BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cam gear mount

3 posters

Go down

Cam gear mount Empty Cam gear mount

Post  RayDav November 27th 2020, 7:57 pm

I did a search, did not find anything recent or that dealt with my complete issue.

The engine I am working at the moment I bought as a block, heads and rotating assembly.  It was advertised as a 532, so I assume that means 4.5 inch crank.  I don't know whose crank it is.

The first thing I noticed was a 0.005 step where the crank gear mounts.  From what I read that it typical for after market cranks, true?  Does the crank vendor really expect me to force the crank gear on.  All the posts I have read said hone the gear to slide fit.

This is not a replacement for another 460 - it is replacing a 425 Toranado in a 63 F100.  So I don't have a camshaft thrust plate.  The cam is a hydraulic roller from Howard.  Stock plate or torrington, and if so from who???

Then there is the other side of the thrust plate.  I have decided to try a gear set  My first three engines were gear drive - flat heads, and my two diesels are gear drive.

I have gear sets from two vendors.  Both cam gears have bronze thrust bushings about a quarter inch thick.  On one gear the bushing is a slip fit.  On the other it is tight.  Slip, tight, torrington???

I have another project I have been working for a couple years.  That engine is an Eliminator Ultra at 604.  The front is closed, but I did it so long ago I don't remember what is behind the timing cover.  It may just be part of my mock up to mount accessories.  The cam is a Comp  hydraulic roller, roller bearing.  Would anything on this engine differ from the engine above.

Both are to be low RPM tow vehicles.

TY

RayDav

Back to top Go down

Cam gear mount Empty Re: Cam gear mount

Post  rmcomprandy November 28th 2020, 12:20 pm

RayDav wrote:I did a search, did not find anything recent or that dealt with my complete issue.

The engine I am working at the moment I bought as a block, heads and rotating assembly.  It was advertised as a 532, so I assume that means 4.5 inch crank.  I don't know whose crank it is.

The first thing I noticed was a 0.005 step where the crank gear mounts.  From what I read that it typical for after market cranks, true?  Does the crank vendor really expect me to force the crank gear on.  All the posts I have read said hone the gear to slide fit.

This is not a replacement for another 460 - it is replacing a 425 Toranado in a 63 F100.  So I don't have a camshaft thrust plate.  The cam is a hydraulic roller from Howard.  Stock plate or torrington, and if so from who???

Then there is the other side of the thrust plate.  I have decided to try a gear set  My first three engines were gear drive - flat heads, and my two diesels are gear drive.

I have gear sets from two vendors.  Both cam gears have bronze thrust bushings about a quarter inch thick.  On one gear the bushing is a slip fit.  On the other it is tight.  Slip, tight, torrington???

I have another project I have been working for a couple years.  That engine is an Eliminator Ultra at 604.  The front is closed, but I did it so long ago I don't remember what is behind the timing cover.  It may just be part of my mock up to mount accessories.  The cam is a Comp  hydraulic roller, roller bearing.  Would anything on this engine differ from the engine above.

Both are to be low RPM tow vehicles.

TY

A normal 532 has a 4.3" stroke and yes the timing gear is NOT supposed to be "slip-fit"; just a couple "tenths" press or "on size".

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RayDav December 9th 2020, 2:26 pm

rmcomprandy wrote: and yes the timing gear is NOT supposed to be "slip-fit"; just a couple "tenths" press or "on size".

I have a stock 460 on the floor.  The crank gear slides on easily.  The step on the 532 crank is about 0.004 larger than the stock - I don't do well measuring "tenths".  Stock is slip and aftermarket is press???  0.004 seems like a lot to press, and remove?

Others have said it is common to hone-to-fit.

Suggestions?

RayDav

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss December 12th 2020, 5:48 pm

.004 is a ton on a journal that size... way to tight to press on or off.
unfortunately you will need to either hone the sprocket or have the crank ground/polished to fit...

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  RayDav December 12th 2020, 7:28 pm

I don't build a engine that often, but I currently have four where I installed the cam drive. I don't recall ever having to press the gears on or off. They have typically been on and off and back on during a build. and were always put on and off without any tools. But others have said they encountered aftermarket cranks that were larger than stock.

I can do a decent job making a hole a bit larger. Making the crank smaller in out of scope. I honed-to-fit both gears. So we shall see.

RayDav

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down