BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new build460, forgot to put oil shaft in !!

4 posters

Go down

new build460, forgot to put oil shaft in !! Empty new build460, forgot to put oil shaft in !!

Post  RANCHEROMAC November 1st 2022, 1:20 pm

my certified Ford retired brother says this would happen in his shop once in awhile, he said they had hacks to replace from top. anyone on here have this trick up there sleeves ?

RANCHEROMAC

Back to top Go down

new build460, forgot to put oil shaft in !! Empty Re: new build460, forgot to put oil shaft in !!

Post  Kobelco November 1st 2022, 8:13 pm

Yes has been many years since I had to help a "friend" with this find tube that shaft has to to be hand pressed into-tight fit, OD smaller than distributor guide hole, slip shaft down and rotate until you feel it drop and then drag when turning. Use a rod that fits thru the tube to push shaft down while pulling tube free.

As pointed out below yes remove the collar....

Last edited by Kobelco on November 1st 2022, 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kobelco

RANCHEROMAC likes this post

Back to top Go down

new build460, forgot to put oil shaft in !! Empty Re: new build460, forgot to put oil shaft in !!

Post  rmcomprandy November 1st 2022, 8:23 pm

RANCHEROMAC wrote:my certified Ford retired brother says this would happen in his shop once in awhile, he said they had hacks to replace from top. anyone on here have this trick up there sleeves ?

I have used another way:

Take the clip off the rod and then get a 5/16" thin wall, deep, 1/4" drive socket with 10 inch extension, use a sticky wheel bearing grease on the bottom of the rod and a lighter grease on the top of that rod and insert the top of the rod into the socket. Be sure that top side grease holds the rod in the socket. Then, slowly and carefully insert that rod down the distributor hole and into the oil pump.

Then, after the drive shaft has gone into the oil pump and is inserted all the way, hold the socket with a long, right angle pliers or spark plug boot pliers to remove the socket drive extension. Use carb cleaner to spray all the grease from inside the socket ... re-insert the socket drive extension and carefully remove the socket.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

The Mad Porter, RANCHEROMAC and Kobelco like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 November 2nd 2022, 7:17 am

Best to remove the pan and pump and install it with the clip, but it can be installed like Randy said.

You remove the distributor later and could be in for major surgery then when the shaft is in the pan.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

QtrWarrior and RANCHEROMAC like this post

Back to top Go down

new build460, forgot to put oil shaft in !! Empty how about shaft top on bottom of distributor all as one

Post  RANCHEROMAC November 7th 2022, 6:06 pm

Kobelco wrote:Yes has been many years since I had to help a "friend" with this find tube that shaft has to to be hand pressed into-tight fit, OD smaller than distributor guide hole, slip shaft down and rotate until you feel it drop and then drag when turning. Use a rod that fits thru the tube to push shaft down while pulling tube free.

As pointed out below yes remove the collar....

RANCHEROMAC

RANCHEROMAC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum