BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uh oh,.... look what I found in my oil

+6
342g
bbf-falcon
Bret Powell
sixtynineford
Nevs
Copperhead
10 posters

Go down

Uh oh,.... look what I found in my oil Empty Uh oh,.... look what I found in my oil

Post  Copperhead December 27th 2009, 9:43 pm

As I was draining the oil today, look what I found sticking to my magnetic drain plug.

Uh oh,.... look what I found in my oil IMG_0171

These apear to be the needles from a roller bearing,....maybe?

I also cut my Jomar filter apart and found traces of metal in the media cloth.

I was planning on pulling the engine out this winter to replace a leaking pan gasket,..... but now it looks like I'm in for a lot more. Mad

Last edited by Copperhead on December 27th 2009, 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Uh oh,.... look what I found in my oil Empty Re: Uh oh,.... look what I found in my oil

Post  Nevs December 27th 2009, 9:45 pm

That's never a good sign... Sad Hope it's not too much damage.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Uh oh,.... look what I found in my oil Empty Re: Uh oh,.... look what I found in my oil

Post  sixtynineford December 27th 2009, 9:46 pm

looks like rocker arm bearings to me....

sixtynineford

Back to top Go down

Post  Bret Powell December 27th 2009, 10:22 pm

It's either rocker bearings or torrington thrust roller bearings from the timers if you have them.

Might not be too serious.

Bret

Bret Powell

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon December 28th 2009, 12:09 am

Crying or Very sad Hate it when that happens Evil or Very Mad

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  342g December 28th 2009, 12:22 am

Rollers from lifter.
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  paulie December 28th 2009, 12:40 am

ouch, I hope you cought in time and it isn't too serious.

paulie

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans December 28th 2009, 1:08 am

They are needles from either your roller rocker arms, or your roller lifters, or from a Torrington thrust bearing behind your cam gear, like what Bret said.

So, drop your oil pump and disassemble it. Look for any signs of the needles going through your oil pump. If there are no signs, then you can safely assume that none of them have passed through the engine, and therefore your bearings are probably okay, and you should not have to take apart your shortblock. Inspect all your rocker arms, roller lifters, and Torrington thrust bearings and determine where the needles came from and replace the parts as necessary.

Hope this helps,
Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 December 29th 2009, 11:42 pm

I found the same thing in my 513 CJ engine. I had an old set of Crane Gold rockers and the bearing race (I guess) on the side of the rocker actually had a section of it broken out. As the engine ran the needle bearings would walk out the side of the rocker. Those misc. pieces look like the sides of the bearing races to me. Could also have been the thrust bearing but I haven't seen one of those break, not that it couldn't. I would suggest giving the rocker arms a very close inspection. I don't believe roller lifters would give up like that and not have more damage done than what you have found.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 December 30th 2009, 1:27 am

since you found them in the oil pan,your probaly ok, the dont look beat up,or like they were ran thru the mill? right? just take off all the rockers and start there

-rich
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down