BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MSD 6AL MISSFIRE???

3 posters

Go down

MSD 6AL  MISSFIRE??? Empty MSD 6AL MISSFIRE???

Post  blown473 April 5th 2010, 8:35 pm

All of a sudden out of the blue my engine is having longer cranking, some backfire, and will miss at load/slow drive speeds, then warm up and clean up. I have checked the following: went to new back up coil, changed dist cap, checked wires, changed plugs, checked compression, adjusted fuel pressure down about 1/2 lb to 7 psi , checked timing-dist hold down was slightly loose so i reset and tightened. The only component I can't test at home is the MSD 6al box. Has anybody had one go out like this? Its about 6 years old, but only about 3500 miles on it. I tried running it with the rpm module out, and no difference. Any ideas???? No
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

MSD 6AL  MISSFIRE??? Empty Re: MSD 6AL MISSFIRE???

Post  maverick April 5th 2010, 9:12 pm

That's a new one on me.....Anytime I've seen an MSD go bad, it STAYED bad. Are you running any type of choke?
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

MSD 6AL  MISSFIRE??? Empty more on missfire

Post  blown473 April 5th 2010, 9:31 pm

No chokes, a pair of Edelbrock 750's on top of a 871 blower, we removed the choke plates and all linkages to them. Plugs look good front to back, I pulled them and put in fresh, then compared the old to the last 2 other sets I've changed and no real differences. My Mallory dist. has a Petronix in it thats maybe a 6 months old tops, I don't think thats it either, but you never know. I haven't done any real changes to my combo in many years, its always run great, this is a weird one... pale
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon April 5th 2010, 9:40 pm

I had a 6AL go bad . It had a dead miss and a backfire. Changed everything including dist. & wires. At the end it was the Box. No warning. It's CRAZY but it happens. Shocked Rolling Eyes

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

MSD 6AL  MISSFIRE??? Empty Thanks Tweety!

Post  blown473 April 5th 2010, 10:41 pm

I think tomorrow I will try unhooking the 6Al box and just run it on the coil and see what happens. I didn't find any vacuum leaks and the carbs seem ok, so I'll keep trying the process of elimination , hopefully I'll find it. I have an event in 9 days and I've got to get her ready... Thanks everybody for the input! Greg blown473
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down