BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need 31 spline axle help

5 posters

Go down

need 31 spline axle help Empty need 31 spline axle help

Post  duff429 March 30th 2010, 1:39 am

im looking to sell my OEM 31 spline axles out of my 70 cyclone and get moser but need to know the lowdown on these axels before i put them up for sale.

i have a few questions,..first off, what is this little "collar"? it only has it on the longer tube???

[img]need 31 spline axle help 223-1[/img]

2nd, does it matter that these are different sizes?, my main question is are axles pretty much ready to run??? thanks for any info

[img]need 31 spline axle help 232-1[/img]
duff429
duff429

Back to top Go down

need 31 spline axle help Empty Re: need 31 spline axle help

Post  DanH March 30th 2010, 2:12 am

axle bearing was replaced , why there is no seal wear ring and collar is different. axle with no ring must use a 28 spline seal . don't know why you want Moser , unless your going bigger spline

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  duff429 March 30th 2010, 2:37 am

i plan on doing a 545+ stroker,for mostly weekend warrior on the streets and dont want to risk the oem axles.,the car is also a 4 speed car, should i mabey sell the detroit locker also and upgrade to a 35 spline for added insurance?
duff429
duff429

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss March 30th 2010, 2:43 am

Personally I would go with the 35's and an upgraded locker.

Looks like somebody might of installed a redi sleeve on that one axle to cover a damaged seal surface.

You will need to send in some measurements when you order new axles. I think they have a sheet on the web site you can refer to.

By different sizes do you mean different lengths? If so that is normal. Even if the pinion is in the center of the car which it isnt usually on stock stuff the axles will be different lengths.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  duff429 March 30th 2010, 2:51 am

bosshoss wrote:Personally I would go with the 35's and an upgraded locker.

Looks like somebody might of installed a redi sleeve on that one axle to cover a damaged seal surface.

You will need to send in some measurements when you order new axles. I think they have a sheet on the web site you can refer to.

By different sizes do you mean different lengths? If so that is normal. Even if the pinion is in the center of the car which it isnt usually on stock stuff the axles will be different lengths.

dkp

yes different lenghts. this is a stock rear end. not sure if the pinion is in the center of the axel, i dont have it here with me at this time. but for the main part are these axles ok to use? i will sell these before i order new ones.

edit: im in the process of restoring the car, so i have not drove it yet
duff429
duff429

Back to top Go down

Post  duff429 March 30th 2010, 3:19 am

By different sizes do you mean different lengths?

sorry , i mean in the 2nd picture the things that im pointing to are different sizes.

im kinda wondering if my car really never has slicks on it and im not dropping the clutch at full throttle shouldnt 31 spline be fine?
duff429
duff429

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P March 30th 2010, 9:15 am

You'll be fine with 31 spline Mosers. I say that because I have beat on my 31 spline Moser axles and a detroit locker for years with absolutely no issues of any kind.

They have taken the abuse of 900+ HP and 11.5" wide slicks for several seasons now and are not twisted at all, and the locker looks perfect inside still. Granted my car is an automatic, though.

If you use a good case and the Moser axles, you'll be pretty close to bulletproof at your HP level and tire type/size as long as you stay out of wheel hop.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH March 30th 2010, 11:48 am

bosshoss wrote:Personally I would go with the 35's and an upgraded locker.

dkp
what you call a redi sleeve is a OEM part from day 1 when the car was made

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  duff429 March 30th 2010, 2:03 pm

Greg_P wrote:You'll be fine with 31 spline Mosers. I say that because I have beat on my 31 spline Moser axles and a detroit locker for years with absolutely no issues of any kind.

They have taken the abuse of 900+ HP and 11.5" wide slicks for several seasons now and are not twisted at all, and the locker looks perfect inside still. Granted my car is an automatic, though.

If you use a good case and the Moser axles, you'll be pretty close to bulletproof at your HP level and tire type/size as long as you stay out of wheel hop.

Greg

my case is a N case so it should be good. i will go with the 31 spline, i just was not sure because of the 4 speed. i looked on mosers site and i take it i should keep this part off my old axles then?? thanks again guys

[img]need 31 spline axle help 232-2[/img]
duff429
duff429

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P March 30th 2010, 9:21 pm

Moser axles come with their own bearing retainers, so you won't need the old ones.

I am running Moser's sealed bearings with great success also.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 April 5th 2010, 8:15 pm

I just bought a set of mosers 31 spline axles couple weeks ago with the bearing the moser tech guy told me not to run the factory seal there bearings are sealed with a o-ring on the ouside. He also told me that it inter seal could cause axle falure from where the seal rides if it cut a groove in it later on.I know years back when I had my 71 Mustang I twisted the pinion off where the oil seal had cut a groove in it so when he said something about the inter axle seal I could see where he was coming from on it hope this helps.

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum