BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Valve Cover Studs

3 posters

Go down

Valve Cover Studs Empty Valve Cover Studs

Post  Trap20 December 26th 2021, 8:42 pm

Needing some advice on what to do. I have a 460 with D0VE-C heads.  I was replacing my valve cover gaskets today and had a couple of the studs come out of the head.  While replacing the one that's above the #5 intake port the stud sort of tighten a little and then went free and continue on.  It seemed to go to deep so I removed it.  I took a augh and inserted it and determined that it had pass into the intake port.  

My questions are should I be concerned about this or does this occur with these heads and should I try using a borescope to see if anything is laying in the port?  

I hate the thought of pulling the intake but if needed I will.

Trap20

Back to top Go down

Valve Cover Studs Empty Re: Valve Cover Studs

Post  rmcomprandy December 26th 2021, 11:27 pm

Trap20 wrote:Needing some advice on what to do. I have a 460 with D0VE-C heads.  I was replacing my valve cover gaskets today and had a couple of the studs come out of the head.  While replacing the one that's above the #5 intake port the stud sort of tighten a little and then went free and continue on.  It seemed to go to deep so I removed it.  I took a augh and inserted it and determined that it had pass into the intake port.  

My questions are should I be concerned about this or does this occur with these heads and should I try using a borescope to see if anything is laying in the port?  

Use studs in the upper corners which have each end of that stud with a different thread pitch with a small land between them.
Bolts in the rest of the places.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Trap20 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust December 27th 2021, 5:09 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
Trap20 wrote:Needing some advice on what to do. I have a 460 with D0VE-C heads.  I was replacing my valve cover gaskets today and had a couple of the studs come out of the head.  While replacing the one that's above the #5 intake port the stud sort of tighten a little and then went free and continue on.  It seemed to go to deep so I removed it.  I took a augh and inserted it and determined that it had pass into the intake port.  

Use studs in the upper corners which have each end of that stud with a different thread pitch with a small land between them.
Bolts in the rest of the places.

I originally had studs that were same thread. I read on here someone had this exact issue that the stud went right through.
I swapped all mine over to studs with 1/4UNC into the head and 1/4 UNF threads for the covers

Gregaust

QtrWarrior likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down