BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Future build round table

+2
gt350hr
curiousgeorge
6 posters

Go down

Future build round table Empty Future build round table

Post  curiousgeorge December 6th 2021, 11:42 pm

I’m trying to put together a plan in my head for a future build and could use some suggestions. It will be going in a street car for cruising and just a good ol hot rod. I plan on running non ethonal 91 and have a bunch of parts laying around for this build.

I will be running the old A429 aluminum heads, either an offenhouser single plane or a motorsports victor if I can get it under the hood. I have a Comp extreme enegry 240/246 .584/.588 hyd flat cam.

I have 2 options for the lower end.
Option 1. Stock 429 (c9) with dish pistons. Completely stock.

Option 2. I have 2 .060 over blocks with factory 460 crank and eagle H-beams. I would have to buy new pistons for this option and right now it looks like flat tops are the easiest option. But if my figures are right this will give a static Comp of 11:1. If I put the numbers in right it will give a dynamic of 8.5:1.

I would prefer option 2 but want to run pump gas.

I have another cam that I would have to dig out to see what it is but I’m pretty sure it’s smaller than the one I listed.

Any opinions or suggestions are welcome.

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Future build round table Empty Re: Future build round table

Post  gt350hr December 7th 2021, 1:02 pm

If you have to buy pistons , buy a 4.300 stroke crank as well to use with the Eagle rods and make it a 527 . You will be happy you did.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 7th 2021, 5:59 pm

gt350hr wrote:  If you have to buy pistons , buy a 4.300 stroke crank as well  to use with the Eagle rods and make it a 527 . You will be happy you did.

Those cranks aren’t easy to come by.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  curiousgeorge December 7th 2021, 7:16 pm

dfree383 wrote:
gt350hr wrote:  If you have to buy pistons , buy a 4.300 stroke crank as well  to use with the Eagle rods and make it a 527 . You will be happy you did.

And that would more than double the cost of the build. Pistons and gaskets should be about all I would be buying and spending the rest of my money getting the motor into the car. Everything else is there. My biggest concern is if the 60 motor with flat tops is going to run on 91. I have another cam that I have to dig out to see what it is.

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Future build round table Empty Dish

Post  manofmerc December 8th 2021, 6:06 am

you could always have a slight dish milled in your pistons

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 8th 2021, 7:25 am

Call Adney Brown or Randy Malik and see what budget stroker kits they might be able to get.

The factory rod journal 4.300 stuff is expensive and hard to find nowdays.

But a 2.200 cast crank is reasonable, with 6.800 I beams and a mid grade forged piston it may not be to far out of site and definitely worth the $$$ spent, since you have to buy pistons anyway. And the 4.500 stuff is the same $$ too.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De December 10th 2021, 10:58 pm

I agree with others here.
A few things... old factory rods are not reliable and if new pistons are required why not go to a stroker kit. You dont need a forged crank so stay with a kit that uses a nodular piece. There are kits with 28 to 32cc dish that should put it at around 10.5 compression. This will work great with that cam that you already have. This will be very reliable and make power over a 3.85" stroke package.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy December 12th 2021, 12:06 am

dfree383 wrote:

The FORD rod journal 4.300" stroke cranks are not easy to find but, the 2.200" rod journal 4.300" crankshafts are plentiful.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  curiousgeorge December 12th 2021, 10:01 pm

So after doing some checking yesterday when I was at the shop it looks like both of the .060 blocks I have would need at least a good hone. They are starting to show surface rust. They were both out of a pulling truck that was running way too little valve clearance and ended up dropping a valve. (I can't remember but the second one may have just bent a valve, it was my brothers truck and it's been 10+yrs ago now.) I have the motor out of my pulling truck but was planning on selling the short block to fund the other build. The 429 I was talking about is together with a set of D3 heads that have had some work (unsure of how much) done to them. They are at least stud mount rockers now. I think I will just set it in there and get everything running and lined out with it while I work on another motor. But this leads to more questions.

The block I have out of my puller is a factory block with a 4.5" bore (all 8 sleeves) and it also has roller bearings in place of traditional cam bearings. Has been filled but is not even up to the bottom of the water pump holes. I'm assuming this would be better to be sold as a short block and build a different block vs. trying to use this block on the street.

The 2 hyd flat cams are a 292H and a 305H(currently sitting in the 429) I was wrong before. I think I will be better off to use the 429 as it sits and save for the bigger build later.

Another question that came to mind. I have a 1190 Demon carb, could this carb be jetted down and tuned to not over fuel a 520+ pump gas build. I have another small Holley carb (not positive what it is yet as I haven't pulled it out and looked) that I would run on the 429 for now.

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 14th 2021, 6:41 pm

Most blocks will handle a .080 over bore and rings and pistons are readily available in those sizes
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down