BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comparison between a victor intake and afrs

3 posters

Go down

Comparison between a victor intake and afrs  Empty Comparison between a victor intake and afrs

Post  manofmerc July 30th 2021, 2:05 pm

You know I posted a few months back about using a victor intake on my AFR headed 460 engine .Most online builders seem to think you cant improve on the victor .I have read very little on the AFR intake when I do it isn't good .I measured both and the AFR intakes plenum depth is 1/8" deeper than the victor .The AFR intake has these vanes that go right under the carb.They are probably 3/16" thick and long right under the carb. The victor has no such vanes .What do these vanes do?straighten out the air fuel mixture? Just guessing I know nothing about how an intake really works but with all this aluminum in the plenum the afr intake would have to have less plenum volume than the victor .You know I am still perplexed my drag car picked up one tenth going from a set of edelbrock cj heads to the afr 280 heads .It just tells me those edelbrock heads weren't so bad after all and the afrs aren't so great . Just curious what others know about these vanes my intake is for a 4150 carb. I don't know about the dominator version .Doug afro

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Comparison between a victor intake and afrs  Empty Re: Comparison between a victor intake and afrs

Post  rmcomprandy July 31st 2021, 12:34 am

manofmerc wrote:You know I posted a few months back about  using a victor intake on my AFR headed 460 engine .Most online builders seem to think you cant improve on the victor .I have read very little on the AFR intake when I do it isn't good .I measured both and the AFR intakes plenum depth is 1/8" deeper than the victor .The AFR intake has these vanes that go right under the carb.They are probably 3/16" thick and long right under the carb. The victor has no such vanes .What do these vanes do?straighten out the air fuel mixture? Just guessing I know nothing about how an intake really works but with all this aluminum in the plenum the afr intake would have to have less plenum volume than the victor .You know I am still perplexed my drag car picked up one tenth going from a set of edelbrock cj heads to the afr 280 heads .It just tells me those edelbrock heads weren't so bad after all and the afrs aren't so great . Just curious what others know about these vanes my intake is for a 4150 carb. I don't know about the dominator version .Doug afro

Essentially ... they make that port act longer and somewhat the plenum act smaller.

If you're going quick to begin with ... a consistent tenth is a whole bunch.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Comparison between a victor intake and afrs  Empty Re: Comparison between a victor intake and afrs

Post  manofmerc July 31st 2021, 10:11 am

You are probably right about being reasonably quick my 3440 pound car went 6.90s in the heat and 6.80s with the afrs in the same heat .Maybe I expected to much from a head swap .And with the smaller intake volume smaller intake plenum with these vanes that you say make the intake runners longer it picked my 60 ft. up one tenth .In reality my c-6 is probably killing my et more so than I realize .I just am not ready to swap it for another transmission that is why I focus on my engine .It is easier for me .Thanks for your response .Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Comparison between a victor intake and afrs  Empty Victor runner length

Post  ED468 August 6th 2021, 10:05 pm

The runner Length on a stock victor is about perfect to help the other cylinders. My bigblock chevy friend/head porter measured them and was very impressed and said we have a better Intake setup then Chevy.

ED468

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 6th 2021, 11:22 pm

ED468 wrote:The runner Length on a stock victor is about perfect to help the other cylinders. My bigblock chevy friend/head porter measured them and was very impressed and said we have a better Intake setup then Chevy.

Your friend must be simply being nice ... the Ford center runners are a LOT shorter than the end runners; The Chevy manifold runners are closer the the same length.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  manofmerc August 7th 2021, 6:48 am

Regardless of the intake differences .Maybe I just expected to much from these afr heads and intake .But Like randy said a solid tenth is a lot I just expected at least two tenths .And it was ALL in the 60 ft. so the longer runners with their vanes and the smaller intake volume (280 vs,310 for my edelbrocks) did exactly what it should have done .I am curious about how a port match would work out the runners are probably .090 smaller all over the intakes ports .My old hemi super stock buddy says to leave them alone but any old gear head would be curious if a port match would help out .For now I intend to leave it alone .Thanks all! Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Comparison between a victor intake and afrs  Empty Pressure waves

Post  ED468 August 8th 2021, 2:26 am

I just know he been going to Darrin Morgans classes for yrs. He's talking about pressure waves. We measured the length and opening and exit cross section as well as CCs with flow numbers. , Looked to him that they where about perfect to help ram the pressure from one cylinder to another after he did alot of calculations. I know there is different tuning methods and timing associated with them. Yes the different runner lengths do have their down falls, but was glad to here it has something good in the mix. He uses PIPeMax and is all about proper Airspeeds with his porting. I know nothing about the wave tuning on a Chevy intake, maybe their properly timed as well.

ED468

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down