BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bought a set of main cap straps - techniques for setup?

+16
72mav
bbf-falcon
RapidRuss
56Tbird
Nevs
rmcomprandy
Wayne Pearce
DGS
OldRedFord
the Coug
95lightiningguy
Lem Evans
IDT-572
chuck stevens
Greg_P
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bought a set of main cap straps - techniques for setup? - Page 2 Empty Re: Bought a set of main cap straps - techniques for setup?

Post  IDT-572 January 1st 2010, 6:31 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:The photos earlier in this thread are exactly what is to be done IF straps are to be used. The ensuing laminated package makes resistance to cap bending and cracking much greater.
Alloy studs if torqued correctly will have greater clamping force than bolts.

As stated elsewhere, the block itself, at the main webbing, will now become the weak link.

Dowels will keep the caps from walking however, will NOT stop fretting from bouncing due to excessive instantanius pressure as occures with detonation or ill tuned nitrous.

Thank you Randy............... x2
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Bought a set of main cap straps - techniques for setup? - Page 2 Empty Re: Bought a set of main cap straps - techniques for setup?

Post  Nevs January 1st 2010, 6:38 pm

138 wrote:greg is in a 4 bolt funk...LOL if milling the caps is out how you gonna use these? I'm just gonna machine the caps, run the straps, and hope for the best until like you an A460 comes when time, moneys, and necessity (850-1000hp) warrants it. on a side not do you think these will have clearance issues with a windage tray? Mine are .626 thick. .300 being removed from the caps and i think the studs are actually longer as well. [img]Bought a set of main cap straps - techniques for setup? - Page 2 100_0110[/img]

X2.This is the way we did mine back in the day. Held 950 hp with very little cap walk. Eliminating detonation is the secret to eliminating cap walk. It's all about the tune.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird January 1st 2010, 6:41 pm

If Blake and Randy say it's so, I'd recommend you guys listen. These guys are top notch guys with a ton of knowledge and experience. I feel previledged to know these guys !! king you guys watch the outcome of the Snkaejelly powered Tweetybird this spring and you'll see what I'm talkin about bounce king
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P January 2nd 2010, 8:27 pm

Got the straps in the mail today. Man they are beefy. I measured .875" thick, and 1.00" wide, with .125" registers on each side.

They sure do look strong, but I also know that looks aren't everything.

Bought a set of main cap straps - techniques for setup? - Page 2 100_3771
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  138 January 2nd 2010, 10:42 pm

nm...

Back to top Go down

Post  RapidRuss January 7th 2010, 1:30 pm

Lem Evans wrote:1] Do whatever you want to do .
2] I Can't remember offering an opinion about washers .
3] I did not say to not mill the caps...only to do them less than .300" i.m.o.
4] If you want to buy time...run what you got..i.m.o.
5] My name is Lem not Charlie .
6] Are you having a bad day or what ?
7] How do you know how high I roll and what does it matter .
8] I like sliced bread .

Now thats some Funny shit right there !! LMFAO !! Cool
RapidRuss
RapidRuss

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 7th 2010, 1:38 pm

For you guy's that haven't met Lem in person. You are missing out. He a barrel of laugh's and alot of fun. BUT, he'll tell ya straight up. He's Cool

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav January 8th 2010, 4:57 pm

Greg,
Get with Paul Kane.
Not too long ago he told me of some reasonable 4-bolt caps he was buying off E-Pay, beleive it or not.
They were VERY cheap.
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno April 30th 2010, 1:47 pm

Arrow

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore April 30th 2010, 1:56 pm

Has anyone tried these straps using a 4140 prehard or a low RC tool steel???

Regards: Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  63boxtop May 1st 2010, 6:27 pm

I say suck up the 2k and buy a A460 block from Lem like i did, once you 4 bolt and oiling mods if not already done you'll have close to that in a block anyway, or just run what you have for another year

rick

63boxtop

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 May 1st 2010, 6:55 pm

I think Damon's deal cracked a cyl, honestly at these levels we're getting to an aftermarket block is a must unless your willing to roll the dice. The oiling system alone is worth something.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2