valve covers? Empty Re: moisture accumulation under valve covers?

Post  Lem Evans December 26th 2009, 9:33 pm

Condensation...i.m.o.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

moisture accumulation under valve covers? Empty Rainman!

Post  LivermoreDave December 26th 2009, 9:33 pm

rick, the moisture you have noticed is normal when temperatures are not controlled and the change in temperature and humidity are in Mother Nature's control. Moisture will also present itself when an engine is ran for a short period of time that doesn't allow engine temperatures to reach a point that will remove the moisture. Moisture will show it's ugly face when mechanical woes flex their muscle and allow coolant to snake it's way into the stomach of the engine!

Now I'm going to take a guess at your new found discovery and say it's simply the weather controlling the environment which your engine resides along with that last run of the engine not running long enough to dissipate the moisture or just long enough to create the moisture!

Just my $0.02.
Happy Motoring.
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

moisture accumulation under valve covers? Empty Re: moisture accumulation under valve covers?

Post  63boxtop December 26th 2009, 9:43 pm

thanks guys, i think i put it in shock, from the 80's of florida to the 10's of new mexico Mad

rick

63boxtop

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf December 26th 2009, 9:57 pm

LivermoreDave wrote:Moisture will also present itself when an engine is ran for a short period of time that doesn't allow engine temperatures to reach a point that will remove the moisture.
Dave.

This is the main reason a lot of people advise not to start your collector car every week/month during it's storage period (ie winter). It is best to change the oil to remove the bad stuff then just let it sit.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon December 27th 2009, 12:36 am

LivermoreDave wrote:rick, the moisture you have noticed is normal when temperatures are not controlled and the change in temperature and humidity are in Mother Nature's control. Moisture will also present itself when an engine is ran for a short period of time that doesn't allow engine temperatures to reach a point that will remove the moisture. Moisture will show it's ugly face when mechanical woes flex their muscle and allow coolant to snake it's way into the stomach of the engine!

Now I'm going to take a guess at your new found discovery and say it's simply the weather controlling the environment which your engine resides along with that last run of the engine not running long enough to dissipate the moisture or just long enough to create the moisture!

Just my $0.02.
Happy Motoring.
Dave.

X2

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  63boxtop December 27th 2009, 12:41 am

probably right the last time it ran it was just long enough to pull it off the trailer and park it

rick

63boxtop

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down