BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Distributor gear pin shears on me....any suggestions to help prevent this from happening again?

+9
bbf-falcon
Barry_R
IDT-572
Lem Evans
bruno
OldRedFord
schmitty
56Tbird
83-88T-Bird Guy
13 posters

Go down

Distributor gear pin shears on me....any suggestions to help prevent this from happening again? Empty Distributor gear pin shears on me....any suggestions to help prevent this from happening again?

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy August 17th 2009, 10:06 am

I figured since most of the experienced guys have moved to this site, I'll post this and get your opinions.

We had a problem Sat. night with the gray bird. My wife was cruising down the track after picking up her trophy and I hear this loud "POW" downtrack. It came from the Bird. Definitely a backfire in the exhaust. Then the engine dies.
The first thing I checked was that the rotor was turning, which it was.

Luckily, I was carrying a spare distributor and after I had changed distributors, the engine sounded the same and still would not fire and sounded really weird on the 2 times it tried. I played with moving the timing around but no luck.
So I decided "what the heck" and put the new distr. in 180 degrees out and the engine fired right up !

This is what happened: The distributor gear pin sheared and then the gear spun around the shaft and hooked enough on the dist. shaft to keep turning the rotor.

My question is how do I fix a distributor so the pin will not shear again? ....(BTW: The distr. was an auto-parts house rebuild and was 5 years old turning a standard oil pump.)

Alan
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Distributor gear pin shears on me....any suggestions to help prevent this from happening again? Empty Re: Distributor gear pin shears on me....any suggestions to help prevent this from happening again?

Post  56Tbird August 17th 2009, 10:11 am

Sounds like fatique Alan. I've had a couple do it before. I just repinned them and ran this heck out of them. No problems so far. The one in my motorhome did it 3 times and I double pinned it..it's still running..knock on wood!!Good luck,Dan-O affraid cheers
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Distributor gear pin shears on me....any suggestions to help prevent this from happening again? Empty Re: Distributor gear pin shears on me....any suggestions to help prevent this from happening again?

Post  schmitty August 17th 2009, 10:16 am

I had one giving me fits and drilled to the next size up and put a bigger pin in it. If it's been 5 years, I wouldn't sweat it though and do like Dan said and just repin it and go.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  OldRedFord August 17th 2009, 10:31 am

Pin it with some tool steel?
OldRedFord
OldRedFord

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno August 17th 2009, 11:29 am

ive also double-pinn my bronze gear

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 17th 2009, 11:44 am

Drill it out to the next size pin....5/32" .

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 August 17th 2009, 12:45 pm

Isn't there a measurement of like (.004-.007 not sure on this ) clearence from the bottom of the gear to the top of the boss in the engine block that needs to be checked. As long as I have had mine in spec, there has never been a problem. (knock wood) This is explained in the MSD instuctions when installing a gear.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 17th 2009, 1:12 pm

Distributor gear pin shears on me....any suggestions to help prevent this from happening again? Dizzygear2

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 August 17th 2009, 2:01 pm

There you go............ Very Happy
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy August 17th 2009, 4:15 pm

Thanks Lem for the scanned sheet ! Very Happy
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry_R August 18th 2009, 8:41 am

We've used the larger Chevy pins in them a couple times....

Barry_R

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 18th 2009, 8:32 pm

Also some of the rebuilds have the soft pins,so make sure and put a heavy pin in like was said.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 August 21st 2009, 10:28 pm

as long as gear doesnt wear (touch) block your fine,we have tested .005 to .0075 clearance between gear and block, no problems. just make sure it clears,we have found that not all blocks are mach the same in this spot
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  jrocco August 22nd 2009, 9:08 am

Pull the shaft completely out of the housing and check to make sure the oil groove is cleaned out. I put a rebuilt in my truck several years ago and sheared 2 pins before I figured it out. Without any oil getting to the top bushing, it was seizing up after running for a while.
jrocco
jrocco

Back to top Go down

Post  HOOK August 24th 2009, 12:35 am

were can i get these super strong pins from and the matching drill size. ????

HOOK

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 24th 2009, 5:02 am

That should be a 1/8" pin and you should be able to get that at NAPA.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGDOG466 August 29th 2009, 7:58 am

I have done the double pin and went to the bigger pin both works well. I did buy some extra shafts from MSD because I checked the dimensions per the sheet posted here and found the gear was .015 off on a new unit which would cause wear on the gear. Very Happy
BIGDOG466
BIGDOG466

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down