BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCJ Heads...Specific Piston?

+7
rmcomprandy
Mark O'Neal
bbf-falcon
Lem Evans
the Coug
OldRedFord
O-Deuce Coupe
11 posters

Go down

SCJ Heads...Specific Piston? Empty SCJ Heads...Specific Piston?

Post  O-Deuce Coupe December 30th 2009, 8:50 pm

I was looking at the SCJ Kaase Heads in Summit and I thought I remembered reading there is a specific piston that has to be run with these. Maybe something to do with the valve reliefs? Also I think these heads are a bargain at $1500, is there another good option around the same price (Aluminum)? I already looked into the P** C**p heads and those are out for me.

O-Deuce Coupe

Back to top Go down

SCJ Heads...Specific Piston? Empty Re: SCJ Heads...Specific Piston?

Post  OldRedFord December 30th 2009, 9:37 pm

Wha' 'chew wantin' to do with er' willis?

What are you wanting to do with your engine?

Info man.

I would get some heads from one of the vendors on this site, that way they are set up to your specific application. SCJ Heads...Specific Piston? Icon_biggrin
OldRedFord
OldRedFord

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug December 30th 2009, 9:45 pm

OldRedFord wrote:
I would get some heads from one of the vendors on this site, that way they are set up to your specific application. SCJ Heads...Specific Piston? Icon_biggrin

what some of these guy's don't understand is if they buy them from the vendors here they get more than just a sell, you get someone that actually know what they are selling and set the heads up accordinly. and will help you after the sale if something goes wrong, and not have to put up with the big warehouse deals... and all the paper crap...

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans December 30th 2009, 9:52 pm

$1,599.90 is what Summit sells them for...sounds more like $1,600 to me Smile . Probe and Diamond have a part # for the correct reliefs . Myself and others can make sure you have the right stuff .

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  O-Deuce Coupe December 30th 2009, 10:45 pm

the Coug wrote:
OldRedFord wrote:

what some of these guy's don't understand is if they buy them from the vendors here they get more than just a sell, you get someone that actually know what they are selling and set the heads up accordinly. and will help you after the sale if something goes wrong, and not have to put up with the big warehouse deals... and all the paper crap...

Randy

Lem Evans wrote:$1,599.90 is what Summit sells them for...sounds more like $1,600 to me Smile . Probe and Diamond have a part # for the correct reliefs . Myself and others can make sure you have the right stuff .
I definately prefer more of a person to person deal somebody that knows thier shit and can answer my stupid questions. Thanks for the help guys.

O-Deuce Coupe

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug December 30th 2009, 10:48 pm

O duece thats why these guy's are here, and trust me they will answer every question you need, and get you the right stuff the first time and it fits...... Lem is a greeat guy to deal with....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon December 30th 2009, 10:51 pm

the Coug wrote:O duece thats why these guy's are here, and trust me they will answer every question you need, and get you the right stuff the first time and it fits...... Lem is a greeat guy to deal with....

Randy
Lem IS da man Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark O'Neal December 31st 2009, 2:55 am

Yes...they do require a piston with an SCJ/P51 valve relief.

Mark O'Neal

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy December 31st 2009, 11:19 am

To set the record straight, those heads will MOST LIKELY need a piston with a dedicated intake valve notch. How SAFE do you want to be...?
IF for instance you are using a cam smaller than 244°@.050" with less than .600" total intake valve lift, you may not need any valve notch at all with those heads; you could put the pistons in backwards and they would still have enough piston to valve clearance with an FRPP "A443" camshaft for instance.

You have given LITTLE information for anyone to call this even closely.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf December 31st 2009, 11:52 am

So what does a set of Probe pistons cost? IIRC from other posts the diamond ones are around $800 bucks aren't they? I am assuming this would be a stock 460 .030 over piston.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans December 31st 2009, 12:16 pm

jasonf wrote:So what does a set of Probe pistons cost? IIRC from other posts the diamond ones are around $800 bucks aren't they? I am assuming this would be a stock 460 .030 over piston.
The Probe pistons have a lower price point than the diamond....they are stroker pistons .

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark O'Neal December 31st 2009, 2:10 pm

Unless I have find a reason to expand it........

Mark O'Neal

Back to top Go down

Post  O-Deuce Coupe January 1st 2010, 6:53 pm

As far as what I'd be doing with it, I wanted to put together a mid 7 sec. 1/8th street trophy bracket car for my wife. She's getting really interested in it and this is my encouragement to her. We'll be running a 2002 Mustang. As of right now we're still in the planning stage since I was concentrating on getting a good trailer and a tow rig first (which I finally got). I don't want anything extravagant, just a good solid reliable car that she can run every weekend. We'll be running 28x10 ET streets, 4.10's, mufflers, pump 93, and a C6 with no brake. I'm guessing the car will weigh around 33-3400lbs with driver, so whatever combo will get us there with what I listed I'll go with.

O-Deuce Coupe

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 1st 2010, 7:01 pm

I'm not real clear about your combo...is it a stock crank or a stroker ?

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  fordsbyjay January 1st 2010, 8:38 pm

Lem Evans wrote:I'm not real clear about your combo...is it a stock crank or a stroker ?

That might have been me Lem, it was never mentioned in the original post but I asked about the standard 460 piston for my own reasons. Not everyone wants a fire breathing 900 hspr 557. lol!

fordsbyjay

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf January 1st 2010, 8:40 pm

fordsbyjay wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:I'm not real clear about your combo...is it a stock crank or a stroker ?

That might have been me Lem, it was never mentioned in the original post but I asked about the standard 460 piston for my own reasons. Not everyone wants a fire breathing 900 hspr 557. lol!

That was for me Lem. Somehow my computer logged me in under the other name.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  O-Deuce Coupe January 2nd 2010, 11:08 am

I have a standard bore 460 block, stock crank and rods already. I'm not sure what all I'd use out of that though. I was thinking just the block because I could probably find a stroker crank for a little more than getting my stock crank ready to go.

O-Deuce Coupe

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf January 2nd 2010, 3:00 pm

O-Deuce Coupe wrote:I have a standard bore 460 block, stock crank and rods already. I'm not sure what all I'd use out of that though. I was thinking just the block because I could probably find a stroker crank for a little more than getting my stock crank ready to go.

That's the curse of having plentiful parts available for reasonable prices. You think, well I have to buy rods anyways so lets get longer ones, and well I have to get a crank anyways lets get a big long stroke, and so on and so on and next thing you have a killer motor when you just wanted a decent little stocker. lol!
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  O-Deuce Coupe January 2nd 2010, 11:19 pm

It is a vicious cycle lol. Like I said I'm wanting reliability first. I don't have the checkbook to be the fastest guy out there, I just wanna be out there and not broke all the time lol.

O-Deuce Coupe

Back to top Go down

Post  Tennessee Bullitt January 3rd 2010, 12:43 am

I bought my SCJ heads from Lem and let me tell you will not find better info from anyone. From talking about cleaning up the heads to piston materials and best bang for the buck parts, you can not beat him. Trust me I have called lots of places. Oh yea diamond makes pistons for the stock stroke and rod for the SCJ. Ask Lem you can't go wrong dealing with him.
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  justintx75 January 10th 2010, 10:55 am

Tennessee Bullitt wrote:I bought my SCJ heads from Lem and let me tell you will not find better info from anyone. From talking about cleaning up the heads to piston materials and best bang for the buck parts, you can not beat him. Trust me I have called lots of places. Oh yea diamond makes pistons for the stock stroke and rod for the SCJ. Ask Lem you can't go wrong dealing with him.

i agree, to purchase elsewhere and then asking the venders here to clean up the mess happens alot. i would find a vender that you gives you the service with the sale... i have been a customer of lem for a good while and can say he has went out of his way to assist me and ensure that i dont dont waste time and money on things i dont need.

justintx75

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 10th 2010, 11:23 am

justintx75 wrote:
Tennessee Bullitt wrote:I bought my SCJ heads from Lem and let me tell you will not find better info from anyone. From talking about cleaning up the heads to piston materials and best bang for the buck parts, you can not beat him. Trust me I have called lots of places. Oh yea diamond makes pistons for the stock stroke and rod for the SCJ. Ask Lem you can't go wrong dealing with him.

i agree, to purchase elsewhere and then asking the venders here to clean up the mess happens alot. i would find a vender that you gives you the service with the sale... i have been a customer of lem for a good while and can say he has went out of his way to assist me and ensure that i dont dont waste time and money on things i dont need.

AND, that's exactly what the guys at Summit. Jeg's and others hope happens ... that way they can concern themselves with selling more parts and not have to bother themselves making everything right AFTER the purchase.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  O-Deuce Coupe January 10th 2010, 12:47 pm

Very Cool guys, thanks so much. I will be talking to Lem.

O-Deuce Coupe

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark O'Neal January 11th 2010, 1:41 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:AND, that's exactly what the guys at Summit. Jeg's and others hope happens ... that way they can concern themselves with selling more parts and not have to bother themselves making everything right AFTER the purchase.

That is a so true. One of the giants sell a ton of 347 stuff and refers most of their tech calls to us.

I just figure they won't get the call the next time.

Mark O'Neal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down