BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mallory Unilite dizzy, all mechanical: please help?!?

5 posters

Go down

Mallory Unilite dizzy, all mechanical: please help?!? Empty Mallory Unilite dizzy, all mechanical: please help?!?

Post  torkair March 10th 2010, 6:39 pm

Well I picked up a mallory dizzy for a killer price today and come to find out it's an all mechanical piece. I honestly dont know how to set this thing up as I've always had dizzies with a vac advance. I want to use this thing in my 400 motor until the 460 is ready then migrate it over to the newer motor. So aside from a ballast resistor, coil, and plug wires what else might I need for this to work? I dont have alot of cash to work with here so please keep that in mind.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Mallory Unilite dizzy, all mechanical: please help?!? Empty Re: Mallory Unilite dizzy, all mechanical: please help?!?

Post  Tommyj466 March 10th 2010, 9:41 pm

That's all you need. They are pretty simple. There is prbably about 20-24 degrees of mechanical advance built in to it. Set initial timing at 10 degrees and confirm full advance with a timing light. Adjust as desired. Smile
Tommyj466
Tommyj466

Back to top Go down

Mallory Unilite dizzy, all mechanical: please help?!? Empty Mallory dist

Post  blown473 March 11th 2010, 8:58 pm

You have either the 3756701 or 2556701 depending on whether its a dual point or a unilite. You can easily adjust the advance curve in the distributor if you want. Mallory designed them this way. If you remove the top plate with the points or unilite module you will see 2 slots with small "arms" with lock down screws. Mallory has a plastic tool thats stepped that you loosed the hold down screw and insert it into the slot for the desired setting. you can also change the springs to speed up or slow down the curve. Its pretty nice you can easily custom curve your distributor to fit your motor. The kits are still available from mallory, the last one I bought I got from summit.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Mallory Unilite dizzy, all mechanical: please help?!? Empty Re: Mallory Unilite dizzy, all mechanical: please help?!?

Post  DILLIGASDAVE March 12th 2010, 10:00 am

If it's a Unilite dizzy are you going to be using any of their ignition boxes with it? If you can find them, Mallory's older first gen Hyfire boxes without all the bells & whistles were a pretty decent box for the money.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  paulie9fingers March 12th 2010, 10:03 am

blown473 wrote:You have either the 3756701 or 2556701 depending on whether its a dual point or a unilite. You can easily adjust the advance curve in the distributor if you want. Mallory designed them this way. If you remove the top plate with the points or unilite module you will see 2 slots with small "arms" with lock down screws. Mallory has a plastic tool thats stepped that you loosed the hold down screw and insert it into the slot for the desired setting. you can also change the springs to speed up or slow down the curve. Its pretty nice you can easily custom curve your distributor to fit your motor. The kits are still available from mallory, the last one I bought I got from summit.

^^^^ x2

If the distributor you bought wasn't new and you don't have the recurve kit, you can get buy different springs for recurving the advance in the curve kit (Summit, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-29015/ ) and you can get the instructions from Mallory ( http://www.malloryperformance.com/pdf/29015.pdf ) if you already have the springs.

Good luck
paulie9fingers
paulie9fingers

Back to top Go down

Post  torkair March 12th 2010, 10:23 pm

I'll be looking for the recurve kit when cash flow allows, as for the ignition box, I plan to get one when the dizzy and other components migrate over to the 460.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down