BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adapting a 429 manifold to SCJ style heads.

+4
jasonf
dfree383
BBFTorino
Jaybob
8 posters

Go down

Adapting a 429 manifold to SCJ style heads. Empty Adapting a 429 manifold to SCJ style heads.

Post  Jaybob January 5th 2022, 11:22 am

Been away for a long time.
Did a quick search (maybe not querying accurately) not finding what I'm looking for if already addressed.

I'm looking for info that defines how to adapt a std 429 style aftermarket intake to SCJ style aftermarket heads.
Manifold is Speedmaster Ford 429 460 Big Block Open Aluminum Intake Manifold Satin - MPN: PCE147.1124 / UPC: 840136508496 (fits BBF 429 460 Stock/OEM standard deck)
Making my own blower adapter plate
Blower is an 8V71
Heads I'm considering - Kaase SR-71 (Compatible with Super Cobra Jet intake manifolds)

It seems to me that someone would have sorted this at some point.  Manifold to Head spacers? China Rail Spacers? Who makes these if available?
Any help is appreciated.

FYI - I have no current plans to use/adapt an aftermarket inline blower style manifold for this project.

Thanks!

I should have added that I know the port hight is taller on SCJ by ~.400" and since this is a blown application, I was planning to "match" ports through the spacers.
However, if anyone cares to enlighten me that going from smaller to larger ports in a blown app is a bad idea, I'm all ears...

Jaybob

Back to top Go down

Adapting a 429 manifold to SCJ style heads. Empty Re: Adapting a 429 manifold to SCJ style heads.

Post  BBFTorino January 5th 2022, 10:48 pm

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but you will doing much more work / modifications to make it work.
The intake will bolt on without spacers, but the port mismatch is significant, and you may have to add more aluminum to the top of the ports on the manifold, (by way of welding it up) and then resurface the sealing face.
And being that the intake is a Speedmaster (China), it is very likely that the bolt holes will not line up with the heads properly, or the ports themselves for that matter.

It's better to just bite the bullet, and purchase the correct blower intake manifold. Just sayin!!

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Adapting a 429 manifold to SCJ style heads. Empty Re: Adapting a 429 manifold to SCJ style heads.

Post  Jaybob January 6th 2022, 8:43 am

BBFTorino wrote:I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but you will doing much more work / modifications to make it work.
The intake will bolt on without spacers, but the port mismatch is significant, and you may have to add more aluminum to the top of the ports on the manifold, (by way of welding it up) and then resurface the sealing face.
And being that the intake is a Speedmaster (China), it is very likely that the bolt holes will not line up with the heads properly, or the  ports themselves for that matter.

It's better to just bite the bullet, and purchase the correct blower intake manifold. Just sayin!!

Thanks for the info. I had thought using spacers would allow me to "merge" the ports through the spacers.
You are right, the other issues are not worth the trouble.
However, I cannot find a "correct" blower manifold for a BBF & an 8V71.
If you have a source, please let me know.
Thanks

Jaybob

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 6th 2022, 9:55 am

Call up Dyer Blower Service or Any of the other reputable companies that sell blower kits, they offer manifolds.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Jaybob likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf January 11th 2022, 8:48 pm

I think the 8v71 bolt pattern different then the regular 871 but they make adapters? Alky Digger has a PC intake and adapter for a regular 871. I don't recall the number to see the port sizes but you could give them a shout and ask. FWIW, it costs almost the same as just buying a BDS intake.

Regarding you original question just run it the way it is or port match it if there is enough meat there
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Jaybob likes this post

Back to top Go down

Adapting a 429 manifold to SCJ style heads. Empty Speedmaster of none

Post  4 post January 21st 2022, 12:56 am

Just wanted to add some news concerning the Speedmaster intake you mentioned. I had originally ordered one and it came to my shop completely unuseable. I took all the dimensions that I needed from it and photographed it's flaws fairly thoroughly with gaskets in place. The ports were not just bad or misshapen, they went completely beyond the gasket in places! This still baffles me, but at least the boltholes were in the right places...

Photos are available if anyone wants to check out this brutality. Tried to post two of them here, but they must have been too embarrassed to show themselves.

Last edited by 4 post on January 21st 2022, 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : No photos)

4 post

dfree383 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 21st 2022, 11:18 am

Procomp speedmaster strikes again
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

68galaxie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  t120r January 1st 2023, 9:09 pm

An 8v71 bolts very nicely to a Weiand tunnel ram base. You just need an adapter plate. I'm in the process of making 3 right now.

t120r

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaybob January 2nd 2023, 5:03 pm

t120r wrote:An 8v71 bolts very nicely to a Weiand tunnel ram base. You just need an adapter plate.  I'm in the process of making 3 right now.

Update:
Heads are AFR 280 Bullitt.  These have stock port location/size.  I am still waiting on them to arrive for a test fit to the Speedmaster manifold I have.
However, I'm intrigued about your 8V71 to Weiland TR base adapter plate.  Pics? What thickness will your plate finish at?  Are you selling these? If so, price?

Jaybob

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 January 2nd 2023, 5:59 pm

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tunnel-ram-based-blower-intakes.380152/

Been around since they came off diesels.

You can scroll the link and click the pics for some good views of them.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Adapting a 429 manifold to SCJ style heads. Empty afr heads

Post  hbstang January 9th 2023, 2:01 pm

now that you have the afr heads,they have a completely differnt port than the cobrajet heads,so you will end up with a custom sheetmetal blower intake.i dont know if anyone makes a blower intake for the afr heads.

this is what you could have used,but with the afr heads no way!

https://www.blowerdriveservice.com/BM-5056-429-460-FORD-UNPOLISHED-BDS-INTAKE-SATIN_p_273.html

https://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Products/OUT_OF_STOCK_429-460_BBF_Ford_Blower_Manifold--1100-0035

these are not stock port size or location! they are designed for thier intake.and rated for towing up to 477 ci.why would you try to use these?

https://www.airflowresearch.com/280cc-bbf-cylinder-head/

you also need custom pistons for these as well!
hbstang
hbstang

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaybob January 9th 2023, 7:06 pm

hbstang wrote:now that you have the afr heads,they have a completely differnt port than the cobrajet heads,so you will end up with a custom sheetmetal blower intake.i dont know if anyone makes a blower intake for the afr heads.

this is what you could have used,but with the afr heads no way!

https://www.blowerdriveservice.com/BM-5056-429-460-FORD-UNPOLISHED-BDS-INTAKE-SATIN_p_273.html

https://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Products/OUT_OF_STOCK_429-460_BBF_Ford_Blower_Manifold--1100-0035

these are not stock port size or location! they are designed for thier intake.and rated for towing up to 477 ci.why would you try to use these?

https://www.airflowresearch.com/280cc-bbf-cylinder-head/

you also need custom pistons for these as well!

So, your post had me a bit concerned as my info and yours doesn't jive.
First, I am not interested in adapting an "inline" blower (8-71) manifold by adding a plate so I can mount an 8V-71 blower.  Typical "inline" manifolds are quite expensive to start.
I started to consider the Weiand/adapter plate combo, but may turn out to be too tall for my project.
After changing to the AFR heads, I purchased the Speedmaster manifold in the hopes that I can keep it low.  All previous indications suggest the Speedmaster will be fine unless the casting is poor, (and that is a crap-shoot as I understand).  Not sure why you think a custom sheetmetal intake is my only option.
To clear up a couple things, my pistons are custom Diamond dished.  They just need valve relief fly-cuts.

As for the AFR heads, you are mistaken.  I worked with Scotty (Jay) Johnson at Parkland Performance to spec/tweak and order these.  The AFR 280 Bullitt heads were his suggestion.  You can take it up with him if you like.  He's also supplying other components, including a custom ground cam for my set-up.
That said, I looked back at AFR's website and it still says that the port locations are STOCK.  The port width is approx. 0.015" wider and 0.010" taller than stock.  So, basically STOCK.  To confirm, I also called AFR today.  Per AFR, the 280 Bullitt heads are basically the same (from the standpoint of the port size & location) as the C8VE, C9VE, & D0VE "wedge" heads.  AFR also said that ANY aftermarket manifold that matches those FORD stock heads will bolt up and match to the AFR 280 Bullitt heads.  One does not have to use an AFR manifold.

In the future, please make sure that the info you provide to folks is accurate.
-Jay

Jaybob

Back to top Go down

Adapting a 429 manifold to SCJ style heads. Empty afr heads

Post  hbstang January 9th 2023, 7:13 pm

i only went by the websites picture which shows a rectangular port.is the 280 cnc ported?and as far as the 280 head,it states its a towing and street strip head,for a 477 ci.if your are building a blower motor with those heads dont be surprised when it runs like a turd!
your initial post said you were going to run sr-71 heads.what happen to that? from there website
and do you need an 8-71 on this.good luck on this.be sure to post your dyno numbers!

Our 280cc feature partially CNC ported intake, exhaust & chambers, A356 aluminum castings and high quality components throughout with standard exhaust port locations. Recommended for street, towing, or street/strip engines with displacements up to 477 cubic inches, operating up to 6200 RPM. Please note, due to AFR's valve angle and location, custom pistons or notching existing pistons will be required. AFR heads are available bare (without parts), call our tech line for details. Please see footnotes for additional information.
hbstang
hbstang

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 January 9th 2023, 8:49 pm

Post #11.

https://www.460ford.com/threads/afr-headed-intake-alighment.240722/

Hopefully SpeedMaster put the holes in the right places.

383/255 cfm is nothing to sneeze at. Not as much as the SR-71's but they can still make plenty of power.

Apples and oranges but, 390/280 cfm at .800" lift made 860HP. The AFR's are spec'ed at .600" lift.

https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002/03/monster/index2.php

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Adapting a 429 manifold to SCJ style heads. Empty combo

Post  hbstang January 9th 2023, 9:14 pm

well i wish him all the luck with this,and maybe scotty j can make it work.
hbstang
hbstang

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 January 9th 2023, 9:53 pm

I do to. Every picture I have seen of the SpeedMaster intakes they look to be CJ ports. The below is not the one he is getting but I have never seen one with passenger car ports. Maybe they make one and don't advertise it or put out pictures?

https://www.429-460.com/t24195-speedmaster-460-blower-intake

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino January 9th 2023, 11:25 pm

The issue is that Speedmaster ports, like nearly every other aftermarket intake, is for CJ ports, which are round.....AFR heads have ports that are square, like a Chevy. So even though the info says the ports are in the stock location, they are a different shape!
Round feeding into square is going to have a terrible effect on the airflow ability right at the junction where they meet!

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaybob January 10th 2023, 7:46 pm

supervel45 wrote:I do to. Every picture I have seen of the SpeedMaster intakes they look to be CJ ports. The below is not the one he is getting but I have never seen one with passenger car ports. Maybe they make one and don't advertise it or put out pictures?

https://www.429-460.com/t24195-speedmaster-460-blower-intake

Won't let me attached a pic of the ports on the Speedmaster manifold (# PCE147.1124) I have. Says "Max size per file : 0Mb"
The port shape looks to be very similar to CJ ports. Casting is not very uniform. Top of port has a more "square-ish" shape and bottom is more oval. Meaning that there is a definite "flat" on the top of the ports.
**Using a tape measure:
Port width = 2.00"
Port height = 2.19"
Bottom of Manifold (port surface corner/edge) to top of port = 2.90"
Depending on how things lay when I match this up to the AFR heads (due in Feb.) I may be able to blend out the corners (or most of them) to match the AFR ports.
If not, then I'll figure it out from there...
Thanks for everyone's input.

Jaybob

Back to top Go down

Adapting a 429 manifold to SCJ style heads. Empty heads

Post  hbstang January 10th 2023, 7:52 pm

i am curious,why did you go with the afr heads instead of the sr71?
hbstang
hbstang

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 January 10th 2023, 10:30 pm

I would not loose much sleep over the port mismatch especially in a blown application. It's been going on since CJ/SCJ intakes came out in 1970. Ford even did it on the marine engines.
Same with BBC oval heads and rectangular intakes.
It reminds me of the dented header test awhile back that showed little difference.

Like you say match it up as best you can and go from there.

https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22539

https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38868

Let us know how it works out.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaybob January 11th 2023, 8:04 am

hbstang wrote:i am curious,why did you go with the afr heads instead of the sr71?
Initially I reached out to Scotty J about a cam.  After discussing the plan and setup, he recommended the AFRs.  He's a well-respected guy so I worked with him on getting the heads.

Jaybob

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaybob January 11th 2023, 8:04 am

supervel45 wrote:I would not loose much sleep over the port mismatch especially in a blown application. It's been going on since CJ/SCJ intakes came out in 1970. Ford even did it on the marine engines.
Same with BBC oval heads and rectangular intakes.
It reminds me of the dented header test awhile back that showed little difference.

Like you say match it up as best you can and go from there.

https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22539

https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38868

Let us know how it works out.
This is basically my understanding as well as comments made by Scotty J in our discussions.  As I understand it, flow characteristics change a fair bit when it's NA vs Boosted.  Applies to the exhaust side as well, headers that scavenge aren't as critical in a boosted engine.  Again, as I understand.

Jaybob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down