BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

anyone useing oil accumulator's

+11
David Cole
Larry Williams
Treeyasoon
Lem Evans
rmcomprandy
BOSS 429
powerstrokeace
342g
512Fairlane
richter69
jesse
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

anyone useing oil accumulator's - Page 2 Empty Re: anyone useing oil accumulator's

Post  Larry Williams August 2nd 2010, 1:15 pm

richter69 wrote:Have used one for the last 8 years, wouldn't run it without one. Get the 3qt deal and the electric valve, tied mine into the ign switch, always primes the motor.

which voltage do you run the solinoid with?
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

anyone useing oil accumulator's - Page 2 Empty Re: anyone useing oil accumulator's

Post  342g August 2nd 2010, 1:53 pm

12-16 either
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 August 2nd 2010, 2:51 pm

One thing you don't want to do is prime the motor then turn the switch off and run it because that leaves an extra 2.5 to 3 quarts of oil in the pan while you are running.

quote;
-----------------------------------------------------
if you buy the elect valve you dont have to worry about this, it fills the tank after engine is started,its a 1 way valve when off

rich
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole August 2nd 2010, 3:27 pm

Treeyasoon wrote:What PSI rating are you guys running on your electronic pressure control valve? I see Moroso offers three different ones.
I raced a track with a shorter shutdown this past weekend and was losing pressure under heavy braking....gotta' get me an accumulator for sure before I run there again.
Thanks,
Jeff

They actually have 4. The three you mention have a pressure activated switch that only supplies oil above and below a certain point. I have used and like the one without the pressure switch. Search for Moroso #23905. Same valve as the others, just no switch. Without the switch the accumulator will supply oil whenever the pressure drops below what is in the accumulator.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 2nd 2010, 5:22 pm

BOSS 429 wrote: One thing you don't want to do is prime the motor then turn the switch off and run it because that leaves an extra 2.5 to 3 quarts of oil in the pan while you are running.

quote;
if you buy the elect valve you dont have to worry about this, it fills the tank after engine is started,its a 1 way valve when off

rich

the electric moroso valve will allow the accumulator to fill even when switched off, I run mine off 16 volts.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug August 2nd 2010, 5:34 pm

Personally if you have a problem with loosing PSI on shut down you have something wrong in the first place and putting a bandaid on it is not fixing whats wrong.....

JMHO
Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Treeyasoon August 2nd 2010, 5:48 pm

the Coug wrote:Personally if you have a problem with loosing PSI on shut down you have something wrong in the first place and putting a bandaid on it is not fixing whats wrong.....
Like what? I run a Moroso #20625 7 quart pan with 7 quarts of oil in it?
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 2nd 2010, 5:50 pm

Even with a kick ass pan you stop a fast car on a short shutdown track you can have issues. IMO the accumulator is an insurance thing, that and the priming for startups is worth the installation of one alone.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Treeyasoon August 2nd 2010, 5:52 pm

David Cole wrote:They actually have 4. The three you mention have a pressure activated switch that only supplies oil above and below a certain point. I have used and like the one without the pressure switch. Search for Moroso #23905. Same valve as the others, just no switch. Without the switch the accumulator will supply oil whenever the pressure drops below what is in the accumulator.
Can you still prime the engine with this one?
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 2nd 2010, 5:58 pm

Just tie the electric valve into the ign wire. It will always prime and always be on, it will act like a damper. You guys can run all the fancy press drop switches etc but there is no need. If my press gets low I would rather not have the delay of waiting for the switch to open the valve and such.

Yall make shit too hard I swear lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Treeyasoon August 2nd 2010, 6:04 pm

If the accumulator will supply oil back to the engine when the pressure drops, what is the point of the switches? To control "when" it happens?
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

Post  342g August 2nd 2010, 6:16 pm

Treeyasoon wrote:If the accumulator will supply oil back to the engine when the pressure drops, what is the point of the switches? To control "when" it happens?

Some folks use the switch, but as Jon said just wire the switch to ignition, when you flip the switch on, three quarts of oil goes to the engine for a wet start, as soon as it fires it refills the accumilator for when the pressure drops, or the next start up, don't leave home without it, Laughing

oh yeah, when you change oil, be sure to flip switch on to drain the tank, if not you will have a lot of oil in the pan. cheers
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole August 2nd 2010, 6:21 pm

Treeyasoon wrote:If the accumulator will supply oil back to the engine when the pressure drops, what is the point of the switches? To control "when" it happens?

Yes, for example the Moroso 23908 opens the valve if oil pressure drops below 40 psi, but shuts off the oil flow if it goes below 30. It's supposed to make it quicker to refill the accumulator since it's still got oil oil in. It's didn't let all the oil out since it shut off when the pressure went below 30. Advantage to that is that if the engine dies and you restart it, it will fill quicker. Disadvantages are that it won't prime a cold engine. You turn on the switch and the valve stays closed because you are BELOW the 30 psi where it shuts off. Also, if something something went wrong like a broken oil pump pickup, burst oil filter the oil will stop flowing once it drops below 30 psi.

Without the pressure switch, you turn on the ignition and it will open the valve and pre-lube the engine. Also it might give you another 5-6 seconds of oil pressure if you had a breakage as above. The valve will let the oil keep flowing until it's all emptied. Might be enough time to shut it off and save a crank. Without the pressure switch you simply have to give it time to fill after you start the engine before you make a pass. On my dragster I would flip the ignition on, as soon as I saw oil pressure on the gauge I would fire it off. With hot oil it would take about 5 secs for the accumulator to fill to the point of matching engine oil pressure.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  Treeyasoon August 2nd 2010, 8:21 pm

David Cole wrote:Yes, for example the Moroso 23908 opens the valve if oil pressure drops below 40 psi, but shuts off the oil flow if it goes below 30. It's supposed to make it quicker to refill the accumulator since it's still got oil oil in. It's didn't let all the oil out since it shut off when the pressure went below 30.
Thanks David....This was part I was not getting. I didn't realize that the valve shuts again at 30....I understood it to be the range in which the valve would open....30-40 psi....Which I figured would be good. I can see quite well where this could be a major issue with complete loss of pressure. I'll take a look at the #23905.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Jeff
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 2nd 2010, 9:05 pm

342g wrote:

Some folks use the switch, but as Jon said just wire the switch to ignition, when you flip the switch on, three quarts of oil goes to the engine for a wet start, as soon as it fires it refills the accumilator for when the pressure drops, or the next start up, don't leave home without it, Laughing

oh yeah, when you change oil, be sure to flip switch on to drain the tank, if not you will have a lot of oil in the pan. cheers

spoken like a true A+ know-it-all racer........ Neutral cheers
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  342g August 2nd 2010, 10:21 pm

I,m trying, do I get a atta boy yet? Laughing Twisted Evil
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 August 2nd 2010, 11:28 pm

the Coug wrote:Personally if you have a problem with loosing PSI on shut down you have something wrong in the first place and putting a bandaid on it is not fixing whats wrong.....

JMHO
Randy

i saw 6 pulls diff pull trucks have the low oil light come on at the last pull i went to, it can not be helped with a wet sump, a auc/sump isnot a bandaid fix, its almost a requirment, sled stops these guys dead sometimes, an then if you have a vac pump for low ten rings,it makes it worse

the higher the rpm,the harder the stop,all things that play heck with the oil

BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 August 2nd 2010, 11:32 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Something must have changed...I'm not seeing that to be the case. There is an A460 blocked engine on the dyno at Mike's [as we speak] that had 70 psi at the rear. Solid roller with restricted upper gallery

very true,the elm block you have to take it from the front,the a blocks use the rear

10 to 15 lbs diff in a elm block front to rear, just did this test in feb on the dyno
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 August 2nd 2010, 11:35 pm

richter69 wrote:
BOSS 429 wrote: One thing you don't want to do is prime the motor then turn the switch off and run it because that leaves an extra 2.5 to 3 quarts of oil in the pan while you are running.

quote;

rich

the electric moroso valve will allow the accumulator to fill even when switched off, I run mine off 16 volts.

right that what i said
-R
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 3rd 2010, 10:06 am

After I installed mine ,I was at our local 1/8 mile track w/short shutdown. I witnessed what it does after getting hard on the brakes,The pressure dropped to 20lb. and the elec.valve opened and the gage started coming right up. Made me glad I had it. Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 3rd 2010, 10:22 am

Saw that after I posted Rich, hard to see everything on the iPhone and even tougher to go back and edit lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea August 3rd 2010, 12:16 pm

I have my accumulator solenoid on a dedicated switch so I can prime the engine, get the engine spinning and then hit the ignition switch.

Everyone should have an oil pressure accumulator IMO Idea
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams August 3rd 2010, 1:44 pm

after doing a very dumb thing this weekend, trying to avoid the oil moving away from the pickup after the traps, and ending up in the other lane, I decided to order an accumulater it will be here tomorrow.
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  Treeyasoon August 3rd 2010, 2:45 pm

Larry Williams wrote:after doing a very dumb thing this weekend, trying to avoid the oil moving away from the pickup after the traps, and ending up in the other lane, I decided to order an accumulater it will be here tomorrow.
I'm kinda' in the same boat....watching the oil pressure gauge more than where I'm at on the track...I'll have one soon too.
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 3rd 2010, 8:22 pm

you mean you guys look at the oil press gauge???
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum