BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need your opinions

+5
rmcomprandy
cletus66
bosshoss
Mark Miller
bbf-falcon
9 posters

Go down

Need your opinions Empty Need your opinions

Post  bbf-falcon January 21st 2010, 12:13 am

How much difference if any would it make to cut rings to a block bore at 35*F, or if the block temp was at 72* Question

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Need your opinions Empty Re: Need your opinions

Post  Mark Miller January 21st 2010, 2:04 am

Rick,

IMHO i don't think that would be a big enough temperature variance to make much difference.But then again i and other people call me a dumb ass sometimes.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss January 21st 2010, 5:21 am

I got burned on this once before because I didnt check my coeficient of expansion.

Looked it up and it is .0000059/degree/inch so that means a 40 degree change on a 4.5 bore would equal .001062.

Multiply that by 3.1416 and you get .0033.

So unless my grade eight math and my 50 cent calculator are both messed up you could see a change in ring end gap of roughly .003

this would only be a factor if the rings were cold and the block was hot or vice versa. As long as they are both the same temp they will both grow at almost exactly the same rate. Pretty sure even moly and or chrome rings are still a cast iron base with a coating. The difference in the expansion rates of the ring and the block is likely very small.

I will stop now because I am confusing myself with possibillities Laughing Laughing

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 21st 2010, 12:57 pm

Well,I did a little experimenting this week. I started a P51 headed 466 build for a Forum member. Imade sure the block was up to 72 degrees and I started the normal hot soapy deal and all the preassembly deal. Cut the rings and kept them each in their bore. When I was finished I documented the clearanceson the build sheet. I was done for the day and covered everything and turned off all the heat and closed shop. The next day I checked the ring clearances again w/the block temp at 33 degrees. They were dead on the same gap as far as I could tell by the feel of the feeler gage.
So does anyone else have anymore engine building myth/tips they would like to share. Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 January 21st 2010, 6:33 pm

We're supposed to check the ring gaps? Shocked

Just kidding !!! Laughing
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 21st 2010, 8:25 pm

I wheeled a 4.280" bore block ouside this morning after measuring the bore; tonight after the cold soak the bore was almost .0004" smaller. (About 68 degrees to 25 degrees).
That's going to be at the most just over .001" in the ring end gap.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice January 21st 2010, 8:36 pm

Pretty interesting stuff. What about a aluminum block deal even thought it has steel sleeves ??

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 21st 2010, 8:44 pm

TravisRice wrote:Pretty interesting stuff. What about a aluminum block deal even thought it has steel sleeves ??

That must mean it's YOUR TURN to do the actual test and tell everybody else the results you find...

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jc10000rpm January 21st 2010, 11:46 pm

normally the rings and block are in close proximity when fitting them,

therefore the size change do to temperature change would effect both items roughly the same amount, leaving the gap bout' the same

OH Well, thats my guess anyways...................

jc10000rpm

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 21st 2010, 11:54 pm

I enjoy Jon Kasse's little tips and tool deals as much as anything each year at the seminars. Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 January 22nd 2010, 12:02 am

bbf-falcon wrote:I enjoy Jon Kasse's little tips and tool deals as much as anything each year at the seminars. Smile

OK! givem up

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  The Pope January 22nd 2010, 7:52 am

res0rli9 wrote:
bbf-falcon wrote:I enjoy Jon Kasse's little tips and tool deals as much as anything each year at the seminars. Smile

OK! givem up

I hope that these are on the DVD! But any tid bits you can pass our way now Rick, would be appreciated!
The Pope
The Pope

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice January 22nd 2010, 9:44 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
TravisRice wrote:Pretty interesting stuff. What about a aluminum block deal even thought it has steel sleeves ??

That must mean it's YOUR TURN to do the actual test and tell everybody else the results you find...

I would love to. Although I have owned an aluminum block deal I have no access to one as we speak. If it is 26* in my shop, I really don't think you are going to see me file fitting rings. Laughing I just find this topic interesting and was wondering if you thought the results would be the same with the Alumium deal, not being a smart ass or know it all thats why I am asking Randy.

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 22nd 2010, 9:58 pm

Guy's, The Seminar was great in ALL ways,from being w/friends to learning from the Pro's.I could talk about it all nite but then there wouldn't be anything to discuss when the ones that did'nt go get their Seminar DVD's. Alot more pic's will be on the DVD also.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down