BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Main stud girdle

+6
rmcomprandy
Lem Evans
bbf-falcon
blown473
TravisRice
56Tbird
10 posters

Go down

Main stud girdle Empty Main stud girdle

Post  56Tbird December 31st 2009, 3:54 pm

I've seen this argued over and over. I've had one on my engine since day one. I just tore it down, on the last freshening, I had it lined honed and the caps reset from light cap walk. This time it had alot worse cap walk, but there was a good thing the girdle did do. It took the brunt of the rod that came loose and saved my aluminum oil pan. I'm glad for that, but as far as cap walk ,it looks like it is no help at all, but it looks cool...lol...I think if your going over 800 HP with a 2 bolt block your pushing it too far. I'll have a 4bolt from now on . king
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Main stud girdle Empty Re: Main stud girdle

Post  TravisRice December 31st 2009, 4:08 pm

The old saying , when in doubt wait it out. I noticed here in the past few weeks this and the 4 bolt cap conversion has been hashed around quite a bit. What block are you going with then Dan-O ?? Are you stepping up to the A-460 or having Blake put the conversion on yours ?? Aluminum or Steel rods this time??

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Main stud girdle Empty girdle

Post  blown473 December 31st 2009, 10:04 pm

Which girdle were you running? Billet steel or DSS aluminum, or??? It would be interesting to compare brands since there are so many and I've see some real thin ones and some off shore ones that look cookie cutter flame cuts. Mine is 5/8 tool steel with arp studs and so far no cap walk. I am running std 460 stroke, so I don't know if the stroker motors are having a greater effect on cap walk. I also am running a blower and have been told the big 3" belt helps dampen out crank harmonics, so maybe that explains why I'm not having the trouble others are. I decided on my new motor to run both splayed caps and the girdle, as others on the forum have done with success. I would like to eventually upgrade to the A460 block. OK vendors how about a super close out 2009 1/2 off barn burning close-out coupon can't believe it sale????
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 1st 2010, 11:15 am

56Tbird wrote:I've seen this argued over and over. I've had one on my engine since day one. I just tore it down, on the last freshening, I had it lined honed and the caps reset from light cap walk. This time it had alot worse cap walk, but there was a good thing the girdle did do. It took the brunt of the rod that came loose and saved my aluminum oil pan. I'm glad for that, but as far as cap walk ,it looks like it is no help at all, but it looks cool...lol...I think if your going over 800 HP with a 2 bolt block your pushing it too far. I'll have a 4bolt from now on . king

Good info Dan. Glad it saved your Pan.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 1st 2010, 11:28 am

I am of the opinion that the longer stroke cranks work the bottom end harder .

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 1st 2010, 12:26 pm

The only girdles which seem to help strength are the ones which need cap machining to install; like five straps, just connected.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 1st 2010, 12:45 pm

They also make a great handle to pick the pieces up with........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird January 1st 2010, 1:13 pm

It's a Ford Motorsport Thick aluminum girdle.
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 1st 2010, 1:15 pm

56Tbird wrote:It's a Ford Motorsport Thick aluminum girdle.
Same unit as the DSS .

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird January 1st 2010, 1:33 pm

TravisRice wrote:The old saying , when in doubt wait it out. I noticed here in the past few weeks this and the 4 bolt cap conversion has been hashed around quite a bit. What block are you going with then Dan-O ?? Are you stepping up to the A-460 or having Blake put the conversion on yours ?? Aluminum or Steel rods this time??
Travis ,I'm buying Blakes 557 Shortblock. He's going to freshen it , and we're (Blake) is doing some stuff to the heads. We're going to try some new stuff and see what happens? The block is a D1VE with 4 bolt splayed cap conversion. cheers king
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer January 1st 2010, 2:08 pm

56Tbird wrote:I've seen this argued over and over. I've had one on my engine since day one. I just tore it down, on the last freshening, I had it lined honed and the caps reset from light cap walk. This time it had alot worse cap walk, but there was a good thing the girdle did do. It took the brunt of the rod that came loose and saved my aluminum oil pan. I'm glad for that, but as far as cap walk ,it looks like it is no help at all, but it looks cool...lol...I think if your going over 800 HP with a 2 bolt block your pushing it too far. I'll have a 4bolt from now on . king

If it did some good somewhere, it wasn't a total waste. Pans aren't cheap... and I don't think any of us want to spend more on replacing parts than we have to these days. I am sure it's a good feeling knowing you are getting something else back together.
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  paulie January 1st 2010, 4:06 pm

from what I seen these things never work at all. as Richter said just a good handle for picking up the pieces.

paulie

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 1st 2010, 4:22 pm

Never used one myself,BUT,if I had one lying around the shop and were running a 2 bolt block i would use it.I can't see it hurting anything.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 1st 2010, 4:26 pm

[quote=" ,I'm buying Blakes 557 Shortblock. He's going to freshen it , and we're (Blake) is doing some stuff to the heads. We're going to try some new stuff and see what happens? The block is a D1VE with 4 bolt splayed cap conversion. cheers king[/quote]
Dan, that thing ran 5.60's in snakes fox body, so you are gonna have to get the chassis fixed to 7.50 certification. That is gonna be 1badbird. affraid king

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug January 1st 2010, 4:27 pm

I suggest a fresh supply of clean Underwear.... you gonna need um.....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Main stud girdle Empty what about that block sale???

Post  blown473 January 1st 2010, 4:33 pm

Lets solve the problem once and for all! Bring on the barn burning block sale of all time! Cast iron is cheap on the world market right now! There should be an A460 block in every garage, so all Americans can have a taste of the good life! Very Happy Very Happy
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug January 1st 2010, 4:35 pm

blown473 wrote:Lets solve the problem once and for all! Bring on the barn burning block sale of all time! Cast iron is cheap on the world market right now! There should be an A460 block in every garage, so all Americans can have a taste of the good life! Very Happy Very Happy

do like the rest of us if you want one pull out the check book and buy one....I have 2 and will have another one probably this year.... and who knows I might have 4 or so by the time it is done....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird January 1st 2010, 6:35 pm

the Coug wrote:I suggest a fresh supply of clean Underwear.... you gonna need um.....

Randy
I hope I need them Coug. It's been 1.16 60ft. already...Some more should just be alittle more fun,besides I've been watching KyJelly Twisted Evil king
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum