BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best way to slow car down?

+14
bruno
KY JELLY
LivermoreDave
DanH
Treeyasoon
falconracer
Diggindeeper
paulie9fingers
342g
bcr466
res0rli9
the Coug
whatbumper
cobrakid8
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Best way to slow car down? Empty Best way to slow car down?

Post  cobrakid8 February 23rd 2010, 12:47 pm

Hey guys about to start a new season with the car and trying to get everything figured out. We run heads-up classes around here 6 and 7 flat classes. The car has so far ran a best of 6.22 and we have not really touched anything on the motor as far as timing and everything, but I do not think we can get another .25 out of the car by adding a spacer like Jomar or HVH super sucker and timing. The car only weighs around 2750 with me in it, so no weight savings anywhere either.
So my question is what is the best way to slow the car down almost .80 to run the 7 flat class? Class rules makes it so we cannot run a throttle stop, we have tried weights, moving the timing down, shortening the throttle cable, and also adding a stop behing the throttle so that it cannot open all the way where we have a plate and the throttle linkage hits a bolt and stops it, but none have been consistent enough so I end up having to wheel race guys that can run very consistent numbers. I thought that one of the new boxes like a digital-7 might be the way to go but not sure if it would work or not, a guy in the class slows his down with a box by taking timing out for most of the run and once he figured out the proper curve he runs very consistent numbers, but I do not know what box he has. I have a laptop but what box would allow us to do this and what else is needed to make it run with our motor? The motor is a 466, Kaase SCJ heads, solid lift roller cam, cannot remember exact numbers but mid .700 lift, gear drive, msd dizzy, 1050 Holley dominator. If you need anything else just let me know any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Best way to slow car down? Empty Re: Best way to slow car down?

Post  whatbumper February 23rd 2010, 1:07 pm

you can pretty much do anything with a digital 7.

you could also put a tight converter in leave at idle and shift early. I had to do that once in my old bracket car.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 February 23rd 2010, 1:24 pm

yeah we also tried the shifting with timer thing but it just would not slow it down enough, .80 is alot of time to try and we would be shifting before getting to 60ft and than letting her eat the rest of the way, it was nice because we would mph everyone, so i went a few rounds just breaking people out but it just would not run as consistent as the guy with the mustang running one of the boxes, he would leave it would like stutter almost like a throttle stop and than start to eat and he won first 2 races, track made him tear down and it was the box he was working with and that is not illegal for the class, so just want to see exactly what box it is and how easy it is to use! Thanks! Doug

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 February 23rd 2010, 5:44 pm

so does anyone actually use one of these boxes? And if you do how easy is it to work and program? I was looking at a few of the MSD boxes. If anyone has or knows someone that has one and can help point me in a good direction help would be appreciated!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-7531/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-7530T/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-7535/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-75301/

They all seem to be about the same with some additional features the last one has some data acquisition stuff which might be pretty cool.

thanks,
Doug

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug February 23rd 2010, 6:08 pm

let Hemi Hunter tune it.....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 February 23rd 2010, 6:27 pm

Dam I just spit my drink out all over the computor Evil or Very Mad lol! lol! lol!

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bcr466 February 23rd 2010, 6:36 pm

Get some aluminum and make a restrictor plate to go under the carb.experiment with different size holes, find one that will get you to the time you desire.Then to go back, just remove the plate.
bcr466
bcr466

http://cracing@frontiernet.net

Back to top Go down

Post  342g February 23rd 2010, 7:25 pm

Or, put a gm motor, no wait, "engine" in it. Very Happy
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  paulie9fingers February 23rd 2010, 7:47 pm

You can try putting a smaller carb on it, or the afore mentioned restrictor plate, both of these methods are quick ways to be able to restore it back to going fast.
paulie9fingers
paulie9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper February 23rd 2010, 7:54 pm

you could put something procomp on it. Laughing Laughing
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 February 23rd 2010, 8:05 pm

lol! Already had something Pro comp on the car and it slowed it down so much it would not get out of the garage so now with nothing on it pro comp it is way to fast! Some of the guys have used a restricter plate on their cars to run the class so that very well could work but I see alot of test-n-tune in my future to be able to get it dialed in using the plates. will have to try and get to work on making some of them because season starts next month with the heads-up classes! I just want something that would work and not be to hard on the motor either, since we have had such bad luck with about everything racing wise! Also on suggestion I might have to get some suggestions from Hemi-hunter than! Laughing

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  falconracer February 23rd 2010, 8:19 pm

undo the back barrels on the carb
falconracer
falconracer

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 February 23rd 2010, 8:54 pm

We tried that last year and the car really did not like it at all ran in high 7's, just could not find a happy medium for the car! Thanks! doug

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug February 23rd 2010, 9:01 pm

make a restrictor plate and keep the front bores the same is carb and make the rear small and open them up till you get the desired speed....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Treeyasoon February 23rd 2010, 9:04 pm

I have to step outside of the box on this one...

Why not just make it go faster? What gear do you run...how hard do you launch? Tire size? Is it in the budget?

I would think it might possibly be easier to consistanty pick up .2 than to lose .8....whatcha' think?

JMO....
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH February 23rd 2010, 9:59 pm

X2 on go faster. he has to tune it, which he hasnt. hitting 6.0 is dead on, sometimes can get away with a few K's slower. Then if can't get 6.0 ..slow it down , can say ..tried, but..

DanH

Back to top Go down

Best way to slow car down? Empty SIMPLY IRRESISTIBLE!

Post  LivermoreDave February 23rd 2010, 10:20 pm

Simply adjust the throttle linkage to not operate at WOT!

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 February 24th 2010, 9:20 am

I would love to make this thing go faster, we run a 4.11 gear in the car and have another gear and everything already set-up to run, although I am not sure a 4.30 would make that much of a difference, but my dad does not want me to keep changing the gears out because we try to run 1/4 with NMRA and he thinks that the 4.11 is perfect to run both 1/8 and 1/4, but I mean everything is set-up just unbolt the thid member and put the new one in and add lube and it is ready to go. I thought about buying a spacer for the car like jomar power cone or HVH Super Sucker and than adding some timing and try to make it speed up and than add the 4.30 gear and I think that would get me to 6.00 but I am just not sure what this thing will run, we have a new set of slicks for the upcoming season, we were running I think 13X32 and going to I think a 14X33 or something to that effect, because the other set of slicks were to small and really old, plus I am going to take all the weights out of the car also and get it down to the 2750 that it weighs with everything including me in it. I hate slowing things down myself but my dad likes to race 7.00 like he does with IHRA Hot Rod but like I told him slowing down there is easy since the TS is legal but in this local class it is not! I just wished he would switch over to alky and this thing would run really close to 6.00 and I would not have to take as many big swings to try and run quicker, but right now we are waiting to get everything back from machine shop since we broke a crank last run of the season, so once that is back we can get it together and hopefully make some full passes on the motor. I think the car has 6.00 potential but my dad does not so I want a good TNT night to get the car worked out and like someone say at least I can say I tried before slowing it down so much! Will keep you guys updated and will try to get my dad to get working on some restrictor plates for the car, because it is much cheaper than buying the box for now! Thanks, Doug

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY February 24th 2010, 9:39 am

That car should run 6-0's easy. 486 gear would get it well on its way and I am sure alcohol would do the rest.
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno February 24th 2010, 12:39 pm

i use the 7530t ...and it works great

Last edited by bruno on May 10th 2010, 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  John I. February 24th 2010, 3:05 pm

I agree with KY, speed it up. A friend of mine switched to alky on his factory headed 500" CJ, and it went from 8.60's down to 8.30's with no other changes. I tried limiting the throttle on my Mustang when my daughter first started driving it, and it bounced from 10.70's to 11.0's. We never won a round until I took it off the "little baby girl" setting, and put it back on "daddy" setting, then she went to the final round first race.

*Edit* Woo hoo, 100 posts! I'm in the big leagues now baby!

John I.
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick February 24th 2010, 3:31 pm

KY is right, IMO. Your car is very similar to one I used to race. It LOVED the 4.86 gear. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't go 6.0's with a gear change. Just be hangin' on when it launches.....your 60' times are gonna come down.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 24th 2010, 6:27 pm

X 2, gear and alky will get it there.............much more fun to go 6.0 than 7.0............... Very Happy
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug February 24th 2010, 6:37 pm

I have some 5.86's you can put in it and WIND that thing like a small block....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 24th 2010, 7:33 pm

4.86 will be fine................. Cool
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next