BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New A460XBB block lifter bushings?

5 posters

Go down

New A460XBB block lifter bushings? Empty New A460XBB block lifter bushings?

Post  AndyLeslie January 17th 2024, 10:53 am

I have the new A460XBB here. Building a new shortblock for my Boss9 going from 521 to 572.

Lifters going in it will be 904's at minimum. I'm not sure how much lobe is going in it yet, my guess is around .480-.500...I haven't talked to Ed about the new cam much. Just that he want's me to go 60mm babbit bearing.

What I can't find is. Do I need to bush this block for solid rollers like I did my D0ve block?

Are these new blocks priority oiling?
AndyLeslie
AndyLeslie

Back to top Go down

New A460XBB block lifter bushings? Empty Re: New A460XBB block lifter bushings?

Post  rmcomprandy January 17th 2024, 11:26 am

AndyLeslie wrote:I have the new A460XBB here. Building a new shortblock for my Boss9 going from 521 to 572.

Lifters going in it will be 904's at minimum. I'm not sure how much lobe is going in it yet, my guess is around .480-.500...I haven't talked to Ed about the new cam much. Just that he want's me to go 60mm babbit bearing.

What I can't find is. Do I need to bush this block for solid rollers like I did my D0ve block?

The main oil gallery on that block is not also the passenger side lifter gallery as it is with an O.E.M. production block.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyLeslie January 17th 2024, 11:32 am

rmcomprandy wrote:The main oil gallery on that block is not also the passenger side lifter gallery as it is with an O.E.M. production block.

Is it Priority? Or does it still oil the crank last?
AndyLeslie
AndyLeslie

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 17th 2024, 11:37 am

AndyLeslie wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:The main oil gallery on that block is not also the passenger side lifter gallery as it is with an O.E.M. production block.

Is it Priority? Or does it still oil the crank last?

That block has a separate main oil gallery for the mains; unlike O.E.M.production blocks.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyLeslie January 17th 2024, 11:45 am

rmcomprandy wrote:That block has a separate main oil gallery for the mains; unlike O.E.M.production blocks.

Does it oil the crank first or last?
AndyLeslie
AndyLeslie

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 17th 2024, 12:12 pm

AndyLeslie wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:That block has a separate main oil gallery for the mains; unlike O.E.M.production blocks.

Does it oil the crank first or last?

Probably considered parallel because both galleries are initially fed from the same front main gallery; blocking the lifter gallery in the front on that passenger side and feed it totally from the rear makes the main gallery first.  

All those directions are supplied with the block.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyLeslie January 17th 2024, 12:18 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
Probably considered parallel because both galleries are initially fed from the same front main gallery; blocking the lifter gallery in the front on that passenger side and feed it totally from the rear makes the main gallery first.  

All those directions are supplied with the block.

Absolutely nothing comes with the new blocks other than a box of freeze plugs, galley plugs and dowls...
AndyLeslie
AndyLeslie

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyLeslie January 17th 2024, 1:10 pm

Talk to Tim at ford. The new A460XBB uses the same sheets as the old A460 instructions. Here's the link for anyone else needing info.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-6010-A460.PDF
AndyLeslie
AndyLeslie

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 17th 2024, 4:23 pm

Bushings are nice, easier on lifter bodies, but not necessary. You can just ream them lifter holes to the desired size and go. If going with standard lifters.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

New A460XBB block lifter bushings? Empty priority mains

Post  hbstang April 25th 2024, 11:06 am

you have the same oiling as all A460 block,so you can restrict what goes to the lifters,as they dont feed the mains.mains are fed from the lower oil galley just like the boss 429 block from 1969 ! but a lot of lifter companies now state not to restrict lifters as they need lots of oil for pressure fed bearings.
so the mains and lifters are fed at the same time in seperate galleys.
as for using bushings,that would restrict the lifters,and ads a lot of cost to an engine build.ask some experts if its needed.

any pictures/info on your fastback?i have a 68 fastback with a 557 boss engine,just trying to finish it up after paint etc.
hbstang
hbstang

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  hbstang April 27th 2024, 8:03 pm

AndyLeslie wrote:I have the new A460XBB here. Building a new shortblock for my Boss9 going from 521 to 572.

close to .900 lift?what boss heads do you have for your engine?
hbstang
hbstang

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane May 3rd 2024, 10:24 pm

AndyLeslie wrote:Is it Priority? Or does it still oil the crank last?
Just an FYI: the passenger car blocks don’t oil the crankshaft “last,” it just isn’t a Priority Mains-style design. Perhaps the most accurate description of the 385 Series passenger car block’s oiling system might be to say that it distributes oil to all the key points simultaneously. And it’s actually a more than adequate oiling system for the majority of builds. Cool

In regards to 0.904 lifters, if you can straighten/optimize the bores at 0.904” oversize without bushing them then you might want to consider that.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

rmcomprandy, QtrWarrior and Mark Miller like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down