BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATK CRATE MOTORS - WHATS THE STORY?

4 posters

Go down

ATK CRATE MOTORS - WHATS THE STORY? Empty ATK CRATE MOTORS - WHATS THE STORY?

Post  Wayne Pearce September 11th 2020, 9:45 am

Hey, guys:
I'm in need of a 460 crate motor / or short block for my Model A Coupe. I keep seeing ads for ATK, and reviews seem to be mixed, ranging from horrible products, horrible customer service, all the way to couldn't be happier. So whats everybody's experience, and feelings about them? Can anybody recommend a supplier of good 460 crate motors, or short blocks, other than ATK? Doesn't have to be anything other than an ordinary 460 engine.

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

ATK CRATE MOTORS - WHATS THE STORY? Empty Re: ATK CRATE MOTORS - WHATS THE STORY?

Post  gt350hr September 11th 2020, 11:59 am

AER built the 521s for Ford and have a good reputation. ATK is like you say , hit and miss. Most out here in the west avoid them. Same for Jasper.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

ATK CRATE MOTORS - WHATS THE STORY? Empty Re: ATK CRATE MOTORS - WHATS THE STORY?

Post  snuff98 September 11th 2020, 1:29 pm

Can't speak for atk but I have been installing jasper products of all sorts for over a decade. I will not use any other re-builder other than jasper unless they don't offer what I am looking for. I toured their plant a few years ago in Jasper Indiana and was impressed. They also use Ford 460 engines in the old plant to produce much of the electricity and the hot water for parts washers and to heat the building. They had row upon row of bbf engines turning generators and heating water with exhaust. They probably know how to build a bbf by now!

snuff98

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane September 13th 2020, 12:00 pm

I’m curious: why a production company item instead of an engine hand-built to order? There are plenty of reputable 385 Series engine builders right here, the majority of which could build to your specific needs and application, and likely all of whom know this engine design better than those at the place referenced.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

rbro460 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Pearce September 13th 2020, 1:48 pm

Hi, Paul:

I'm sure there's plenty of talent for building a good 385 series motor on this forum, but I always felt they were the types one would connect with to build a "specialty motor" for the various types of motor sports, and not a "plain vanilla" 460, with stock components. I'm not trying to ignore the talent available here, rather I thought the talent here would ignore me. If someone on this forum wants to work with me - great, but again I'm just looking for a good, fresh 460 motor for my Model A street rod.

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane September 13th 2020, 2:39 pm

Ha, I do see your point--I often get calls from prospects who say they "just want a stock/mild engine and everyone's trying to sell me a 750 HP monster."  We will usually take the mild build jobs too.  Message me your number if interested and I'll call this week, then quote you a price shipping included, no pressure.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Pearce September 13th 2020, 3:35 pm

Thanks, Paul:

My number is 518 584-5045. I don't know where we will be on price, but you'll never know if you don't ask. Like I said previously, I just want a good stock 460 motor. My current engine engine is in pretty sad shape, but the heads, and intake are new are new. The block is an internal balance D1VE.

Wayne

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down